The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,100

The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:31 pm

OK, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but after seeing what he's done offensively in Summer League, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could be an important part of this team going forward.

A lot of talk lately about him revolves around his passing ability. Here's just a taste....

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Showed a little of it in college too

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 368

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#2 » by gandlogo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Due to some weird scheduling quirks I have only been able to see one SL game for the Wolves -last night's game. Reid was the only player on our team that looked like an NBA player. I was largely unimpressed with Okogie and KBD, but Reid showed me a lot of different things. Great hands, ability to get position in the low-post, true NBA size, soft shot with either hand near the rim, nice stroke from line/distance, good use of pivot, great feel for the team aspect by not trying to do too much (abuse single coverage, hit open guy when doubled). Super early, but I got a Cousins vibe from him - not athletic, but can do a lot of things. He seemed awkward in the screen game, but I think that's mostly a timing thing that will be resolved with more practice time. I'm interested to see him tonight against Allen from the Nets. And I'm also one that was really impressed with Patton's play in Iowa a couple of years ago. However, for a team that has never hit a lottery ticket, Reid just might be that guy.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#3 » by shangrila » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:53 am

He looks like he could be a nice backup to Towns, almost like a poor man's Towns actually. That would help a lot in keeping the offence consistent between the starters and bench.

He apparently has mood and/or maturity issues, which is probably why he went undrafted as he didn't have a bad season at LSU and certainly did enough to be a 2nd rounder. Those things haven't shown up so far and maybe it's nothing or he's overcome it or whatever. If so, yeah he looks like a potential steal.

Oh, but he needs to work on his rebounding. I haven't paid attention to it specifically so I'm not sure if it's like a Pek situation where he's so focused on boxing out rather than actually getting the boards himself but either way he's got low numbers for a burly 6-10 dude.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#4 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 am

I mentioned this in the other thread, but hopefully we can get him on a cheap 3-4 year deal, let him age, develop in the g league and on the Wolves and he can be our backup C once G expires in 2 years (Unless we trade him)
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:23 am

shangrila wrote:Oh, but he needs to work on his rebounding. I haven't paid attention to it specifically so I'm not sure if it's like a Pek situation where he's so focused on boxing out rather than actually getting the boards himself but either way he's got low numbers for a burly 6-10 dude.

Keep in mind he's only been playing about 18 mpg
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#6 » by Killboard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:42 am

His calling card is offense. He is a good passer, good moves on the post and can shoot from outside. 24.6 Points and 9.2 rebounds and 3.9 AST per 36 minutes. He needs solid defenders around him because he isn't a great leaper or has elite lateral quickness for which wont excel defending the rim at the next level. But if he works on his verticality technique and adds muscle he could be someone like Nene with a better 3pt shot.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#7 » by wildvikeswolves » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 am

Feels like we got a gift here with this one. I’ll be surprised if he’s not a rotation player by next year.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:00 am

Klomp wrote:OK, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but after seeing what he's done offensively in Summer League, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could be an important part of this team going forward.

A lot of talk lately about him revolves around his passing ability. Here's just a taste....

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This would be wonderful if he adds a meaningful input into the offensive portions of games off bench minutes.

However I want to ask how this possibly positive feature you are pointing out really fits into the completely defensive and young vision you made on thread on previously. Ok, he's young. But what about his defense? Can we be excited about him on that end, and then also then see him as part of the new vision?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#9 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 am

Killboard wrote:His calling card is offense. He is a good passer, good moves on the post and can shoot from outside. 24.6 Points and 9.2 rebounds and 3.9 AST per 36 minutes. He needs solid defenders around him because he isn't a great leaper or has elite lateral quickness for which wont excel defending the rim at the next level. But if he works on his verticality technique and adds muscle he could be someone like Nene with a better 3pt shot.

His passing has been impressive - I didn't know he had that in his bag.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:44 am

Jedzz wrote:However I want to ask how this possibly positive feature you are pointing out really fits into the completely defensive and young vision you made on thread on previously. Ok, he's young. But what about his defense? Can we be excited about him on that end, and then also then see him as part of the new vision?

As much as I'd love for every player 1-15 to be an elite defender, it's just not realistic. Even the best defensive teams have weak spots. As long as he can be average on that end, he can have a very good career.

wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#11 » by wildvikeswolves » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:26 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:OK, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but after seeing what he's done offensively in Summer League, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could be an important part of this team going forward.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This would be wonderful if he adds a meaningful input into the offensive portions of games off bench minutes.

However I want to ask how this possibly positive feature you are pointing out really fits into the completely defensive and young vision you made on thread on previously. Ok, he's young. But what about his defense? Can we be excited about him on that end, and then also then see him as part of the new vision?

You can’t leave him alone from 3 point land and he has good vision in terms of passing. So he fits everything but needs come around defensively and could get in better shape.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#12 » by Neeva » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 am

I think he can be better than Dieng right away lol
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#13 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 am

I see a worse defending and possibly worse rebounding Sam Perkins with the same offensive skillset.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I see a worse defending and possibly worse rebounding Sam Perkins with the same offensive skillset.

Perkins was the first name that came to my mind too, but I couldn't remember if I was just imagining his passing skill.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,549

Post#15 » by Calinks » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 am

The rebounding worries me
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#16 » by Note30 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:39 am

He looks like a solid back up center. Its not like the league is trending towards a huge need there anyway.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,727

Post#17 » by minimus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Reid has kind of high center of gravity?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#18 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 am

I like Reid as a prospect, but watching him reminds me of how talented Patton was. It's a shame injuries destroyed him. I think
Reid can develop into a very solid rotation player.
From a skill standpoint I like his ballhandling, his passing and his scoring in that order.
His rebounding is not very good but it's not super awful either. I don't know how good he's at boxing out.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,727

Post#19 » by minimus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:43 am

packforfreedom wrote:I like Reid as a prospect, but watching him reminds me of how talented Patton was. It's a shame injuries destroyed him.

I thought he would play for TOR SL team... Poor Patton could not even crack SL rotation...

packforfreedom wrote:His rebounding is not very good but it's not super awful either. I don't know how good he's at boxing out.

I guess his body is still transforming. Sure, he is more coordinated than many bigs, but still his movement are not the most fluid.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,534

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

As a big, if you can’t rebound or play defense, it’s pretty tough to hold a spot in the rotation.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves