ImageImageImage

College players thread/ Draft Related thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#661 » by john2jer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 am

Does Tyreke Evans looked to be a guard in the Joe Johnson, Dwayne Wade, Brandon Roy mold? Maybe not at their level, that's big shoes to fill, but just ball dominating guards with great size who can score and have good court vision to set others up as well?

Even if Tyreke doesn't turn into a regular point guard, I think he's the type of guard that would pair very well with Randy Foye.

Vasquez could possibly fall into the 2nd round, so I think the Boston pick or our earliest 2nd rounder would be a better bet there. He's got talent, but he can be very wild and make poor decisions. But I do like his potential if he can be drawn in.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,896

Post#662 » by Zeitgeister » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:20 am

I'm highly considering Al-Farouq Aminu as our best option where we would be picking in the draft and it looks like draft express has him ranked there as well. According to Draft Express, they think he might have the most potential in the draft. I know that SF isn't our biggest need, but the need is there. I also know that some people aren't ready to give up on Brewer yet, but I think you have to bring Aminu in and give Brewer some competition at least.

Originally I really wanted Jrue Holliday, and I still like him a lot as a prospect but he obviously has some limitations offensively. I'm guessing he'll stay another year anyway so that he can play the point guard position full time, we'll see.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#663 » by AQuintus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 am

john2jer wrote:Does Tyreke Evans looked to be a guard in the Joe Johnson, Dwayne Wade, Brandon Roy mold? Maybe not at their level, that's big shoes to fill, but just ball dominating guards with great size who can score and have good court vision to set others up as well?

I haven't seen a lot of Evans, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from what I have seen, he looks exactly like Jamal Crawford.

Zeitgeister wrote:I'm highly considering Al-Farouq Aminu as our best option where we would be picking in the draft and it looks like draft express has him ranked there as well. According to Draft Express, they think he might have the most potential in the draft.

I really like Aminu, too, but from what I've seen and read, he might project to be more of a PF/SF than a SF/PF long term, and as much as I like PFs, I think that we might have enough on this team.

With that said, I think he would be the third on my list of guys I want on the team, after Rubio and Holiday.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#664 » by horaceworthy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm

john2jer wrote:Does Tyreke Evans looked to be a guard in the Joe Johnson, Dwayne Wade, Brandon Roy mold? Maybe not at their level, that's big shoes to fill, but just ball dominating guards with great size who can score and have good court vision to set others up as well?

Long term, the role Evans will probably fill will be that of a shooting guard that's also his team's primary ballhandler in the halfcourt. He's kind of like Wade without the high BBIQ, consistent jumpshot (which Wade's had from mid-range since he came into the league), elite leaping ability and some quickness.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
john2jer
RealGM

Post#665 » by john2jer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm

horaceworthy wrote:

Long term, the role Evans will probably fill will be that of a shooting guard that's also his team's primary ballhandler in the halfcourt. He's kind of like Wade without the high BBIQ, consistent jumpshot (which Wade's had from mid-range since he came into the league), elite leaping ability and some quickness.

So what you're saying is he's EXACTLY like Michael Jordan, except without the talent, cigars, potential baseball career, and underwear commercials?
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#666 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:50 am

According to his blog, Brandon Jennings had his first double-double. 13 pts, 10 stls.

Draft Express now has his best case as Tony Parker (worst case Telfair, ha).

Don't sleep on this kid.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#667 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:23 pm

the problem with Jennings is that I can't watch him at all, just have to take the word of people who can
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#668 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:40 pm

AQuintus wrote:

I haven't seen a lot of Evans, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from what I have seen, he looks exactly like Jamal Crawford.

I see him like Lebron sans the size/athleticism; which of course is a much much inferior player, but I like the mentality still of getting into the paint and if he fills out some more physically, he could be pretty dangerous around the rim in the NBA. Unfortunately he also seems to emulate Lebrons off-balance jump shot...

He's all potential right now, if what he is now is all he is in the NBA, then he's a wasted pick, but I like his potential as far as his game translating and what he could be in the future if he keeps improving. He could be one of those 10 FTA a game guys. Also, his picks are non-existent at Memphis, if he can get some good picks from our big boys, I like his potential there; not to mention having somebody to dish it off to inside that can finish. Craig and Al could make a living standing next to the rim for layups.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 78

Post#669 » by PeeDee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I see him like Lebron sans the size/athleticism; which of course is a much much inferior player, but I like the mentality still of getting into the paint and if he fills out some more physically, he could be pretty dangerous around the rim in the NBA. Unfortunately he also seems to emulate Lebrons off-balance jump shot...

He's all potential right now, if what he is now is all he is in the NBA, then he's a wasted pick, but I like his potential as far as his game translating and what he could be in the future if he keeps improving. He could be one of those 10 FTA a game guys. Also, his picks are non-existent at Memphis, if he can get some good picks from our big boys, I like his potential there; not to mention having somebody to dish it off to inside that can finish. Craig and Al could make a living standing next to the rim for layups.

Excellent take. I agree 100%.

On another note, I was messing around with the Lottery thingy on ESPN, Ford now has Willie Warren on our draft board. I haven't been paying attention to this kid at all, anyone have a take on him?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#670 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 pm

I've been wondering about Warren too, I don't know anything about him outside of box scores, but he seems productive and the profiles on the draftboards say he's athletic w/ long arms. Kind of excessive in his 3 point attempts judging by the box scores, but I guess if you can shoot the ball.

DX has his best case/worst case as Ben Gordon/Rashad McCants....kinda scary
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#671 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm

I've been wondering about Warren too.

Anyone know if he projects as a 1? I have seem him listed as a SG, as a PG, and as a PG/SG.

I'm wondering if Eric Gordon with less slashing ability might be a better comparison?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#672 » by PeeDee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Stuckey?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#673 » by revprodeji » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:20 pm

No, Jrue is the stuckey guy, I do not like Warren.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#674 » by PeeDee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

revprodeji wrote:No, Jrue is the sucky guy, I do not like Warren.

Fixed!

:D Just Kidding, Rev. Don't get mad at me.
zauchary
Junior
And1: 28

Post#675 » by zauchary » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 pm

warren is a terrible fit.... evan turner should get a hard look, especially if he is there with the second pick as he is in the dx mock.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#676 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:06 pm

you know what I really like about Turner: 1.9 stl/7.4 reb/.513 fg%/and 179 FTA to only 20 3pa

what I DON'T like is Ohio St being 69th in defense in the country, and not much better offensively; makes me figure he's not that much of an impact player, so I probably wouldn't consider him until the teens.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#677 » by C.lupus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 pm

I'm intrigued by Nick Calathes and there hasn't been much talk about him here. What do others think of him? He might have trouble scoring in the NBA but he could be a tall pg to fit next to Foye.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#678 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:53 pm

C.lupus wrote:I'm intrigued by Nick Calathes and there hasn't been much talk about him here. What do others think of him? He might have trouble scoring in the NBA but he could be a tall pg to fit next to Foye.

I like him as well, but I have a hard time placing him in the draft. Miami's pick maybe? He's been compared to a taller version of Steve Nash. That's HUGE praise, especially in the right system. draftexpress has him 16th in 2010. But his stock has been rising, I believe and there's talk of im in 2009 with a good tourney run. I'm intrigured by other prospects in the Miami pick range more, like Evans or Summers, but if he slipped to Boston's pick and we've gottena legit big and/or Jordan is gone, I'd be intrigued in him there.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,631

Post#679 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:you know what I really like about Turner: 1.9 stl/7.4 reb/.513 fg%/and 179 FTA to only 20 3pa

Actually his lack of three pointers is something I hate, spread the floor.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#680 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:40 pm

I know, but I'd rather a guy rely on going to the rim as a crutch than hoist a 3. He took a lot more attempts last year and only hit a 3rd of his shots, but he's at 45% now; maybe he's being more diligent in his shot selection. And I always assume guys will become better shooters as they get older.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves