Post#1301 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,637

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two** 

Post#1302 » by TimberKat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:23 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I wonder...would you guys make any comparison from Towns to someone we're about to see again in Aaron Gordon? Miscast as the "team leader" on bad Orlando/Minnesota teams, but able to conform to a supporting role. The change happened differently, where Gordon had to be traded from Orlando while Towns made a jump by Minnesota adding a player above him to help find his proper role.

Karl was always the best player on the Wolves in his early days. He was not the locker room leader because he was too young. Then Jimmy came in and became the leader. Then it was a rotating series of vets including Bev and Conley. Karl was also always undersized for a C. He did well with what he has, but he should have been a PF his entire career.

I think it's more a case of no one could do it alone. Jordan needs Pippen, MJ had Kareem, Bird got McHale, LBJ got his big 3s.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,540

Post#1303 » by Domejandro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#1304 » by Neeva » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 am

Needs to play smarter and not make silly fouls against Denver we need him on the court.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#1305 » by frankenwolf » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:18 pm

Neeva wrote:Needs to play smarter and not make silly fouls against Denver we need him on the court.

That's right Ant! :D :D
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#1306 » by shrink » Wed May 1, 2024 1:33 pm

I’m on the road, and I’ve had the chance to catch up on podcasts. Britt had an interesting thought that I wanted to share.

Karl Anthony Towns is both flawed and at the same time a superstar. If you are a Towns defender, he is going to do things that make you look stupid. If you are a Towns hater, he is going to do things that make you look stupid too. To me, that makes him fascinating, and the perfect guy for us here to argue about!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#1307 » by shrink » Wed May 1, 2024 1:44 pm

Another thought I had was that many people thought this last game was the best Towns performance ever (though I would still lean towards last year’s Play In game versus the Laker). Towns was indeed magnificent, even though Ant was probably even better, with his 31 points on the second half, keeping PHX at bay.

The team won that game though because it was both of them. In the first half, PHX continued to double Ant, and he is figuring out how to pass out of it. With the rest of the team going 1-for-15 from 3, Towns was a beast, 3-for-3 and personally keeping MIN close, waiting for the third quarter. The pair did so well in fact, that PHX finally changed its defense. They needed more help on KAT, so they finally decided to stop doubling Ant. And when Ant was single covered, he just “killed anything in front of him.”

We need both guys to be this successful against DEN. The Nuggets have one decent defender - Aaron Gordon - who has the size and speed to defend either Ant OR Karl. They have no Bruce Brown any more, and KCP won’t be as good at defending Ant as he is. If Ant and Karl are being successful, they may try to double Ant and stick AG on Towns. Both can only slow them down, plus if our guys continue to make good passes and not turn the ball over, I think our other players should be very successful! Bring on DEN!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215

Post#1308 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 5:19 pm

shrink wrote:I’m on the road, and I’ve had the chance to catch up on podcasts. Britt had an interesting thought that I wanted to share.

Karl Anthony Towns is both flawed and at the same time a superstar. If you are a Towns defender, he is going to do things that make you look stupid. If you are a Towns hater, he is going to do things that make you look stupid too. To me, that makes him fascinating, and the perfect guy for us here to argue about!

I mentioned somewhere else that the Ant/KAT duo is so difficult to find a comparison for, but I think a big part of that is due to the struggle to find a good comparison for KAT.

I remember in his first few years, we talked about the floor of his trajectory being Al Horford. Even though Towns is past where Horford peaked offensively, I still think that's an interesting comparison. Horford might not have ever been a superstar, but he wasn't far off. At his statistical peak, he averaged 17/10 on a 44-win Hawks team. A couple years later, Atlanta's three-headed monster of Horford, Millsap and Teague led the Hawks to 60 wins, but Al's individual numbers dropped to 15/7.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,637

Post#1309 » by TimberKat » Wed May 1, 2024 5:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:I’m on the road, and I’ve had the chance to catch up on podcasts. Britt had an interesting thought that I wanted to share.

I mentioned somewhere else that the Ant/KAT duo is so difficult to find a comparison for, but I think a big part of that is due to the struggle to find a good comparison for KAT.

I remember in his first few years, we talked about the floor of his trajectory being Al Horford. Even though Towns is past where Horford peaked offensively, I still think that's an interesting comparison. Horford might not have ever been a superstar, but he wasn't far off. At his statistical peak, he averaged 17/10 on a 44-win Hawks team. A couple years later, Atlanta's three-headed monster of Horford, Millsap and Teague led the Hawks to 60 wins, but Al's individual numbers dropped to 15/7.

He is Tom and Jerry in one minute and Puss in Boots at another. (not that kind, I am talking the Franch fairly tale or DreamWorks movie).
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,744

Post#1310 » by minimus » Wed May 1, 2024 7:25 pm

Towns played only one game against DEN on Nov.1, 2023. I am rewatching this game right now and it was almost perfect game from Karl.. IN DEFENSE!!! Active hands, verticality while contesting shots, did not foul much. In offense he punished smaller defenders. MIN won that game 110-89
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,540

Post#1311 » by Domejandro » Sun May 5, 2024 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,955

Post#1312 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2024 1:49 pm

I would hope that KAT's play so far in the 2024 playoffs has been enough to put to rest the notion that he should be benched in favor of Naz. I'm guessing it hasn't though. Some are probably holding on to that notion.
CometGM
Senior
And1: 423

Post#1313 » by CometGM » Tue May 7, 2024 4:12 am

KGdaBom wrote:
CometGM wrote:I think this team is gonna be scary defensively. KAT will have more leniency to chase down blocks (or hold his ground to allow Gobert to chase). More importantly I think having a defensive player like Gobert will motivate him to be better defensively. He's shown in the past he can be locked in defensively and the team has actually been really good when he's locked in. The issue has been that he reverts back. A constant defensive presence like Gobert could unlock a more consistent defensive KAT. I feel this will be a top 3 defensive team and KAT's best year defensively.
KGdaBom wrote:From your Keyboard to God's eyes. :D

This prediction was a year early but looks like God decided it's time.

It's early, but so far so good.

It's not that early anymore. God has spoken.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,744

Post#1314 » by minimus » Tue May 7, 2024 4:49 am

Read on Twitter

Deserves my apology
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#1315 » by Neeva » Tue May 7, 2024 5:51 am

Love Karl just wish he was making 10-12 million less per each season on next contract so wolves can pay Naw and slowmo:/ and keep all the gang together.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 417

Post#1316 » by Guest84 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:14 pm

Was Karl actually even injured?? The same injury as Joel but later in the season, yet he looks like it never happened while Joel was completely breaking down.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,594

Post#1317 » by Note30 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:28 pm

Neeva wrote:Love Karl just wish he was making 10-12 million less per each season on next contract so wolves can pay Naw and slowmo:/ and keep all the gang together.

If we win it all maybe Glen will actually keep the squad and hit past the apron.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,148

Post#1318 » by Colbinii » Wed May 8, 2024 2:29 pm

Neeva wrote:Love Karl just wish he was making 10-12 million less per each season on next contract so wolves can pay Naw and slowmo:/ and keep all the gang together.

NAW will be here next year. They are going to be right up to the 2nd Apron [Like 500K below it] with just #27 and bringing back McLaughlin as a minumum.

I think SlowMo is going to be impossible to keep, unless Ownership says "**** It" and SlowMo agrees to a 1-year, tax MLE dead [~5-6 Million]. I think SlowMo can get MLE money as a free agent, but maybe he gets undervalued by the entire league [doubt it].

Bringing back our Top 7 is big though, puts us in good shape as long as one of Minott/Moore/Miller/Clark/#27 can provide something as a 10-15 MPG piece in the post-season.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,649

Post#1319 » by winforlose » Wed May 8, 2024 2:29 pm

Guest84 wrote:Was Karl actually even injured?? The same injury as Joel but later in the season, yet he looks like it never happened while Joel was completely breaking down.

Karl had been having knee issues for a while. It is possible he was playing on a torn meniscus for some time, (at least since he missed a game against the Kings.) The symptoms may have worsened as the injury worsened, prompting the scan and the eventual surgery. Embiid obviously has more wrong with him than KAT. You don’t know what else is wrong with Embiid.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 417

Post#1320 » by Guest84 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:40 pm

winforlose wrote:
Guest84 wrote:Was Karl actually even injured?? The same injury as Joel but later in the season, yet he looks like it never happened while Joel was completely breaking down.

Karl has been having knee issues for a while. It is possible he was playing on a torn meniscus for some time, (at least since he missed a game against the Kings.) The symptoms may have worsened as the injury worsened, prompting the scan and the eventual surgery. Embiid obviously has more wrong with him than KAT. You don’t know what else is wrong with Embiid.

Yeah I'm aware...it was more tongue and cheek or being sarcastic I guess you could say. Just speaking to how good Karl has looked since coming back.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves