ImageImageImage

The Official Chris Finch Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Re: The "Fire Chris Finch" Thread 

Post#81 » by fattymcgee » Sun Mar 5, 2023 11:07 pm

Jeff Van Gundy calling the Lakers-Warriors game had a nice little bit about the Timberwolves:

“And a quick, shout out, to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Playing for so very long without Karl-Anthony Towns. To be in the position they’re in, to win here, to go up to Sacramento last night, and win, in what some tell me is the largest arena in the league right now? They’ve done a great job at managing their situation, their roster, Chris Finch, lot of praise to go around. Outstanding job.”
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,757

Post#82 » by TimberKat » Mon Mar 6, 2023 2:51 am

Domejandro wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:Hush you, no facts allowed in here.

What is so statistically significant about since Jan 1st? Did the team had New Year dinner at DLo's house and hash out a new way to play? What about the Wolves' record compared with the league for: the last 20 games? since 12/20? Since 1/11? On Saturdays? Or the last 30? Maybe 10 games moving avg?

Feels like since Jan 1st is a feel good fact.

...Couldn't you say that literally any cutoff is arbitrary? Out of all arbitrary cutoffs, I think citing the new year (being a 29 game sample size) is pretty fair.

The true is we been a .500 team all year. “Since Jan 1st” - just so happen to coincide with the end of a losing streak and the start of a winning streak so it looks better than what’s real. If we look at our record from Oct 19 to Dec 19, we were 16-15. Thanks to the current 3 game winning streak, from Jan 11 – Mar 4, Wolves are 14-11; last 20 is 12-8; last 10 is 5-5. None of those time slices look like a top 5 in the western conference.

Yes, that New Year’s Eve game vs Detroit was really bad. I only had one beer but throw up twice after watching it. I like to believe the team had a come to Jesus meeting after the game and turn things around. However, once we take out the initial little winning streak, we regressed back to .500.

We been average all year long and never more than 2 games above .500. The last 7 games are the best we played with 4 signature wins. I don’t remember any game outside the 7 where I feel like we have a winning identity. We are what our records show, now can you handle the true? :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,324

Post#83 » by shrink » Mon Mar 6, 2023 4:49 am

TimberKat wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
TimberKat wrote:What is so statistically significant about since Jan 1st? Did the team had New Year dinner at DLo's house and hash out a new way to play? What about the Wolves' record compared with the league for: the last 20 games? since 12/20? Since 1/11? On Saturdays? Or the last 30? Maybe 10 games moving avg?

Feels like since Jan 1st is a feel good fact.

...Couldn't you say that literally any cutoff is arbitrary? Out of all arbitrary cutoffs, I think citing the new year (being a 29 game sample size) is pretty fair.

The true is we been a .500 team all year. “Since Jan 1st” - just so happen to coincide with the end of a losing streak and the start of a winning streak so it looks better than what’s real. If we look at our record from Oct 19 to Dec 19, we were 16-15. Thanks to the current 3 game winning streak, from Jan 11 – Mar 4, Wolves are 14-11; last 20 is 12-8; last 10 is 5-5. None of those time slices look like a top 5 in the western conference.

Yes, that New Year’s Eve game vs Detroit was really bad. I only had one beer but throw up twice after watching it. I like to believe the team had a come to Jesus meeting after the game and turn things around. However, once we take out the initial little winning streak, we regressed back to .500.

We been average all year long and never more than 2 games above .500. The last 7 games are the best we played with 4 signature wins. I don’t remember any game outside the 7 where I feel like we have a winning identity. We are what our records show, now can you handle the true? :D

Is January 1 arbitrary? Perhaps, but picking that static date is less arbitrary than picking a date like January 11, to try to get a result you want.

But if you believe that things change and grow, we need to choose some dates to demonstrate that. You picked the start of this season as your arbitrary date. The Wolves are 1083-1613 for franchise history. Should we use that number instead to represent who the Wolves are, because it’s the least arbitrary we can get?

I have no problem using January 1. I think the team right now has improved since December 2022, and pointing out the change over that time period is worthwhile when we try to assess who the team is now.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#84 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:54 am

shrink wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Domejandro wrote:...Couldn't you say that literally any cutoff is arbitrary? Out of all arbitrary cutoffs, I think citing the new year (being a 29 game sample size) is pretty fair.

Is January 1 arbitrary? Perhaps, but picking that static date is less arbitrary than picking a date like January 11, to try to get a result you want.

But if you believe that things change and grow, we need to choose some dates to demonstrate that. You picked the start of this season as your arbitrary date. The Wolves are 1083-1613 for franchise history. Should we use that number instead to represent who the Wolves are, because it’s the least arbitrary we can get?

I have no problem using January 1. I think the team right now has improved since December 2022, and pointing out the change over that time period is worthwhile when we try to assess who the team is now.

My point was Jan 1st is not an arbitrary date because how the Wolves had their winning/losing streaks. The fact that they had the 3rd best record since Jan 1st is very meaningless. Can we claim the Wolves is the 3rd best team in the West since Jan 1st (which means now)? Would Vegas set their odds thinking Wolves is the 3rd best team? It’s one of those feel-good facts like I am a very special person because the odds of me turning out exactly who I am and typing up this msg at this moment is astronomical. The truth is we are a very average team right now.

It’s just all fun and games :D . By the way, Jan 11th is not arbitrary either, I throw out the winning streak for a better representation. I would use 10 game moving avg to see where the team is going.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,513

Post#85 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:40 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#86 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:50 am

What stands out to me is not Finch won 7 of 8 but the fact that Wolves were trailing by 10 in 162 games over the pass 5 years which is around 40% of all the games (this season is not over yet). All we got was Ant and JMac for those blowouts? Those two were in the same draft class too. That is bad GM.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 843

Post#87 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:23 am

Finch is number 2 all time wins as head coach behind only Flip Saunders

Props to him
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#88 » by minimus » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:58 am

Yeah, fire Finch! Let's hire Quinn Snyder, he is definitely better. Oh, wait...
TimberKat
Analyst

Re: The 

Post#89 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:15 pm

minimus wrote:Yeah, fire Finch! Let's hire Quinn Snyder, he is definitely better. Oh, wait...

Wait... Snyder is not available anymore :D
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#90 » by urinesane » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:28 am

To those who want Finch fired (aka short sighted dumb dumbs) who would you replace him with that's a clear upgrade?

I'll hang up and listen.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#91 » by minimus » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:14 am

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:Yeah, fire Finch! Let's hire Quinn Snyder, he is definitely better. Oh, wait...

Wait, did not we won two games against ATL and Snyder who knows Gobert strengths and weaknesses more than anyone?
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#92 » by TwolvesFanRome » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:16 am

Very very glad to see this video!!

Read on Twitter
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,269

Post#93 » by GopherIt! » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:17 am

minimus wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

Wait, did not we won two games against ATL and Snyder who knows Gobert strengths and weaknesses more than anyone?

Quin didn’t want to make Rudy look bad cause he’s his guy and he will trade us a whole bunch of draft picks for him this summer. /s
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,068

Post#94 » by wolves_89 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:46 am

Read on Twitter

It's hard to believe that in 34 seasons Finch is only the second Wolves coach to get to 100 wins.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#95 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:42 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's hard to believe that in 34 seasons Finch is only the second Wolves coach to get to 100 wins.

It's still insane that Chris Finch in just over two calendar years has reached 100 wins when he took over a 7-24 team.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by urinesane » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 pm

GopherIt! wrote:
minimus wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Wait... Snyder is not available anymore :D

Quin didn’t want to make Rudy look bad cause he’s his guy and he will trade us a whole bunch of draft picks for him this summer. /s

Didn't he resign from Utah because he couldn't make it work with Rudy and Mitchell?
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by urinesane » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:26 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not if you've been watching the team since Flip was fired lol :lol:
yojimbo
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#98 » by yojimbo » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:14 pm

^This. I've been here for all 34 seasons and it's not hard to believe at all.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by urinesane » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:21 pm

Quick summary for those just joining the thread...
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#100 » by TimberKat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:49 pm

yojimbo wrote:^This. I've been here for all 34 seasons and it's not hard to believe at all.

If we stay above.500 (which I think we will ), it will than be our 3rd time over .500 since (after) 04-05 season. For you Finch fans, he will own two of the three. I didn't think we were that bad for so long.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves