Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is a steal.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,068

Re: Jaden McDaniels EXTENDS 5/136! 

Post#762 » by wolves_89 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:38 pm

I'm more than a bit shocked he signed for less than Vassell. I had come to terms with Jaden getting something around 5 years/$150M.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,291

Post#763 » by shrink » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:48 pm

wolves_89 wrote:I'm more than a bit shocked he signed for less than Vassell. I had come to terms with Jaden getting something around 5 years/$150M.

Yeah, especially since Doogie said that Vassell’s big number was discussed when they made this deal!

One last comment, and I’ll try to shut up. I LOVE how the incentives are tied to defensive accolades. Too often we see players who focus on the offensive side when they want to get paid. Jaden can play both ends, but has always said he gets more excited shutting down opponents than scoring himself. I love that he has been willing to sacrifice for this offensively-oriented team for years, and his contract will reward him for it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,476

Post#764 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:53 pm

This negotiation was a back-and-forth process the whole way through. The Timberwolves started discussions with McDaniels’ camp in July, but the parameters for a deal changed drastically when the San Antonio Spurs signed Devin Vassell to a five-year, $135 million deal. As late as Monday morning, there was still some question about whether this would get done.

Though he hasn’t been the scorer Vassell has been, McDaniels is still widely considered one of the best young two-way players in the league. He is a foundational piece of what the Timberwolves are building with Edwards, Towns and Gobert, and after a lot of negotiation between Wolves ownership and Namakian and Duffy, the two sides were able to come to an agreement on Monday afternoon. — Krawczynski

https://theathletic.com/4990818/2023/10/23/jaden-mcdaniels-timberwolves-extension/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#765 » by younggunsmn » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:58 pm

Great deal and at a great number!

TC held firm right until the end, even after Vassell blew up his strategy with his deal.
Sounds like ownership was involved a lot too.
Probably came up 1-2 mil per from where he started, but ends up closer to where TC started than what Jaden wanted IMHO.
Lot of talking heads including Zach Lowe were talking about 30 per after that Vassell deal.
Bill Duffy continues to be one of the best at doing right by his clients.

5/131 with 5 mil/year in incentives and escalating.

First year of 22.6 million, yearly raises of about 1.8 milion

Assuming a 10% bump in the cap next season, cap would be 149.5 million.

Jaden's deal would sit at about 15.1% of the cap, plus the opportunity to earn another .6%.
That's a very good number, and close to the estimate of about 1/6 the cap I was spitballing earlier in this thread.
Should sit between 14.5-17% of the cap in future years depending on year to year cap spikes.

It's going to be great for the team not to have his restricted free agency hanging over the team like a cloud all season.
Now get healthy Jaden and pull a Bridges so that contract looks like an absolute steal!
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#766 » by wolves_89 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:27 am

One other thought I had when I saw Jaden's salary number for next season is that there could be a real path to staying under the second apron in 2024-25 (if neither Conley nor Anderson are re-signed). I believe that the current estimate for the second apron in 2024-25 is just over $190M. Currently the Wolves have 11 players under contract at around $185M.

Trading Brown would get it down to $181M for 10 players. If our 1st round pick is in the 20s (meaning a starting salary around $3M), we sign a second-round pick to a minimum deal (around $1.1M starting salary), and sign 2 regular vet minimums I think we would be right about at the 2nd apron threshold for 14 players.

I'm not sure that this would be a good path to follow, but I think it could be an option.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#767 » by younggunsmn » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:32 am

Yeah staying under the 2nd apron is a real possibility, but not if Ant earns a supermax.
Brown and Milton's '24 salaries are both fully unguaranteed.
We could move our 1st for a future 1st to save money.

But I have a hard time seeing Conley or Anderson back unless one of KAT, Gobert, or Naz is moved.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,458

Post#768 » by Baseline81 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:37 am

KGdaBom wrote:You have a right to that opinion. I have a right to think the same about yours.

Not to be a prick, but you've been wrong recently more times than right.

From not wanting Edwards in the draft to being one of the loudest proponents for Gobert...
shrink
RealGM

Post#769 » by shrink » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:06 am

wolves_89 wrote:One other thought I had when I saw Jaden's salary number for next season is that there could be a real path to staying under the second apron in 2024-25 (if neither Conley nor Anderson are re-signed). I believe that the current estimate for the second apron in 2024-25 is just over $190M. Currently the Wolves have 11 players under contract at around $185M.

Trading Brown would get it down to $181M for 10 players. If our 1st round pick is in the 20s (meaning a starting salary around $3M), we sign a second-round pick to a minimum deal (around $1.1M starting salary), and sign 2 regular vet minimums I think we would be right about at the 2nd apron threshold for 14 players.

I'm not sure that this would be a good path to follow, but I think it could be an option.

There will likely be more room than that. The NBA chose a very conservative 4.4% projection for growth with the weird local tv deal issues, but it’s very likely that the cap will rise a full 10%! That would mean a salary cap of $149.6, and a second apron a little over $200 mil! That extra $10 mil could be critical to maintaining some of the Wolves impressive depth this year!
shrink
RealGM

Post#770 » by shrink » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:22 am

Btw, if you’re scared of that second apron, I saw something that made me feel a little better.

Smitty predicted we’d be one of seven teams paying lux taxes, but not exceeding that apron. However, there are six additional teams he thought would be over the apron (BOS,GSW,LAC,MEM,MIL,PHX)!

We’re spending like a competitor, but not as excessively as several others.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#771 » by Dewey » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:34 am

Well … IMO we are either positioning $$ for a future trade (deadline or off-season), or pretty much assuring the 2024 draft pick will be our next PG.

We shall see
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,743

Post#772 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:47 am

younggunsmn wrote:Yeah staying under the 2nd apron is a real possibility, but not if Ant earns a supermax.

But I have a hard time seeing Conley or Anderson back unless one of KAT, Gobert, or Naz is moved.

2nd apron should be around 200m. We should have about 8mil for Conley and best wishes for KA. Maybe losing Brown + JMcL in the process.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Post#773 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:06 am

Baseline81 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You have a right to that opinion. I have a right to think the same about yours.

Not to be a prick, but you've been wrong recently more times than right.

From not wanting Edwards in the draft to being one of the loudest proponents for Gobert...

Why would you say not to be a prick unless you think your post is being a prick. You could have just left that out.

Go back and check. I may not have wanted Edwards at first, but by the time the draft came I did. I also wanted Wiseman. I also wanted Okongwu and a player in a trade. I stated I would be happy with any of those moves. Who I didn't want was Ball. He's turned out to be much better than I thought so I was wrong about him. I sure had Kessler right. I didn't want the Gobert trade because of preferring to keep Kessler. I am a proponent for Gobert and hopefully that acquisition leads to an NBA title. I would hope that all Wolves fans would be proponents of him.

Of course I get some wrong. I think Neeva is wrong more often than I am. I have recently been responding to rudeness with rudeness. I think I will just let it go more often. I'll try.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#774 » by wolves_89 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:03 am

shrink wrote:Btw, if you’re scared of that second apron, I saw something that made me feel a little better.

Smitty predicted we’d be one of seven teams paying lux taxes, but not exceeding that apron. However, there are six additional teams he thought would be over the apron (BOS,GSW,LAC,MEM,MIL,PHX)!

We’re spending like a competitor, but not as excessively as several others.

Other than monetary penalties, the second apron isn't all that big an issue if the team's roster is largely returning. For the Wolves, going over the second apron in the 2024-25 season should be fairly easy since most of the rotation is under contract and there are some developmental prospects that should be ready for rotation minutes.

The challenge would come in 2025-26 when the NAW, Milton, and Brown contracts expire and Conley turns 38 (assuming he gets re-signed after this season). The second apron makes it very hard to replace players, so losing guys in free agency would make maintaining the rotation a challenge. On the positive side, Gobert's contract expires in 2025-26 and after that things get much easier.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#775 » by wolves_89 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 am

shrink wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:One other thought I had when I saw Jaden's salary number for next season is that there could be a real path to staying under the second apron in 2024-25 (if neither Conley nor Anderson are re-signed). I believe that the current estimate for the second apron in 2024-25 is just over $190M. Currently the Wolves have 11 players under contract at around $185M.

There will likely be more room than that. The NBA chose a very conservative 4.4% projection for growth with the weird local tv deal issues, but it’s very likely that the cap will rise a full 10%! That would mean a salary cap of $149.6, and a second apron a little over $200 mil! That extra $10 mil could be critical to maintaining some of the Wolves impressive depth this year!

An extra $10M could very well allow the Wolves to bring back Conley (at around $12M for the year). Being able to bring back 8 of our top 9 players (I don't see Anderson getting re-signed) with Minott and/or Miller filling out the rotation sounds pretty good for 2024-25, especially if the Wolves could do it without going over the second apron.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 509

Post#776 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:56 am

younggunsmn wrote:Yeah staying under the 2nd apron is a real possibility, but not if Ant earns a supermax.

I'm totally convinced ( i may be wrong) that if we do not reach at least 2nd round of PO, FO will move KAT or Rudy. Which will give us some flexibility. Obviously Rudy may be much more difficult to move than KAT.
twolves31
Junior
And1: 255

Post#777 » by twolves31 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:34 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:

I'm totally convinced ( i may be wrong) that if we do not reach at least 2nd round of PO, FO will move KAT or Rudy. Which will give us some flexibility. Obviously Rudy may be much more difficult to move than KAT.

As long as we are relatively healthy, I see no reason we aren't making it to the 2nd round next season. Bring on Denver in the WCF, we want revenge with a healthy Jaden, Naz, and Shake and Brown added in.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,476

Post#778 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:25 pm

I think it's worth bringing up...

They are listed as "unlikely incentives" for cap purposes, but I personally don't see them as unlikely in terms of if Jaden can/will reach them. All-defense and DPOY are right up his alley and very attainable. I haven't seen the exact structure of the incentives, but if I had to guess I'd say there is a 500k bonus/incentive for all-defense and DPOY in every season.

I appreciate that the incentives are on the defensive end, because it will keep him motivated on that end. He won't be chasing points for a bigger pay day.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#779 » by younggunsmn » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:14 pm

All-Defense is very obtainable. DPOY not so much.
That one usually goes to a big.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,743

Post#780 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:03 pm

younggunsmn wrote:All-Defense is very obtainable. DPOY not so much.
That one usually goes to a big.

I don't mind paying an extra two or three mils if he wins those award. I actually would prefer his base be 20mil per year and 2mil for NBA D 2nd team 2 more mil for NBA D 1st and 3 more mil for DPOY. So 27Mil per year contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves