ImageImageImage

The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,855

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#461 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:52 pm

Klomp wrote:One more thought on Naz from me today. Actually, it's a player comp. Some people might take it to be an insult, but it's not at all meant to be.

Jerami Grant

Both are scoring forwards with a decently versatile game. I think Reid could get a large payday, but he seems self-aware enough to value much more than that. Reid is more PF who has slid down to C in the past, while Grant has moved between the two forward spots. But I think he actually has that kind of money-making upside down the road.

The biggest difference between them is that in the first opportunity for a payday, Grant took the biggest bag possible and cares more about his numbers and role than team success, while Naz is a more selfless guy who opted to stay in a healthy locker room with friends because they had a chance for a lot of team success, even if he could have a bigger role elsewhere.

Good comp, but Naz is better.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#462 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:00 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:There is one line of thinking that suggests we should trade Naz while he is so valuable, because we won’t be able to afford his next deal in 15 months. I don’t agree with it though.

He really seems like a Bobby Portis to me, where he values winning and "culture" over the money.

And if you really sit down and think about it, one way or another the situation will likely be resolved in the next 15 months. There are four courses of action.
1. Stick with the status quo
-Most assume this is unlikely, but it's still a potential outcome.
2. Move KAT to fix the luxury tax issue.
-This is the early favorite in the clubhouse because he makes the most money and arguably has the most trade value.

3. Move Gobert
-Not often discussed, but I do think it should be. He'll be 33 in his last year, so there will have to be a succession plan made at some point. I wouldn't assume he'll be here in 2026-27, so his contract is a potential asset to use before it expires.
4. Move Naz Reid
-This is probably the least popular outcome, and probably for good reason. If and when he opts out, he'll still be just 26 years old. He fits perfectly for those who believe a roster's core should be within the same age range.

This is where I am. And I love KAT.

My gut says Rudy will still be able to drag a defense into the Top 10 by himself in his mid 30s. He keeps himself in such good shape and his defense is based much more on his massive size and smarts than sheer athleticism. I have zero problem projecting him playing out another contract at a very high level.

KAT is absolutely more talented than Naz, but I think Naz gives you, easily, 75-80% of KAT - and I think he's actually a better fit for what Finch wants to do on offense. Naz is the very definition of read/react. He sees the floor so well, and the ball never sticks. He's made his decision what to do before the ball gets to him. Its not always the right decision, but his instincts are terrific. KAT loves to probe and survey before making a move. And it compounds when Ant gets into that mode as well.

Plus, as I've mentioned before, KAT's injuries are really piling up. Iron Man through 4 seasons, but he's played fewer games than Embiid the past 5. Its too many years to call it a fluke, and at 29 I don't see him suddenly getting past it. He wasn't healthy in the Playoffs last year, he's not going to be this year either.

We're going to need a PG soon. That's going to cost money unless we draft really well. Even if we "sell kind of low" on KAT in a deal where we get back, say, Dejounte Murray along with picks and cap relief, I'm good with it. Having all 3 of Murray, Naz, NAW and some picks wins out over just KAT for me.

I love KAT and maybe he will be healthy for this years playoffs. However, I've been a huge Dejounte fan since his San Antonio days. If we could get him and picks or him and Capela or Okongwu I'd be packing KAT's bags for him and driving him to the airport or even to Atlanta if that's what he wanted.
BUT>>>>>>>>> I'd really feel like we were doing him dirty after he stuck with us for all these years.

The Atlanta Hawks are likely to trade one of Trae Young or Dejounte Murray, sources told Marc Stein of The Stein Line.

Young was recently cleared to return to practice following finger surgery.

The Hawks will play the Bulls in the play-in game next week.

MARC STEIN/THE STEIN LINE
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#463 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Colbinii wrote:For all the love Reid is getting, am I alone in think Nickeil Alexander-Walker is simply better and more important for our team?

I don't know if you're alone, but I certainly disagree with you. Naz is more consistent by far with his scoring and we need scoring.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,100

Post#464 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:32 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 699

Post#465 » by Movics » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:41 pm

6th man of the year!!! Let’s go
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 912

Post#466 » by Saltine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 pm

Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 875

Post#467 » by Dalvin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:05 pm

So happy for Naz Reid!
5 words, 6th man of the year!
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,511

Post#468 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:10 pm

I called this one too. I called PF Naz Reid, I called he could be a starter on a lot of teams, and I called 6th man of the year.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,293

Post#469 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 pm

Read on Twitter
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,293

Post#470 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 155

Post#471 » by Loaf_of_bread » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am

Congrats NAZ!!!
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,557

Post#472 » by TimberKat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:40 am

I can't believe he beat out Powell and Monk was hurt. I think the Towns injury actually helped him. Of course he had to play well in the stretch. Congrats.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#473 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 am

“ Michael Scotto: Naz Reid is the first Timberwolves player to win Sixth Man of the Year. He’s the third undrafted player to win, joining Darrell Armstrong (1999) and John Starks (1997). His 169 threes are the most in a season by an undrafted PF/C. He won by the smallest margin in award voting pic.twitter.com/m0D3iRvWQD 36 mins ago – via Twitter MikeAScotto”

“ StatMuse: Naz Reid this season: — 13.5 PPG — 5.2 RPG — 41.4 3P% (!!) — 1st in threes by a center — Most 3s ever in under 25 MPG by a center The first 6th Man of the Year in Timberwolves history. statmuse.com/nba/player/naz… 2 hours ago – via Twitter statmuse”

Copied from Hoopshype.

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#474 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 am

winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was wondering about that
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,557

Post#475 » by TimberKat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:52 am

NAZ - 6th man
Towns - All Star
Ant - all star and all NBA 3rd team
Gobert - DPOY
Finch - all star coach. I can argue he had a tougher job than Mark Daigneault. Maybe COY?

Is that more awards than 03-04 team? KG won MVP.
80HD
Freshman
And1: 252

Post#476 » by 80HD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 am

My favorite Naz play from his 6MOY campaign. A big man should not have those handles.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#477 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 am

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was wondering about that

One more fun fact I forgot to post above. Naz Reid is the only under 25 undrafted player to win the 6th man award.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#478 » by shrink » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 am

Reid finished with 352 points, ahead of Malik Monk with 342 points. Reid received 45 first place votes, while Monk had 43. Reid and Monk each had 39 second place votes and 10 third place votes.

So Naz got two extra 1st place votes over Monk, and two voters didn’t have Monk in their top three?
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 155

Post#479 » by Loaf_of_bread » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 am

shrink wrote:
Reid finished with 352 points, ahead of Malik Monk with 342 points. Reid received 45 first place votes, while Monk had 43. Reid and Monk each had 39 second place votes and 10 third place votes.

So Naz got two extra 1st place votes over Monk, and two voters didn’t have Monk in their top three?

For whatever reason there were a lot of warrior fans allowed to vote this year
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#480 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 am

shrink wrote:

From the General board:

Monk was actually left off the top 3 by 7 voters with Naz being left off top 3 by 5 voters

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves