General Manager
And1: 3,657

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#521 » by winforlose » Mon May 6, 2024 2:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:WTF is the Jelly family?

Two words: Big Jelly

Still confused as to what it's about. Is it possibly a reference to when Naz entered the league as somewhat of a dough boy?

I cannot really link Reddit threads but there is one that explains it well. Just ask Google why Michael Grady calls Naz big jelly and you will find it. Quick summary, Naz and some other future college and NBA players called themselves the Jelly family because they used a package of moves usually seen by guards (finger rolls for example,) as bigs.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,978

Post#522 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2024 4:12 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Two words: Big Jelly

Still confused as to what it's about. Is it possibly a reference to when Naz entered the league as somewhat of a dough boy?

I cannot really link Reddit threads but there is one that explains it well. Just ask Google why Michael Grady calls Naz big jelly and you will find it. Quick summary, Naz and some other future college and NBA players called themselves the Jelly family because they used a package of moves usually seen by guards (finger rolls for example,) as bigs.

Thanks, so it's a Grady thing. You know I don't give a rat's ass about announcers and never pay attention to anything they say. Also it seems like 9 times out of 10 on NBA league pass I get the broadcast from the other team anyway.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,657

Post#523 » by winforlose » Mon May 6, 2024 4:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Still confused as to what it's about. Is it possibly a reference to when Naz entered the league as somewhat of a dough boy?

Thanks, so it's a Grady thing. You know I don't give a rat's ass about announcers and never pay attention to anything they say. Also it seems like 9 times out of 10 on NBA league pass I get the broadcast from the other team anyway.

Pretty sure Naz came up with it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#524 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2024 4:26 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Pretty sure Naz came up with it.

When I hear the word Jelly in reference to a human I think of Santa Clause and his belly that shakes when he laughs like a bowl full of Jelly. It seemed like a dough boy reference.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#525 » by BlacJacMac » Mon May 6, 2024 4:41 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Still confused as to what it's about. Is it possibly a reference to when Naz entered the league as somewhat of a dough boy?

It goes back to High School for Naz - but the "Jelly Fam" predates him. So definitely not a "Grady thing", but another sign of how good he is at his job and putting in the work to learn everything about players.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,300

Post#526 » by Klomp » Mon May 6, 2024 6:12 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

It goes back to High School for Naz - but the "Jelly Fam" predates him. So definitely not a "Grady thing", but another sign of how good he is at his job and putting in the work to learn everything about players.

Precisely.

The "Big Jelly" nickname goes all the way back to his high school days, when Naz Reid was a member of the "Jelly Fam". Here's a pretty good historical breakdown of the movement. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/jelly-fam-alabamas-jahvon-quinerly-nyc-brotherhood/myja7rjkgjss2e4pl7tigelb

Here's another good look at it from 2017:

Grady was working in Brooklyn starting in 2017, so he probably had heard about it quite a bit back then and infused that knowledge into his broadcasts.

And that brings us all to where we are today...

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#527 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2024 7:22 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Thanks for the info.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,108

Post#528 » by life_saver » Mon May 6, 2024 8:33 pm

Naz badly needed that 2nd half burst..he was struggling quite badly prior to that
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#529 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2024 8:54 pm

life_saver wrote:Naz badly needed that 2nd half burst..he was struggling quite badly prior to that

Yes he did. Man did he put it together in the clutch.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#530 » by Klomp » Mon May 6, 2024 8:57 pm

life_saver wrote:Naz badly needed that 2nd half burst..he was struggling quite badly prior to that

The bank shot really got him going!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#531 » by Klomp » Wed May 8, 2024 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,181

Post#532 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2024 10:30 pm

Reddick interview with Gobert was excellent. You can hear how seriously Rudy takes defense and professionalism.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#533 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 9, 2024 12:39 am

shrink wrote:Reddick interview with Gobert was excellent. You can hear how seriously Rudy takes defense and professionalism.

Good post, but I think it belongs in the Rudy thread.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#534 » by Klomp » Thu May 9, 2024 12:47 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:Reddick interview with Gobert was excellent. You can hear how seriously Rudy takes defense and professionalism.

It's in response to Redick interviewing Reid this week....

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#535 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 9, 2024 12:58 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

It's in response to Redick interviewing Reid this week....

OK. I was just having some fun with Shrink.
Sealab2024
Junior
And1: 601

Post#536 » by Sealab2024 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:03 am

Reid played easily his best defensive game ever in game 2 against Denver and It was shockingly one of the best defensive games ever played against Jokic, a 3 time MVP. And he did it in the playoffs..... Legendary.

I've noticed Naz being more comfortable defensively on the perimeter, one on one and in help this year; just generally more fundamentally sound. Especially when KAT went down. Teams tried but they couldn't hunt Naz and get anything that was worth hunting. This was really big for the Wolves and for the rest of us it confirmed that Naz had a ceiling much higher than a bench piece. That was just showing league average ability which is what i think everyone was comfortable expecting eventually.

For Naz to not only hold up for an equal portion of a playoff game against the 3X MVP but actually be really effective is a whole other level of Naz that I didn't necessarily expect. Not that that's what's gonna happen every night or that Naz doesn't have bad matchups, but good lord.

If the Wolves can play KAT and Naz at the 4 and 5 and still be effective defensively this Wolves team is gonna win a ring.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#537 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 9, 2024 7:28 am

Sealab2024 wrote:Reid played easily his best defensive game ever in game 2 against Denver and It was shockingly one of the best defensive games ever played against Jokic, a 3 time MVP. And he did it in the playoffs..... Legendary.

I've noticed Naz being more comfortable defensively on the perimeter, one on one and in help this year; just generally more fundamentally sound. Especially when KAT went down. Teams tried but they couldn't hunt Naz and get anything that was worth hunting. This was really big for the Wolves and for the rest of us it confirmed that Naz had a ceiling much higher than a bench piece. That was just showing league average ability which is what i think everyone was comfortable expecting eventually.

For Naz to not only hold up for an equal portion of a playoff game against the 3X MVP but actually be really effective is a whole other level of Naz that I didn't necessarily expect. Not that that's what's gonna happen every night or that Naz doesn't have bad matchups, but good lord.

If the Wolves can play KAT and Naz at the 4 and 5 and still be effective defensively this Wolves team is gonna win a ring.

Over the course of just a few years Naz went from underachiever and turned into one Badass MFer. No other way to put it.
As for Monday's unreal performance by the whole team I truly believe they set their sights on winning just one for the Gipp-Bear.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#538 » by Klomp » Thu May 9, 2024 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves