Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,100

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two** 

Post#1261 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,511

Post#1262 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I suspect we will see Karl against the Nuggets tomorrow.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#1263 » by shrink » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:55 pm

For the record, the Hollinger and Duncan show had Zach Lowe on, and they did a feature on “stars that could be on other teams in 2025.” Towns was the second guy they mentioned. (1. Trae Young, 3. Luka 4. Donovan Mitchell)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1264 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:57 pm

shrink wrote:For the record, the Hollinger and Duncan show had Zach Lowe on, and they did a feature on “stars that could be on other teams in 2025.” Towns was the second guy they mentioned. (1. Trae Young, 3. Luka 4. Donovan Mitchell)

It'd be foolish to turn a blind eye to the possibility, no matter how they finish.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,277

Post#1265 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:33 pm

shrink wrote:For the record, the Hollinger and Duncan show had Zach Lowe on, and they did a feature on “stars that could be on other teams in 2025.” Towns was the second guy they mentioned. (1. Trae Young, 3. Luka 4. Donovan Mitchell)

With the ownership issue, Taylor may trade Towns. He's already expressed how difficult it may be, financially, to keep the team together.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 155

Post#1266 » by Loaf_of_bread » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:36 pm

shrink wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:
That is a very bold claim. While kat's sample size in the playoffs is limited, he hasn't performed well. This year is a make or break as far as I'm concerned.

This. I hope it’s well enough that Wolves can get a ton of assets when they trade him.

Even if this is true (and I think it is), it’s the “ton” part that’s the problem.

Towns is consolidated talent, perhaps a top 25-35 guy. You can only play 5 guys on the court at once, so those five are the ones impacting winning. Any trade for multiple assets (especially picks, but even players), means we dilute the talent we can put out there. Meanwhile, MIN has an excellent bench as well, with a couple players that could be starters. Bringing in multiple players minimizes impact, because some good players (new or existing) will get less minutes.

It has been a long time since a team without an elite superstar has won a championship. There was Detroit back in 2004, who had five “good” starters, but they were the exception. MIN right now is trying to compete without a top 5, maybe even top 10 player (though Ant can grow to this), and win with just three stars in the 25-35 range. That is hard enough, but even trading Towns for 2-3 top 75 players just dilutes us too much for playoff basketball.

A Towns trade for a “ton” of assets might help us maintain in the regular season, when depth and injuries affect a team’s overall record. However, in the playoffs benches shrink, and the only trade that comes to mine that maintains our playoff chances was the unlikely Durant deal. Similarly, maybe this summer we’ll see some players who are comparable to Towns or even better ask for a trade if their teams vastly under-perform their pre-season goals. But right now, when the goal is to win an NBA championship, it’s hard for me to see any likely Towns trade that moves us towards that goal.

Completely agree with your logic. And I am a biased Towns hater. The guy has mutured, but not to the level of praises in regards to: "he changed positions, he is taking a backseat to Ant being the guy, he is loyal..." F all that. Something about Kat where he wears his emotions on his sleeves that is an indicator that he is anti-clutch. I could go on, and it's fine if you disagree.

Consider adding Kat's FG% in the playoffs instead of just the underwhelming averages.

I think what we can agree upon is that finding a trade that improves our chances to win a championship, making us better in the short term, is a major challenge.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#1267 » by Note30 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:44 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:
shrink wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:This. I hope it’s well enough that Wolves can get a ton of assets when they trade him.

Even if this is true (and I think it is), it’s the “ton” part that’s the problem.

Towns is consolidated talent, perhaps a top 25-35 guy. You can only play 5 guys on the court at once, so those five are the ones impacting winning. Any trade for multiple assets (especially picks, but even players), means we dilute the talent we can put out there. Meanwhile, MIN has an excellent bench as well, with a couple players that could be starters. Bringing in multiple players minimizes impact, because some good players (new or existing) will get less minutes.

It has been a long time since a team without an elite superstar has won a championship. There was Detroit back in 2004, who had five “good” starters, but they were the exception. MIN right now is trying to compete without a top 5, maybe even top 10 player (though Ant can grow to this), and win with just three stars in the 25-35 range. That is hard enough, but even trading Towns for 2-3 top 75 players just dilutes us too much for playoff basketball.

A Towns trade for a “ton” of assets might help us maintain in the regular season, when depth and injuries affect a team’s overall record. However, in the playoffs benches shrink, and the only trade that comes to mine that maintains our playoff chances was the unlikely Durant deal. Similarly, maybe this summer we’ll see some players who are comparable to Towns or even better ask for a trade if their teams vastly under-perform their pre-season goals. But right now, when the goal is to win an NBA championship, it’s hard for me to see any likely Towns trade that moves us towards that goal.

Completely agree with your logic. And I am a biased Towns hater. The guy has mutured, but not to the level of praises in regards to: "he changed positions, he is taking a backseat to Ant being the guy, he is loyal..." F all that. Something about Kat where he wears his emotions on his sleeves that is an indicator that he is anti-clutch. I could go on, and it's fine if you disagree.

Consider adding Kat's FG% in the playoffs instead of just the underwhelming averages.

I think what we can agree upon is that finding a trade that improves our chances to win a championship, making us better in the short term, is a major challenge.

If you think trading KAT based on the assets we have makes us a better team than before then you're blind.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#1268 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 am

Note30 wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:
shrink wrote:Even if this is true (and I think it is), it’s the “ton” part that’s the problem.

If you think trading KAT based on the assets we have makes us a better team than before then you're blind.

Ill admit my take is a bit all over the place, but I have no clue what your take is. Try rephrasing what you are trying to say.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#1269 » by shrink » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:02 am

Baseline81 wrote:

With the ownership issue, Taylor may trade Towns. He's already expressed how difficult it may be, financially, to keep the team together.

I think he said that to try to encourage the public to help fund a stadium. In fact, he made this quote right after saying he thought the arena was “fine.” Kind of like, “well, if the public won’t pay …?” For the record, the day before he said he was fine with paying whatever.

I suppose it all depends on if you believe ARod and Lore have the bucks, but I know Taylor does, and I’d trust him more to pay lux next year. But if they are smart, either ownership group is going to pay lux next year, to get that new arena and to raise their revenues up to at least league average. For the record, an increase to league average revenues is greater than the luxury taxes ownership would pay next year.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1270 » by Note30 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:32 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:

Ill admit my take is a bit all over the place, but I have no clue what your take is. Try rephrasing what you are trying to say.

It's not a "major challenge" it's impossible, if you can't see that you're blind.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#1271 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:48 am

Note30 wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:
Note30 wrote:

It's not a "major challenge" it's impossible, if you can't see that you're blind.

I may be a bit off-putting in terms of my dislike for kat, but only trying to open a discussion.

Stating that trading kat is impossible, and anyone that would question if it's in the realm of possibility is "blind"?

Not quite as smart as you apparently..
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#1272 » by Note30 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:55 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:Ill admit my take is a bit all over the place, but I have no clue what your take is. Try rephrasing what you are trying to say.

I may be a bit off-putting in terms of my dislike for kat, but only trying to open a discussion.

Stating that trading kat is impossible, and anyone that would question if it's in the realm of possibility is "blind"?

Go on then, propose a trade that would make us better in the short term and get us a better player or players that would be more likely to help us win a chip by trading KAT.

It's not possible.

This is the problem with trading most of your future picks for a player with a limited skill set in the same position as one of your best players without any proof that they are one step away from a chip.

You can't improve. You're stuck. Best of luck with what you've got. Unless you have some Masai Ujiri / Danny Ainge type slanted trades, you are more or less screwed. You can make minor improvements at the margins but that's it.

Loaf_of_bread
Junior

Post#1273 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:05 am

Note30 wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Go on then, propose a trade that would make us better in the short term and get us a better player or players that would be more likely to help us win a chip by trading KAT.

It's not possible.

This is the problem with trading most of your future picks for a player with a limited skill set in the same position as one of your best players without any proof that they are one step away from a chip.

You can't improve. You're stuck. Best of luck with what you've got. Unless you have some Masai Ujiri / Danny Ainge type slanted trades, you are more or less screwed. You can make minor improvements at the margins but that's it.

What is not possible is having a relevant debate with someone with your mindset.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1274 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:40 am

Note30 wrote:Go on then, propose a trade that would make us better in the short term and get us a better player or players that would be more likely to help us win a chip by trading KAT.

It's not possible.

Obviously, if a trade were to go down, it likely would be done with a motive other than "make us better in the short term". You may not like it, I may not like it, but that's the business side of the NBA.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,855

Post#1275 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:20 pm

For those who are interested in trading KAT I think this report is very intriguing.

The Atlanta Hawks are likely to trade one of Trae Young or Dejounte Murray, sources told Marc Stein of The Stein Line.

Young was recently cleared to return to practice following finger surgery.

The Hawks will play the Bulls in the play-in game next week.

MARC STEIN/THE STEIN LINE

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Young and he and KAT would blend beautifully together.

I'd like to make that deal and keep draft picks out of it, by us getting Murray and Capela, but maybe Capela and Murray would cost too much. Here's looking at their contracts.
Dejounte Murray
2024-25 Contract details by year 28 $24,799,600 $699,999 - - $25,499,599 18.08%
$24,799,600
($24,799,600)
2025-26 Contract details by year 29 $26,783,600 $755,968 - - $27,539,568 17.76%
$27,539,568
($52,339,168)
2026-27 Contract details by year 30 $28,767,536 $756,000 - - $29,523,536 17.30%
$29,523,536
($81,862,704)
2027-28 Contract details by year 31
Player
$30,751,504 $756,000 - - $31,507,504 16.79%
$31,507,504
($113,370,208

Clint Capela

2024-25 Contract details by year 30 $22,265,280 - $2,000,000 - $22,265,280 15.79%
$22,265,280
($42,881,280)
$22,265,28
Just signed for one season and is turning 30 in one month.
Rounding the numbers off it's it's 46 million for the pair next year.
KAT's contract
2024-25 Contract details by year 28
Estimate
$49,350,000 - - - $49,350,000
Estimate
35.00%
$49,350,000
($49,350,000)
2025-26 Contract details by year 29
Estimate
$53,298,000 - - - $53,298,000 34.36%
$53,298,000
($102,648,000)
2026-27 Contract details by year 30
Estimate
$57,246,000 - - - $57,246,000 33.55%
$57,246,000
($159,894,000)
Player
$61,194,000 - - - $61,194,000 32.61%
$61,194,000
($221,088,000)

One year of Murray and Capela at a slight savings. Then we let Capela walk and it's Miller Time. I'd feel really bad about doing KAT dirty like that. I do believe KAT will pair very nicely with Young.

I'm not averse to a draft pick or two coming our way in the deal, but I like Capela and his expiring contract after next year. It almost makes too much sense and we may have to do it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1276 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:02 pm

My only question is if Capela can play with Gobert. As the third big, he will need to do so.

I would push for Okongwu in that deal. Or possibly try to move Capela to a third team.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#1277 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:24 pm

KGdaBom wrote:For those who are interested in trading KAT I think this report is very intriguing.

The Atlanta Hawks are likely to trade one of Trae Young or Dejounte Murray, sources told Marc Stein of The Stein Line.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Young and he and KAT would blend beautifully together.

I'd like to make that deal and keep draft picks out of it, by us getting Murray and Capela, but maybe Capela and Murray would cost too much. Here's looking at their contracts.
Dejounte Murray
$24,799,600
($24,799,600)
$27,539,568
($52,339,168)
$29,523,536
($81,862,704)
Player
$31,507,504
($113,370,208

Clint Capela

2024-25 Contract details by year 30 $22,265,280 - $2,000,000 - $22,265,280 15.79%
$22,265,280
($42,881,280)
$22,265,28
KAT's contract
Estimate
Estimate
35.00%
$49,350,000
($49,350,000)
Estimate
$53,298,000
($102,648,000)
Estimate
$57,246,000
($159,894,000)
Player
$61,194,000
($221,088,000)

One year of Murray and Capela at a slight savings. Then we let Capela walk and it's Miller Time. I'd feel really bad about doing KAT dirty like that. I do believe KAT will pair very nicely with Young.

I'm not averse to a draft pick or two coming our way in the deal, but I like Capela and his expiring contract after next year. It almost makes too much sense and we may have to do it.

This makes some assumptions, and honestly I don’t hate it, but I am pretty far away from loving it.

Assumption 1: Naz can sustain this level of shooting. How many times have we seen guys (Kyle and Jaden are easy examples,) have a terrific shooting year and then crash back to a previous percentage. One year is too small a sample size for the long term.

Assumption 2, Clint Cappella is a decent fit with this team. If Naz goes down, or if Kyle comes back, we are gonna see multiple non shooters sharing the floor again. Can Cappella play with Rudy? I am not sure he can, and if Naz goes down and Kyle is on the team, you now have no shooting bigs. The reason KAT and Naz work so well with Rudy is they space the floor.

Assumption 3, DJM is the best KAT return that is reasonable. I still say we need a blue chip back. Karl is an All Star for a reason. His uber efficient shooting and multi positional play make him a great fit anywhere. His improved defense is also a big plus for teams. Even in a sell low salary dump, I want a better return.

Finally, you assume that dumping Capella in a few years lets us afford Naz and NAW. I don’t know how the cap growth will go, but the 2nd apron penalties toward draft picks get brutal after 2 years. It basically poisons your pick 7 years out. If both NAW and Naz prove it next year, then we are unlikely to be able to afford both and Rudy. Which is why an influx of young and affordable talent, plus a hidden gem player like NAW would be important. If we are talking DJM, Jalen Johnson, and more now you have my attention.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1278 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:46 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:For those who are interested in trading KAT I think this report is very intriguing.

Dejounte Murray
$24,799,600
($24,799,600)
$27,539,568
($52,339,168)
$29,523,536
($81,862,704)
Player
$31,507,504
($113,370,208

Clint Capela

$22,265,280
($42,881,280)
$22,265,28
KAT's contract
Estimate
Estimate
35.00%
$49,350,000
($49,350,000)
Estimate
$53,298,000
($102,648,000)
Estimate
$57,246,000
($159,894,000)
Player
$61,194,000
($221,088,000)

This makes some assumptions, and honestly I don’t hate it, but I am pretty far away from loving it.

Assumption 1: Naz can sustain this level of shooting. How many times have we seen guys (Kyle and Jaden are easy examples,) have a terrific shooting year and then crash back to a previous percentage. One year is too small a sample size for the long term.

Assumption 2, Clint Cappella is a decent fit with this team. If Naz goes down, or if Kyle comes back, we are gonna see multiple non shooters sharing the floor again. Can Cappella play with Rudy? I am not sure he can, and if Naz goes down and Kyle is on the team, you now have no shooting bigs. The reason KAT and Naz work so well with Rudy is they space the floor.

Assumption 3, DJM is the best KAT return that is reasonable. I still say we need a blue chip back. Karl is an All Star for a reason. His uber efficient shooting and multi positional play make him a great fit anywhere. His improved defense is also a big plus for teams. Even in a sell low salary dump, I want a better return.

Finally, you assume that dumping Capella in a few years lets us afford Naz and NAW. I don’t know how the cap growth will go, but the 2nd apron penalties toward draft picks get brutal after 2 years. It basically poisons your pick 7 years out. If both NAW and Naz prove it next year, then we are unlikely to be able to afford both and Rudy. Which is why an influx of young and affordable talent, plus a hidden gem player like NAW would be important. If we are talking DJM, Jalen Johnson, and more now you have my attention.

Thanks for the reply.
Capela's contract expires at the end of 24-25. Not in a few years. This allows the Wolves to get back under the apron before any Brutal 2 year penalty. I know he's not a perfect fit, but the trade has to have matching salary doesn't it? My proposal accounts for that.

DJM is a great player IMO. Just a notch below KAT at more than $20 million less per year and he's locked up for years. Who is the player on KAT's level we could get that would save us the money needed to get under the Apron, but we wouldn't lose to Free Agency or have to resign to an amount that would put us over the apron once again. They're not going to give us DJM, Jalen Johnson and more. If you think they would I believe you are living in La La land. I want to hear you propose a deal that the other team would likely accept and give us the return that you want us to get.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1279 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Dejounte Murray
$24,799,600
($24,799,600)
$27,539,568
($52,339,168)
$29,523,536
($81,862,704)
Player
$31,507,504
($113,370,208

Clint Capela

$22,265,280
($42,881,280)
$22,265,28
KAT's contract
Estimate
Estimate
35.00%
$49,350,000
($49,350,000)
Estimate
$53,298,000
($102,648,000)
Estimate
$57,246,000
($159,894,000)
Player
$61,194,000
($221,088,000)

Thanks for the reply.
Capela's contract expires at the end of 24-25. Not in a few years. This allows the Wolves to get back under the apron before any Brutal 2 year penalty. I know he's not a perfect fit, but the trade has to have matching salary doesn't it? My proposal accounts for that.

DJM is a great player IMO. Just a notch below KAT at more than $20 million less per year and he's locked up for years. Who is the player on KAT's level we could get that would save us the money needed to get under the Apron, but we wouldn't lose to Free Agency or have to resign to an amount that would put us over the apron once again. They're not going to give us DJM, Jalen Johnson and more. If you think they would I believe you are living in La La land. I want to hear you propose a deal that the other team would likely accept and give us the return that you want us to get.

Give me till after the playoffs and remind me. The deal will depend on how well we do, how well KAT plays, and who if anyone gets seriously injured in the playoffs (I mean miss next season injured.) After that, I can give you multiple realistic proposals.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1280 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:07 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Give me till after the playoffs and remind me. The deal will depend on how well we do, how well KAT plays, and who if anyone gets seriously injured in the playoffs (I mean miss next season injured.) After that, I can give you multiple realistic proposals.

Realistic is the point. You have IMO pie in the sky optimism about what we could get. I too would prefer DJM, Jalen Johnson and more. We ask for that they may be so offended they cut off all communication with us. I'm very much looking forward to your multiple realistic proposals.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves