The Positivity Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,723

Re: The Positivity Thread 

Post#421 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:56 pm

We could get a signature win here soon. Maybe against Philly. Get one of those and we can really build off of that.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,227

Post#422 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 pm

Calinks wrote:We could get a signature win here soon. Maybe against Philly. Get one of those and we can really build off of that.

It's an interesting stretch. We have a few veteran teams with disappointing starts (PHI, MIA, GSW, LAC, CHI, DAL) plus a few teams that most people believe have been punching above their weight to start the season (IND, CHA, WAS, OKC, UTA, POR). That stretch takes us almost to Christmas.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#423 » by Klomp » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:43 am

Positivity: A billionaire will never buy RealGM to run it into the ground
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#424 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 am

Read on Twitter

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,651

Post#425 » by TimberKat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:21 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#426 » by younggunsmn » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:24 am

1. Ant's been getting to the line a lot more.
2. Gobert finding his FT form
3. McDaniels learning to finsh and super efficient
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,650

Post#427 » by winforlose » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:01 am

With KAT out for 4-6 weeks or more we can see what the depth can do.
Kineto
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#428 » by Kineto » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:00 pm

Things can turn fast in the NBA, and fans tend to overreact and be too short-term minded.

Here's what you can read in the Celtic forum less than a year ago:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2153988
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#429 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:32 pm

I've heard "complete mess" and "dumpster fire" thrown around, but only a game below .500. I'd much prefer this version of those terms to the Kahn version.

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,596

Post#430 » by Note30 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:32 pm

Kineto wrote:Things can turn fast in the NBA, and fans tend to overreact and be too short-term minded.

We aren't a perennial All Star team we're not even aperennial play-in team. So there's a big difference between Boston whining and complaining about being a top tier team and blowing their squad up as opposed to us who just bet everything on a guy who has trouble catching the ball.

Our doom and gloom is justified
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,596

Post#431 » by Note30 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Klomp wrote:I've heard "complete mess" and "dumpster fire" thrown around, but only a game below .500. I'd much prefer this version of those terms to the Kahn version.

We didn't trade 5 picks at any point during the Kahn era nor did we hype up the squad this much. Our best rotation in the Kahn era was Ridnour, Brewer, Love, Milicic. We had zero expectations, just righteous hatred of a **** GM.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,650

Post#432 » by winforlose » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 pm

Kineto wrote:Things can turn fast in the NBA, and fans tend to overreact and be too short-term minded.

There are a lot of things people are overreacting to, but some things just hurt.

1. Finch is not able to get these guys to buy in 21 games in (25% of the first season with Rudy.)

2. Ant has serious issues. Not only didn’t he take the leap we wanted him too (not saying he cannot, just that he has not,) but his defense has regressed, his attitude has been unflattering at best, and his handle has been exposed.

3. Dlo was supposed to be contract year Dlo. The guy who goes every scrap of his mind, body, and soul to get the biggest bag he can get. Instead, he has turned into this weak, pathetic, hideous, abominable, thing. His defense alone has cost us at least 3 games (early losses when everyone got pulled in the spin cycle trying to cover for him. Utah, spurs 3, and one of the other early ones I forget.) His turnovers in some games were only matched by his poor shot selection, lack of dribble penetration, terrible PNR execution, and lack of efficiency.

Our guard play and coaching have been ineffective. Worse yet, these are supposed to be our STRENGTHS. I know it can turn around, but damn if it doesn’t suck that it hasn’t yet.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#433 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 pm

Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I've heard "complete mess" and "dumpster fire" thrown around, but only a game below .500. I'd much prefer this version of those terms to the Kahn version.

We didn't trade 5 picks at any point during the Kahn era nor did we hype up the squad this much. Our best rotation in the Kahn era was Ridnour, Brewer, Love, Milicic. We had zero expectations, just righteous hatred of a **** GM.

"We sucked and we all knew it!" isn't exactly something to brag about regarding that era.

I know we're feeling this out yet, but I'd still much prefer worst-case scenario being a fringe playoff team as opposed to worst-case scenario being one of the worst seasons in NBA history. I have no doubts that this will get better.

TimberKat
Analyst

Post#434 » by TimberKat » Thu Dec 1, 2022 12:51 am

Going back to something Flip Saunders said many years ago – “The position of a player is determined by which position he can defend”. I think it is a good way to think about who/how we play. Using this approach, our line up would be: Gobert=5; JMcD=4; Ant=3; DLo=2; Rivers=1.

Towns is a 4 as we seen how he plays with Gibson and Dieng in the past. I don’t know why this year he acts more like a 5 than before. Is he somehow feels Gobert should be a replacement of V8 at 4 and do the run around in the perimeter? Teams also had figure out how to defend Towns with a smaller quick player outside and push him around under the hoop with a big. It’s now time for Towns to adjust without literally running people over. This injury maybe good for him to take a step back and just watch films on D and see where the passing lanes are and how to position himself in various situation. I think it’s mostly mental at this point.

I think Ant was a much better defender on the 3 than on the ball attacker. He can defend the 2 or 1 but can’t do it on a regular basis. Rivers could fill the gap of PatBev so we are better on the ball and not getting blow by every possession. We could also start Anderson and have JMcD come off the bench to fill 4,3,2.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#435 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 1, 2022 9:16 pm

Positivity: Our longest losing streak this season to-date is only 3 games. By this point last season (22 games), we already had a 6-game losing streak and the 22nd game was the start of a 5-game losing streak.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#436 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:27 am

A really interesting parallel presented by Flagrant Howls...

On Nov. 26, 2021, Memphis dropped a 32-point loss to the average Atlanta Hawks to fall to a 9-10 record. In the game, Ja Morant suffered a left knee sprain that would sideline him roughly a month. They wound up going 10-2 without him...

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,129

Post#437 » by shrink » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:42 am

Klomp wrote:A really interesting parallel presented by Flagrant Howls...

On Nov. 26, 2021, Memphis dropped a 32-point loss to the average Atlanta Hawks to fall to a 9-10 record. In the game, Ja Morant suffered a left knee sprain that would sideline him roughly a month. They wound up going 10-2 without him...

I have been toying with the possibility that one of the reasons for the Wolves inconsistent effort, particularly against less talented teams, is that they think they are better than they are. I think part of that comes from Towns, who believes he’s a superstar and should be getting superstar foul calls. They often don’t play with much rush to succeed, like they think that getting behind is no big deal, and it’s a fluke they are losing. I didn’t like hearing Ant say that the team gets up for MEM, because they should get up for every team, especially since they have been beaten regularly by teams they think they are better than.

We will be a significantly less talented team without Towns. However, if the Wolves can repeat the effort of the MEM game, I think that this might be a good thing. I hope it will give guys like Ant and DLo a kick in the pants, to know they have to go out and bring it every game, every quarter, if they want team wins. Just showing up is not enough.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#438 » by TimberKat » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:37 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:A really interesting parallel presented by Flagrant Howls...

I have been toying with the possibility that one of the reasons for the Wolves inconsistent effort, particularly against less talented teams, is that they think they are better than they are. I think part of that comes from Towns, who believes he’s a superstar and should be getting superstar foul calls. They often don’t play with much rush to succeed, like they think that getting behind is no big deal, and it’s a fluke they are losing. I didn’t like hearing Ant say that the team gets up for MEM, because they should get up for every team, especially since they have been beaten regularly by teams they think they are better than.

We will be a significantly less talented team without Towns. However, if the Wolves can repeat the effort of the MEM game,
I think that this might be a good thing. I hope it will give guys like Ant and DLo a kick in the pants, to know they have to go out and bring it every game, every quarter, if they want team wins. Just showing up is not enough.

I am not feeling the positivity :D
Kineto
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#439 » by Kineto » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:48 pm

winforlose wrote:

There are a lot of things people are overreacting to, but some things just hurt.

1. Finch is not able to get these guys to buy in 21 games in (25% of the first season with Rudy.)

Just for the record, the boston celtics forum post i linked here is from january.

It's (almost) the same Boston team who was 18-21 at that time, and then ended the season 33-10 with a trip to the NBA finals.

This Wolves team have a 4 year window to perform, even if it take a whole season for Finch to find a way to make this team play good basketball, i think it's worth to take the risk.
Folklore
Senior
And1: 174

Post#440 » by Folklore » Fri Dec 2, 2022 2:44 pm

Kineto wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Just for the record, the boston celtics forum post i linked here is from january.

It's (almost) the same Boston team who was 18-21 at that time, and then ended the season 33-10 with a trip to the NBA finals.

This Wolves team have a 4 year window to perform, even if it take a whole season for Finch to find a way to make this team play good basketball, i think it's worth to take the risk.

Why do these types of comparison? Oh look, they did or didn't do it so why couldn't we maybe possible do or don't do that too? The wolves traded away what made them special. Our players no longer have the heart to makes things get better for the team. The Memphis win to me was a way for the Merc players to get their numbers up.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves