The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#361 » by minimus » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:04 pm

https://x.com/timberwolves/status/1705236588052021655

Yeah, these are fire, but can we stop for minute and appreciate how Naz completely changed his body? He looks more like a comboforward here rather than a big.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,965

Post#362 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:22 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, these are fire, but can we stop for minute and appreciate how Naz completely changed his body? He looks more like a comboforward here rather than a big.

We've all acknowledged that a long time ago.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,239

Post#363 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:44 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just a tip for all, if you replace 'x' in the full url with 'twitter', the embedding still works (though apparently it works on quotes)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,152

Post#364 » by m2002brian » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:06 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can we just make these the mains and use the parquet flooring from the early 2000s w/ old shep logo?
BLUEGREENRED
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#365 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:10 am

Getting the pick and roll pocket pass at the top of the key and an “all-defense” guy sliding in front, how many “big men” in the league could dunk without backing down the defender in this situation? Just some mind-boggling stuff! He’s a perimeter player in a big man’s body, even moreso than KAT. Crazy stuff!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#366 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:08 pm

Klomp wrote:Image
Getting the pick and roll pocket pass at the top of the key and an “all-defense” guy sliding in front, how many “big men” in the league could dunk without backing down the defender in this situation? Just some mind-boggling stuff! He’s a perimeter player in a big man’s body, even moreso than KAT. Crazy stuff!

Klomp for me it's just a picture. Not a video. I would love to see it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Klomp for me it's just a picture. Not a video. I would love to see it.

That's because it's just a picture. I took a screenshot 37 seconds into this video...

;t=44s

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#368 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:25 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Klomp for me it's just a picture. Not a video. I would love to see it.

That's because it's just a picture. I took a screenshot 37 seconds into this video...

;t=44s

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,142

Post#369 » by shrink » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:18 pm

I have a theory that even though Tim Connelly wanted to bring Naz back, he didn’t think it would happen at a price that made sense for either the Wolves, or for Naz’s career, stuck on a team behind two former All-NBA centers. I feel like Glen Taylor telling him to up his offer, and Naz willing to take less to stay here, came as a last minute surprise, days before free agency. I think he always planned on bringing back NAW, but the Naz space would have allowed him to go for a bigger fish at guard. Still, I think he pivoted well with Naz’s money pushing us closer to the lux, and when he couldn’t trade Prince for Monte Morris, by picking up Shake. I like the final roster.

That said, I am not sure that Chris Finch will be able to continue to find enough minutes to really maximize Naz. I see no way that Tim Connelly trades either Towns or Gobert at the start of the season, but perhaps there is a slim chance he’s listening to Naz offers? I doubt that too though, since Naz is Ant’s buddy, and he took less to be here - maybe the first player ever to do that! Or is Naz insurance in case things go poorly in the first half, and a Towns or Gobert trade becomes a possibility closer to the deadline?
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Post#370 » by TimberKat » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:50 pm

shrink wrote:I have a theory that even though Tim Connelly wanted to bring Naz back, he didn’t think it would happen at a price that made sense for either the Wolves, or for Naz’s career, stuck on a team behind two former All-NBA centers. I feel like Glen Taylor telling him to up his offer, and Naz willing to take less to stay here, came as a last minute surprise, days before free agency. I think he always planned on bringing back NAW, but the Naz space would have allowed him to go for a bigger fish at guard. Still, I think he pivoted well with Naz’s money pushing us closer to the lux, and when he couldn’t trade Prince for Monte Morris, by picking up Shake. I like the final roster.

That said, I am not sure that Chris Finch will be able to continue to find enough minutes to really maximize Naz. I see no way that Tim Connelly trades either Towns or Gobert at the start of the season, but perhaps there is a slim chance he’s listening to Naz offers? I doubt that too though, since Naz is Ant’s buddy, and he took less to be here - maybe the first player ever to do that! Or is Naz insurance in case things go poorly in the first half, and a Towns or Gobert trade becomes a possibility closer to the deadline?

Naz is a great backup. I don't know if he could be a starting center or power forward in the league. I think the three headed monster could work. It will be interesting how all the personal moves "Shake" out next year.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#371 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:34 am

shrink wrote:I have a theory that even though Tim Connelly wanted to bring Naz back, he didn’t think it would happen at a price that made sense for either the Wolves, or for Naz’s career, stuck on a team behind two former All-NBA centers. I feel like Glen Taylor telling him to up his offer, and Naz willing to take less to stay here, came as a last minute surprise, days before free agency. I think he always planned on bringing back NAW, but the Naz space would have allowed him to go for a bigger fish at guard. Still, I think he pivoted well with Naz’s money pushing us closer to the lux, and when he couldn’t trade Prince for Monte Morris, by picking up Shake. I like the final roster.

I think the role he’s in is almost perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KATKlownFeet
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#372 » by KATKlownFeet » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:13 pm

Why are you so certain Naz took less to stay here. Naz's deal comes with a player option, for the third year, so that option has value that inflates the overall value of the deal. Given how little bigs are making outside the elite players and that Naz has never started, is poor on defense and has one of worst plus/minus during his tenure here, I think he was paid generously. I am curious as to what other teams had offered Naz that makes you so sure he took a discount.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#373 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter

The Wolves did need more size…
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,596

Post#374 » by Note30 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:45 pm

I mean I could definitely see Shake, Anderson, and Reid all playing atleast 20 minutes a game.

Maybe for Reid and Anderson an additional 4-6 minute stretches.

The other players off the bench would be NAW (15-20 minutes), maybe and it's a big maybe but Brown Jr gets some limited run as well (3-8 minutes).

Anything other that and the rotation gets kind of hard to manage well with our construction.

Given his salary and modern cap tables, 20-24 minutes a game sounds alright to me
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#375 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:09 pm

Note30 wrote:Given his salary and modern cap tables, 20-24 minutes a game sounds alright to me

This is exactly where I'm at, and it's where he's been at his best for most of his career.

I think people would be surprised to know that Naz played over 25:00 minutes in a game last season just 12 times. If you go a little farther down the minutes slider, the Timberwolves were 5-10 when Naz Reid played over 23:00 minutes last season. He is the definition of a 6th man super-sub. He's a microwave scorer, and can change games with his energy and pace against second units. His points per 100 possessions are up there with the recent winners of the 6th man award.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,142

Post#376 » by shrink » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:51 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:

Why are you so certain Naz took less to stay here. Naz's deal comes with a player option, for the third year, so that option has value that inflates the overall value of the deal. Given how little bigs are making outside the elite players and that Naz has never started, is poor on defense and has one of worst plus/minus during his tenure here, I think he was paid generously. I am curious as to what other teams had offered Naz that makes you so sure he took a discount.

There were rumors out there that Naz could expect a few offers starting at $15 mil a year when free agency opened. One of those teams was reportedly the Cavs.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#377 » by Dewey » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:36 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Wolves did need more size…

Yup … just unknowingly popped up 2” …. Media people get dumber and dumber every year
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#378 » by younggunsmn » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:25 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:

Spurs for one had interest and a bunch of cap room and no one to spend it on, and ended up just using it to take salary for some 2nd round picks.
Kings, Cavs, and at least half a dozen other teams had interest and were willing to offer the full MLE and maybe even get creative enough to offer more (like the Cavs did for Strus).
There were a lot of disappointed teams when he signed that extension.

We signed him for the max we could offer on an extension.
Had he hit unrestricted free agency I have little doubt he would have been able to earn more.
IMHO we lucked out a bit, both that we were capped on what we could offer and that Naz liked it here so much he was willing to forego free agency.

He's not just a big, he's a stretch big who put up elite shooting efficiency splits last year, is young, and has gotten better every year of his career.
I'm actually a little worried about our ability to re-sign him 2 years from now when we have KAT and Gobert making 100 million+ combined and Ant and (hopefully) Jaden on rookie extensions.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#379 » by younggunsmn » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:32 pm

I know the narrative is that we have too many bigs, but having Naz allows us to hold down KAT and Gobert's minutes too, which will hopefully keep them fresher and healthier and allow them to go harder in their time on the court.

Gobert should be capped at 30 minutes, Kat at 34-36. That leaves 32 to split between Naz and Slo-Mo at the 4/5, with 20-24 for Naz.
That's right about perfect.

Plus he allows us to put out a spacing and shooting lineup if we are trailing in the last 5 minutes with KAT.
Something that was needed last year in a lot of close losses where our offense fizzled out badly in crunch time with Gobert on the court, but Finch wasn't willing to go to.

Then there is the prospect of KAT and Gobert each missing 10-15 games with nagging injuries.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,041

Post#380 » by wolves_89 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:42 pm

One thing I would like to see this season is to gameplan and focus on our bigs crashing the offensive glass. If we are going to play big, we should use the advantage and have Naz, KAT, and Rudy go hard after offensive rebounds. Giving up fast break points has been an issue for the two big lineups, but if we get the offensive rebound there is no fast break opportunity. Prioritizing offensive rebounds would force opposing teams to send more guys to the defensive glass which would also help to keep opposing teams from getting out and running. The offensive glass seems like a clear advantage that the Wolves have so far failed to fully realize.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves