ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,035

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#1001 » by thinktank » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:20 pm

shrink wrote:It seems desperate to defend Lore and ARod’s earlier financial position and their previous honesty, by saying they are lying now to Taylor, the NBA owners, and their funding source, the Carlyle Group.

This is horrible news for the people that believed in Lore and ARod, but closing your eyes and saying it’s a lie is not the way to deal with it.

The context is the lie. The timing is a very good indicator that this is not an ethical story.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
thinktank
Analyst

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#1002 » by thinktank » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:22 pm

slick21 wrote:Despite having little to no evidence to the contrary, I have often wondered if Lore and ARod would be able/willing to pay a large tax bill. But they have been saying all the right things.

In their defense regarding this "leak," isn't it possible that this was just one of many scenarios that could take place? Submit a plan for keeping the team intact and paying the tax, submit a plan for getting under the tax line, etc.

And now the news-grabbing headline says "Lore/ARod submitted plan to cut payroll!"

Correct.

It’s not complicated.

Owners don’t make their payroll strategy known to each other. That’s why it’s always a question of “will they go into the tax?”. If this information was known, we would know it for other owners, too.

But we don’t know it for other owners.

So why would we believe we know this info for ONLY ARod and Lore? They’re not the only group or groups to ever buy an NBA team.

Whatever this is, is something else spun up. There are a lot of different types of “projections”.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,653

Post#1003 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:44 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:We can't have nice things...

Read on Twitter

Wonder how people will defend Glen when he drives away the best gm this team has ever had
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,270

Post#1004 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 pm

guest81 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Wonder how people will defend Glen when he drives away the best gm this team has ever had

Why do you think that?

In Minnesota, Connelly has built a team contending for a championship.

Glen Taylor gave him completely free rein as GM, even to do a deal he questioned, and most people at the time said was horrible.

Taylor pays (and has paid) his salary. He pays the second highest salary for all (exclusively) GMs at $8 mil a year.

Do you think some loyalty to Lore “inviting him here” is going to make him quit, to follow guys that don’t own a team at all?

Just because you hate Glen Taylor does not mean Connelly shares your opinion, or he is going to leave a perfect job. Be serious.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,539

Post#1005 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:00 pm

shrink wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Why do you think that?

In Minnesota, he has built a team contending for a championship.

Taylor pays (and has paid) his salary. It’s one of the highest for all NBA GMs.

Do you think some loyalty to Lore “inviting him here” is going to make him quit, to follow guys that don’t own a team at all?

Quoting a Canis comment because it says it better than I could:

Simitar:

Exactly.

It all depends on how he feels about Taylor as an owner going forward if the Lore/ARod thing falls through.

The recent comment by Glen about how guys like Connelly don't come to places like Minnesota would be a big red flag to me regarding how Taylor sees the franchise.

I really don't think its a coincidence that his option coincides with when LoRod were supposed to gain controlling interest.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,241

Post#1006 » by Neeva » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:03 pm

Taylor really is just a black cloud on this franchise always has been always will be till his end, and even then I worry that black cloud will still remain with his family taking over.. :o
shrink
RealGM

Post#1007 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:03 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Why do you think that?

Simitar:

Exactly.

It all depends on how he feels about Taylor as an owner going forward if the Lore/ARod thing falls through.

The recent comment by Glen about how guys like Connelly don't come to places like Minnesota would be a big red flag to me regarding how Taylor sees the franchise.

I really don't think it’s a coincidence that his option coincides with when LoRod were supposed to gain controlling interest.

But answer my questions. What better job in the whole world is there for Connelly?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1008 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm

I’ll go one step farther.

Many GMs get options. Using the timing as “this shows he doesn’t like Taylor” is just people filling in blanks to fit their feelings.

1. After two years, we would know if a Rudy trade worked or didn’t. Could that be a reason to move on?

2. After two years, we would know if Lore and ARod would complete the sale. Connelly wouldn’t be the first GM who quit because the owners wouldn’t pay for a winner (which appears to be the case!).
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,653

Post#1009 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:Why do you think that?

Simitar:

Exactly.

I really don't think it’s a coincidence that his option coincides with when LoRod were supposed to gain controlling interest.

But answer my questions. What better job in the whole world is there for Connelly?

Who knows what job will open up by next year. Also if there's an owner spat, that leaves a lot of uncertainty going forward. If your connley, you can have your pick of most any job
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#1010 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 pm

guest81 wrote:

Read on Twitter

He hasn't and isn't driving him away.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1011 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 pm

shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:Why do you think that?

Simitar:

Exactly.

I'm sure there are more than a few teams that would love to add Connelly.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1012 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:13 pm

guest81 wrote:
shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Who knows what job will open up by next year. Also if there's an owner spat, that leaves a lot of uncertainty going forward. If your connley, you can have your pick of most any job

If I am a GM, I would MUCH rather have Taylor as the owner.

A. Taylor has a long history of giving their GM a free rein. He did it for Connelly, and he gave previous ones (like Kahn) far too much leash before removing him.

B. Taylor won’t move the team. Again, long history of this. Connelly’s moved here, and says he and his family are very happy here.

C. ARod and Lore’s plan is to go to Connelly and say, “cut these players off your contender so we don’t pay the lux!”

As fans, you might dislike Taylor. But if you’re a GM, especially with a big contract, Taylor’s a perfect owner that lets you do your thing. Staying in MIN, Connelly gets to reap the profits of making smart choices in building a team his way.

And for those that hate leaks, and blame Taylor for the last one, you can guess who leaked this, right? No hypocrites, right?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1013 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:16 pm

shrink wrote:I’ll go one step farther.

Many GMs get options. Using the timing as “this shows he doesn’t like Taylor” is just people filling in blanks to fit their feelings.

1. After two years, we would know if a Rudy trade worked or didn’t. Could that be a reason to move on?

2. After two years, we would know if Lore and ARod would complete the sale. Connelly wouldn’t be the first GM who quit because the owners wouldn’t pay for a winner (which appears to be the case!).

Not what I said.

Lore and ARod are the guys who hired him. Who work with him. The idea that he has an out in his contract that coincides with the OPTION for Lore and ARod to become majority owners makes a lot of business sense.

Why would the Gobert trade figure into the option? Are you implying the Gobert trade was set up prior to Connelly being hired?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#1014 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:19 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

Not what I said.

Lore and ARod are the guys who hired him. Who work with him. The idea that he has an out in his contract that coincides with the OPTION for Lore and ARod to become majority owners makes a lot of business sense.

Why would the Gobert trade figure into the option? Are you implying the Gobert trade was set up prior to Connelly being hired?

Connelly has a great gig here. Some other teams may want him. My prediction he stays. We will find out pretty soon.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1015 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

Not what I said.

First, 20% minority owners don’t hire anybody. Taylor hired him, but ARod and Lore did the legwork to present the offer to both sides.

What will that “work with them” be like going forward? Lore and ARod’s plan is to tell Connelly to break up his contending team, sell off valuable players so they don’t have to pay the lux. People would freak out if that was Taylor’s plan.

BlacJacMac wrote:Why would the Gobert trade figure into the option? Are you implying the Gobert trade was set up prior to Connelly being hired?

Yes, but not necessarily Gobert. I’m speculating, but I would think part of the Lore and ARod’s pitch would be, “if you come to MIN, we want you to make a Big Splash trade. You won’t get to do that in DEN. We need to hope it works to raise the value of the franchise right away, because we need to sell off pieces to make our payments to Taylor. There aren’t many Big Splashes who are willing to come to MIN, Gobert is likely on a very short list. Use whatever salary and picks you want, we’ll get Taylor to agree. Regardless of whether it works or not, we’ll give you the option to bail, as insurance to you if it doesn’t work.”

If I’m Connelly, and I already have this job with a top salary, a championship contending team I built, and an owner that won’t micro-manage me, it would take a crowbar for me to intentionally choose to bail!! Where would the grass be any greener?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1016 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:28 pm

shrink wrote:Quoting a Canis comment because it says it better than I could:

Simitar:

Exactly.

Who is this poster anyway?

Would it be a red flag if you told your wife “I thought you were too good for me at the time, so I didn’t ask you out first?” And Taylor had a point .. the 2022 Wolves were gangly, awkward and had a bad haircut. Connelly was a prom queen, with a cheap bf.

That poster is clearly injecting his fan beliefs about Taylor to draw some sort of connection about what Connelly would do.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#1017 » by thinktank » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:10 pm

Things We “Know”

-Taylor tried to sell to two buyers that can’t afford the team.

-Taylor chose the worst possible time to sell the team, considering it doubled in value since the contract was signed.

-Taylor could’ve handled the botched sale in private, but chose not to.

-ARod and Lore, who, according to Taylor, can’t afford the team anyway ;) , had a “projection” to get the Wolves below the lux next year.

I love the incongruity of Taylor’s moves here. :lol: Taylor already asserted that ARod and Lore can’t afford to buy the team. Yet, here is more “news” that entertains a scenario involving new ownership.

That should make you consider that Taylor is concerned about not winning this ownership battle.

Otherwise, I don’t think this story pops up.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#1018 » by younggunsmn » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:50 pm

slick21 wrote:Despite having little to no evidence to the contrary, I have often wondered if Lore and ARod would be able/willing to pay a large tax bill. But they have been saying all the right things.

In their defense regarding this "leak," isn't it possible that this was just one of many scenarios that could take place? Submit a plan for keeping the team intact and paying the tax, submit a plan for getting under the tax line, etc.

And now the news-grabbing headline says "Lore/ARod submitted plan to cut payroll!"

This wasn't "One of many scenarios".
This was the business plan they have to get passed by the Board of Governors and Board of Governors finance committee as prospective new owners..

If they submit a plan saying they are going to bring the team back and pay 76 million dollars in luxury tax, they need to submit financial evidence that they can make that work.

Which if money is not an issue for them they should have no problem doing.
But money is apparently a big issue for them.

Silver came out just yesterday and said this buying a team on a payment plan thing is probably never going to be allowed again.
They don't like this bid one bit, but they can't take sides right now without risking getting pulled into the litigation.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#1019 » by thinktank » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:22 pm

younggunsmn wrote:

This was the business plan they have to get passed by the Board of Governors and Board of Governors finance committee as prospective new owners..

If they submit a plan saying they are going to bring the team back and pay 76 million dollars in luxury tax, they need to submit financial evidence that they can make that work.

Silver came out just yesterday and said this buying a team on a payment plan thing is probably never going to be allowed again.
They don't like this bid one bit, but they can't take sides right now without risking getting pulled into the litigation.

Strikes me that the purpose would be to benchmark the most conservative business plan.

If you want approval, you offer a realistic plan.

I don’t think you’d offer a shoot for the moon plan and expect that to be your best chance at approval.

More importantly, any roster salary projection is not binding anyway.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1020 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:29 pm

younggunsmn wrote:

The bolded is what we're all just guessing about.

Its entirely possible that that's the one and only plan they submitted. Its also possible it was one of many options depending on how the season went.

Something was clearly leaked, but we have no idea if it was a full document or a targeted portion of it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves