The official Wendell Moore Jr. thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,428

Re: The official Wendell Moore Jr. thread 

Post#101 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:17 pm

There are so many critical reactions abut him after summer league. I'm not here to debate whether or not they have merit, but this is exactly why you build a roster that's deep with veterans, to allow youth to take time to develop and improve. And it's not just about going down to the G League to get time on the court. I'd argue it's just as important to be around the team, with NBA coaches and NBA trainers to help you work on your game and work on your body.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,277

Post#102 » by Colbinii » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:24 pm

Klomp wrote:There are so many critical reactions abut him after summer league. I'm not here to debate whether or not they have merit, but this is exactly why you build a roster that's deep with veterans, to allow youth to take time to develop and improve. And it's not just about going down to the G League to get time on the court. I'd argue it's just as important to be around the team, with NBA coaches and NBA trainers to help you work on your game and work on your body.

It also screams "Dont overrate rookies". NBA Rookies typically are negative impact players in their minutes, even the best rookies. Anyone expecting a 20-30 pick to be a rotation level player is putting too many eggs into the basket. There was someone on the T&T board who said they would be shocked if Wendell Moore wasn't starting for us by the all-star break!

I like Moore as a prospect and as an important piece moving forward with this organization.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#103 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Klomp wrote:There are so many critical reactions abut him after summer league. I'm not here to debate whether or not they have merit, but this is exactly why you build a roster that's deep with veterans, to allow youth to take time to develop and improve. And it's not just about going down to the G League to get time on the court. I'd argue it's just as important to be around the team, with NBA coaches and NBA trainers to help you work on your game and work on your body.

It also screams "Dont overrate rookies". NBA Rookies typically are negative impact players in their minutes, even the best rookies. Anyone expecting a 20-30 pick to be a rotation level player is putting too many eggs into the basket. There was someone on the T&T board who said they would be shocked if Wendell Moore wasn't starting for us by the all-star break!

I like Moore as a prospect and as an important piece moving forward with this organization.

And I think fans need to come to the realization that we are now a playoff team. That comes with not only later picks as we've discussed but also an overall better roster talent level that rookies need to usurp for a rotation spot. It's not a slight on these prospects if they don't enter the rotation as a rookie or even second-year player.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#104 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 pm

Klomp wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

And I think fans need to come to the realization that we are now a playoff team. That comes with not only later picks as we've discussed but also an overall better roster talent level that rookies need to usurp for a rotation spot. It's not a slight on these prospects if they don't enter the rotation as a rookie or even second-year player.

It is what makes trading them easier for immediate contributors if and when you can. The strategy of win now and organically improving are significantly different. If you are good enough to attract role players you don't need to develop them. Sometimes you can luck into a player, more often than not you are talking low upside. You should hope to know what you have, but if you have the latter selling low/mid end developmental youth for production can be the better option... especially if you are talking a younger vet with some tread left. I think we see what Moore is and exploring options would be advisable. Keeping higher upside so it doesn't blow up in your face...I get that. That isn't Moore.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,786

Post#105 » by winforlose » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:06 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

It is what makes trading them easier for immediate contributors if and when you can. The strategy of win now and organically improving are significantly different. If you are good enough to attract role players you don't need to develop them. Sometimes you can luck into a player, more often than not you are talking low upside. You should hope to know what you have, but if you have the latter selling low/mid end developmental youth for production can be the better option... especially if you are talking a younger vet with some tread left. I think we see what Moore is and exploring options would be advisable. Keeping higher upside so it doesn't blow up in your face...I get that. That isn't Moore.

I think there is some truth to this. I also believe that we don’t know the true upside of Moore yet. But putting this aside for a moment I think there is a bigger consideration that needs addressing. I think the biggest question for Moore’s future is going to be the development of Minott and Lawson. If Minott turns into a 3&D SF who can play behind MCD and in a pinch play PF, (but with his weight and frame his natural position is SF,) and Lawson develops into a 3&D SG who can play meaningful minutes at SF as needed or even an emergency backup PG (played this in first year of college, and has the size for it, need to see his handle,) that narrows the path for Moore. Nowell and MCD are both young guys who in theory are also in Moore’s path, and that is before we even factor in Ant and Dlo. My point being even if Moore develops into a reasonably valuable SG/SF hybrid, there is no guarantee we keep him. It might make more sense in a year or two to move Moore for a different young prospect who fits better, (maybe a PF/C or pure PG.)
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#106 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:34 am

winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Klomp wrote:And I think fans need to come to the realization that we are now a playoff team. That comes with not only later picks as we've discussed but also an overall better roster talent level that rookies need to usurp for a rotation spot. It's not a slight on these prospects if they don't enter the rotation as a rookie or even second-year player.

I think there is some truth to this. I also believe that we don’t know the true upside of Moore yet. But putting this aside for a moment I think there is a bigger consideration that needs addressing. I think the biggest question for Moore’s future is going to be the development of Minott and Lawson. If Minott turns into a 3&D SF who can play behind MCD and in a pinch play PF, (but with his weight and frame his natural position is SF,) and Lawson develops into a 3&D SG who can play meaningful minutes at SF as needed or even an emergency backup PG (played this in first year of college, and has the size for it, need to see his handle,) that narrows the path for Moore. Nowell and MCD are both young guys who in theory are also in Moore’s path, and that is before we even factor in Ant and Dlo. My point being even if Moore develops into a reasonably valuable SG/SF hybrid, there is no guarantee we keep him. It might make more sense in a year or two to move Moore for a different young prospect who fits better, (maybe a PF/C or pure PG.)

I think the clear indication is Moore is very limited with both physical and developmental deficiencies and a lot of ground to make up, just to get to where he should be at his stage. In a year or two he may be worth less and not worth trading for value. At that time he might just be negative/neutral filler at best. You also gave up on 1 to 2 years of production in your prime window using a roster spot that could have helped to a greater extent. I would be absolutely confident trading Moore wouldn't end up biting you.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,786

Post#107 » by winforlose » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:56 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

I think the clear indication is Moore is very limited with both physical and developmental deficiencies and a lot of ground to make up, just to get to where he should be at his stage. In a year or two he may be worth less and not worth trading for value. At that time he might just be negative/neutral filler at best. You also gave up on 1 to 2 years of production in your prime window using a roster spot that could have helped to a greater extent. I would be absolutely confident trading Moore wouldn't end up biting you.

Okay, accepting your premise, who/what would you try and trade him for?
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:17 am

winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Okay, accepting your premise, who/what would you try and trade him for?

First off just because I think you explore trading him as part of a deal doesn't mean a trade is out there, but you look to see if something is out there, that is my point. What is out there? Who knows... I don't work in an NBA front office.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,756

Post#109 » by minimus » Wed Aug 3, 2022 1:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#110 » by Dewey » Wed Aug 3, 2022 7:27 pm

I think Minott, Moore, and Lawson (type guys) help us buffer the picks we gave for Gobert… by getting them signed, they give us opportunity in the short-term to see how they develop as an NBA contributor. If we can can get just 1 of those 3 to stick it’s a win. Get 2 of them and better yet. We always need depth as well as a mix of youth and vets
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM

Post#111 » by minimus » Sun Aug 7, 2022 6:54 pm

After watching some Moore (and Gobert) videos, I honestly believe that Wendell and Rudy combo has a lot of potential. Here is why:

1) Moore does not have quick first step, BUT he is a good mid range shooter, he also can finish through physical contact. If Rudy helps him with solid screen, Moore will have scoring opportunities all game long

2) Moore is a solid passer, with some practice he will be able to feed Gobert. It will be a two way connection

3) Moore is a physical, passionate, smart defender. Not an ideal PoA defender, but one who can work with Gobert to defend opponent ballhandler. If not this season Gobert and Moore might be our best defensive duo when we need to slow down opponent PoA
minimus
RealGM

Post#112 » by minimus » Wed Sep 7, 2022 10:25 am

minimus
RealGM

Post#113 » by minimus » Wed Sep 7, 2022 10:38 am

Read on Twitter
?s

One interesting stat: Royce O'Neale was top-3 in wide open 3s. Imagine Moore getting wide open looks 3pt looks with Gobert playing against opponent bench unit, imagine Moore defending opponent 6th man on perimeter, imagine Moore passing the ball to Gobert.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,024

Post#114 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 8, 2022 12:45 am

minimus wrote:https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VPfPg71oLuI

:o

I've seen him dunk just as impressive in actual games. :D
minimus
RealGM

Post#115 » by minimus » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:14 am

That block on Jokic was impressive! I wish Wendell has a little more confidence in offense. He usually makes cut and stands in corner. He could use some repetitions on ball, next to Edwards.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 7, 2023 3:03 am

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM

Post#117 » by minimus » Fri Apr 7, 2023 11:12 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Completely forgot that they are the same age... If Moore gets Ant's level of self confidence, oh man. I wonder why NAW gets minutes over Moore now, they kind of both fit PoA definition from the bench who can occasionally hit open three. Although I am really impressed by NAW effort, this guy gives everything on the floor, he also is agressive in offense, making cuts, hits offensive board, drive and kicks, takes open threes, while Moore has been kind of lost and passive in offense. But Moore is stronger, has really quick hands in defense. I really hope Moore will develop into rotational player and NAW resign on team friendly deal. It will give Finch freedom to be creative in defense: MCD, Anderson, Ant as defensive core, add next wave NAW, Moore, Minott.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 7, 2023 6:49 pm

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Completely forgot that they are the same age...

Fun fact: Ant, Wendell and Jaden were all on the same McDonalds AA team.

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,241

Post#119 » by Neeva » Fri Apr 7, 2023 7:21 pm

Dell needs to catch up to the other two fast!!
minimus
RealGM

Post#120 » by minimus » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:07 am

The moment he hit putback layup I knew this game was going to be special

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves