ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#81 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:19 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Domejandro wrote:The role-player arms race is pretty intense, in the Western Conference.

Read on Twitter

Royce is a big upgrade over Okogie. Not thrilled with this one...

I don’t know what the actual **** TC was thinking not trading Kyle for him. Royce would have been a huge Kyle upgrade. Could have easily beat that price.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#82 » by eminence » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:20 pm

Danuel House wouldn't be the worst pickup.
I bought a boat.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Post#83 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:20 pm

shangrila wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
shangrila wrote:If we're relying on buyout players to play actual meaningful minutes for us then we're screwed.

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed. Monte Morris isn't going to resolve our issues and a lot of our competition either improved or stood pat.

Morris is a solid pickup and there will be shooting on the buyout market. McDermott would be helpful. I'm glad they still have Anderson. He has his issues, but he's a great big wing defender. Plus, I'm happy they kept both 2024 draft picks.

They now have nine players in the rotation - with Morris, NAW, Anderson and Reid off the bench. McDermott could make it 10.

It's been a solid deadline.

My complaint isn't with Morris as a player, he's fine. The issue is he's not resolving as many problems as people seem to think.

If our turnover issues were solvable by playing a PG with an amazing AST:TO ratio then they'd have been fixed the minute we started playing JMAC more. But our offensive issues run far deeper than that.

Also, unless I missed something, I haven't seen anything definitive saying McDermott is getting bought out right? So while he would be a nice add at this stage it's wishful thinking.

Thankfully he's also a really good 3 level scorer that needs to be respected.

Read on Twitter
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,246

Post#84 » by Neeva » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Domejandro wrote:The role-player arms race is pretty intense, in the Western Conference.

Read on Twitter

I don’t know what the actual **** TC was thinking not trading Kyle for him. Royce would have been a huge Kyle upgrade. Could have easily beat that price.

Unfortunately it seems Finch has grown way too attached to Slowmo.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#85 » by shangrila » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:23 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah, this is what I was referencing above.

Phoenix improved and now that they're healthy they're looking a lot better anyway. Dallas improved their frontline, regardless of whether the Gafford trade goes through, so if they can stay healthy they'll be more dangerous down the stretch. Oklahoma arguably got better with the Hayward addition.

Meanwhile we've seemingly peaked in 2023 and added a guy who currently isn't playing well that we hope can shake off enough rust to fix our inept offence.

I'm going to seem like a pessimist but I just can't see this whole situation as a positive for us. Without some frankly unprecedented growth from Ant and Jaden I can see us headed for disappointment.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#86 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:23 pm

Neeva wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Unfortunately it seems Finch has grown way too attached to Slowmo.

When the guy makes you 7 points worse per 100 possessions, I don’t care if they live together, braid each others hair, and have a full on bromance, you trade the dead weight and get your team to a title.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:25 pm

shangrila wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah, this is what I was referencing above.

Phoenix improved and now that they're healthy they're looking a lot better anyway. Dallas improved their frontline, regardless of whether the Gafford trade goes through, so if they can stay healthy they'll be more dangerous down the stretch. Oklahoma arguably got better with the Hayward addition.

Meanwhile we've seemingly peaked in 2023 and added a guy who currently isn't playing well that we hope can shake off enough rust to fix our inept offence.

I'm going to seem like a pessimist but I just can't see this whole situation as a positive for us. Without some frankly unprecedented growth from Ant and Jaden I can see us headed for disappointment.

I don't believe there is anyone we could've traded for that would make that statement untrue.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,887

Post#88 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:26 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Read on Twitter

He's a substantially worse defender than Kyle Anderson and pretty inefficient. The spacing consideration alone might make him a better fit, but honestly, I have always been relatively lower on Royce O'Neal than most.

Kyle Anderson has been absolutely brutal this season, but with him moving back towards a 12-18 minute a night role, he shouldn't be an absolute killer, on the court.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#89 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:27 pm

Domejandro wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

He's a substantially worse defender than Kyle Anderson and pretty inefficient. The spacing consideration alone might make him a better fit, but honestly, I have always been relatively lower on Royce O'Neal than most.

Kyle’s turnovers and defensive lapses have significantly lowered his floor. Add in the spacing issues and the unwillingness to adjust his game (what in the world is he doing in the corners,) and I don’t think Royce can possibly be worse than Kyle.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#90 » by shangrila » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:28 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shangrila wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
Morris is a solid pickup and there will be shooting on the buyout market. McDermott would be helpful. I'm glad they still have Anderson. He has his issues, but he's a great big wing defender. Plus, I'm happy they kept both 2024 draft picks.

They now have nine players in the rotation - with Morris, NAW, Anderson and Reid off the bench. McDermott could make it 10.

It's been a solid deadline.

My complaint isn't with Morris as a player, he's fine. The issue is he's not resolving as many problems as people seem to think.

If our turnover issues were solvable by playing a PG with an amazing AST:TO ratio then they'd have been fixed the minute we started playing JMAC more. But our offensive issues run far deeper than that.

Also, unless I missed something, I haven't seen anything definitive saying McDermott is getting bought out right? So while he would be a nice add at this stage it's wishful thinking.

Thankfully he's also a really good 3 level scorer that needs to be respected.

Read on Twitter

I'd need to see the actual shot attempt breakdown for that to give me real hope. Shooting 60% at the rim is nice and all but if it's on 1 attempt a game it's meaningless.

I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to temper expectations. This fanbase can be so bipolar with this crap and it's utterly exhausting just watching people swing from "this is the greatest team ever!" to "burn it all down and salt the earth!" in a quarter.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:28 pm

Domejandro wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Kyle Anderson has been absolutely brutal this season, but with him moving back towards a 12-18 minute a night role, he shouldn't be an absolute killer, on the court.

Right. Use KA for defensive purposes - especially when Jaden is struggling. But make sure there are plenty of shooters out there with him.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#92 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:33 pm

I am getting concerned about the Luxury-Tax situation. I get that it would be a last minute deal, but that would be an absurd financial fumble. I can't imagine just rolling forward with the risk, but simultaneously not just go over the Luxury-Tax during the Trade Deadline anyways.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#93 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:35 pm

Domejandro wrote:I am getting concerned about the Luxury-Tax situation. I get that it would be a last minute deal, but that would be an absurd financial fumble. I can't imagine just rolling forward with the risk, but simultaneously not just go over the Luxury-Tax during the Trade Deadline anyways.

If we get eliminated in the first round or even the second round, we are gonna look back on today and ask what if we can we were more aggressive with the tax and less conservative with keeping Kyle.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#94 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:36 pm

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I am getting concerned about the Luxury-Tax situation. I get that it would be a last minute deal, but that would be an absurd financial fumble. I can't imagine just rolling forward with the risk, but simultaneously not just go over the Luxury-Tax during the Trade Deadline anyways.

If we get eliminated in the first round or even the second round, we are gonna look back on today and ask what if we can we were more aggressive with the tax and less conservative with keeping Kyle.

Personally, I am 100% comfortable with that risk, as long as there isn't a simultaneous risk of going over the Luxury-Tax because the team is unwilling to make a minor cost-cutting move on the fringe. Just seems really dumb to keep one foot in and one foot out on something that has high eight figures worth of implications.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#95 » by shangrila » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:39 pm

Domejandro wrote:I am getting concerned about the Luxury-Tax thing. I get that it would be a last minute deal, but that would be an absurd financial fumble. I can't imagine just rolling forward with the risk, but simultaneously not just go over the Luxury-Tax during the Trade Deadline anyways.

From what I understand Conley gets 750k if we make the Finals and that's doubled if we win the championship.

Since we've got a little over 1.5mil in space before the lux I believe they can sign a buyout guy without going into the lux if they make the Finals. If we win the championship then yes, they'll be in the lux, but at that point who cares?

Even if getting to the Finals does put the team into the lux, again, who cares? A Finals appearance would make this the greatest team in franchise history.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,665

Post#96 » by jpatrick » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:42 pm

My hope is that when we inevitably sign Fournier, he gets those 10-15 minutes Kyle would play on the wing. And Kyle goes back to being our 4th big, which means very little playing time. Kyle is a good insurance policy in case of one of bigs being out but he cannot play big minutes on the wing.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#97 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:46 pm

shangrila wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I am getting concerned about the Luxury-Tax thing. I get that it would be a last minute deal, but that would be an absurd financial fumble. I can't imagine just rolling forward with the risk, but simultaneously not just go over the Luxury-Tax during the Trade Deadline anyways.

From what I understand Conley gets 750k if we make the Finals and that's doubled if we win the championship.

Since we've got a little over 1.5mil in space before the lux I believe they can sign a buyout guy without going into the lux if they make the Finals. If we win the championship then yes, they'll be in the lux, but at that point who cares?

Even if getting to the Finals does put the team into the lux, again, who cares? A Finals appearance would make this the greatest team in franchise history.

The issue is that we are talking about moving off of Wendell Moore Jr. to avoid an early Reapeter-Tax. I totally understand the "If Minnesota wins a Championship, who cares?"-mentality, but then having the Reapeter-Tax pushed back a year further to go all-in on retaining talent would be incredibly important.

It seems like a minor bookkeeping thing, but why would the team even put itself in a position to be financially crippled when the solution seems pretty clear?
shangrila
RealGM

Post#98 » by shangrila » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:52 pm

Domejandro wrote:
shangrila wrote:

The issue is that we are talking about moving off of Wendell Moore Jr. to avoid an early Reapeter-Tax. I totally understand the "If Minnesota wins a Championship, who cares?"-mentality, but then having the Reapeter-Tax pushed back a year further to go all-in on retaining talent would be incredibly important.

It seems like a minor bookkeeping thing, but why would the team even put itself in a position to be financially crippled when the solution seems pretty clear?

You're operating under the assumption that Wendell Moore can be easily moved. To be fair this isn't just you, but I've seen this pushed by several posters that we can just move Moore into capspace for cash and it makes me think...why? What team would do that?

And apparently the answer to that is "no one" since it hasn't happened, so let me flip this back to you and ask; would you trade Moore and draft compensation, even just a 2nd, for capspace for the chance to dodge the tax if we make the Finals and/or win a championship?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#99 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:55 pm

shangrila wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
shangrila wrote:From what I understand Conley gets 750k if we make the Finals and that's doubled if we win the championship.

You're operating under the assumption that Wendell Moore can be easily moved. To be fair this isn't just you, but I've seen this pushed by several posters that we can just move Moore into capspace for cash and it makes me think...why? What team would do that?

And apparently the answer to that is "no one" since it hasn't happened, so let me flip this back to you and ask; would you trade Moore and draft compensation, even just a 2nd, for capspace for the chance to dodge the tax if we make the Finals and/or win a championship?

I would comfortably trade the "2026 least favorable of Indiana, Miami or San Antonio " Second Round Draft Pick to clear his salary. Would give Minnesota flexibility to sign two veterans and a rookie (getting to fifteen slots)
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,068

Post#100 » by wolves_89 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:55 pm

The buyout market for shooting looks a lot thinner after today's trades. I'm not all that excited about an Evan Fournier or Joe Harris pickup.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves