ImageImageImage

Anthony Edwards Thread: Part Two (Read First Post)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,142

Re: Anthony Edwards Thread: Part Two (Read First Post) 

Post#61 » by shrink » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:48 am

I love Edwards, especially at the end of that interview, aware of what he’s good at, and acknowledging what he’s not.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,241

Post#62 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:01 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,653

Post#63 » by winforlose » Wed Nov 2, 2022 12:50 am

Can someone who is good at advanced stats do an analysis of Ant’s defense for the board please? I am very curious how he is holding up in the new system.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,498

Post#64 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Nov 2, 2022 2:37 am

winforlose wrote:Can someone who is good at advanced stats do an analysis of Ant’s defense for the board please? I am very curious how he is holding up in the new system.

I’d be curious about that too.

My eye test says when he’s locked in against a good scorer he does well. But I think his team defense has regressed. He’s dying on screens, very soft close outs, guys are blowing by him and he seems unaware of what’s happening away from him.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Post#65 » by TimberKat » Thu Nov 3, 2022 3:26 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:Can someone who is good at advanced stats do an analysis of Ant’s defense for the board please? I am very curious how he is holding up in the new system.

My eye test says when he’s locked in against a good scorer he does well. But I think his team defense has regressed. He’s dying on screens, very soft close outs, guys are blowing by him and he seems unaware of what’s happening away from him.

I think he is taking too many breaks even in 1-1 situations. I feel the same about his team D but not sure he just don't know the rotation scheme or effort issue. Also, he is not the only one.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#66 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 3, 2022 3:32 am

TimberKat wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

I think he is taking too many breaks even in 1-1 situations. I feel the same about his team D but not sure he just don't know the rotation scheme or effort issue. Also, he is not the only one.

Didn’t he declare he was gonna be an elite defender this year? I might be mixing him up with MCD, but I thought he said he wants to make an all defense team.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#67 » by TimberKat » Mon Nov 7, 2022 1:18 am

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Didn’t he declare he was gonna be an elite defender this year? I might be mixing him up with MCD, but I thought he said he wants to make an all defense team.

I heard he was going after the Tyree Evans award :D
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#68 » by younggunsmn » Mon Nov 7, 2022 3:14 am

Ant does look a hair slower this year, maybe a small tradeoff for the added strength.
Playing drop putting a lot more pressure on the guards and wings in the pick and roll compared to high wall.
Different scheme. He doesn't look great in it, but he's far from the worst offender and we lost Pat guarding the point of attack so Ant taking on better scorers this year.

I don't like all the stepback 3's in ISO. But his teammates don't help at all when he calls for an Iso when he gets switched into a mismatch, and then some nitwit like Russell cuts into the lane (WTF is he going to do with a pass there, get blocked or blow a layup?), Finch has got to get this stuff straightened out.

He does seem to be more nimble when he goes to the basket this year and has a better repertoire of countermoves to go to.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,087

Post#69 » by whatisacenter » Mon Nov 7, 2022 7:23 am

Read on Twitter

was there any talk about Ant on this inbounds play after the game?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#70 » by TimberKat » Mon Nov 7, 2022 10:26 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Read on Twitter

was there any talk about Ant on this inbounds play after the game?

It looked a little better watching it live and I don't think there is any conversation of it in the game thread. Winning cures everything. It feels a lot worse on reply. Someone better talk with him before he turns into the worse version of James Harden or Kyrie 2.0
winforlose
General Manager

Post#71 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:18 pm

I was thinking a bit about our young core. We have Moore, Minott, Lawson, and Garza all looking like solid future rotation players sometime in the next 2-3 years. When we traded for Rudy there was a lot of talk about the two timelines. This timeline (with Ant still relatively young) is KAT’s, and then in a few years it switches more to Ant’s when he enters his prime. I see this young core as potentially significant in the same way the 19 young guys are to Karl now (Naz, JMAC, Nowell.) This would be an excellent leadership opportunity for Ant to take this young group and try to mentor them. Some may be older, but none are as experienced as Ant in the NBA. Those four plus MCD are Ant’s group to really grow and develop with. I just hope he had the same thought and seizes the moment.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,142

Post#72 » by shrink » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:15 pm

Kendrick Perkins calls Edwards a generational talent. Comparison to LaMelo Ball.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-anthony-edwards-generational-better-lamelo-ball
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,565

Post#73 » by Domejandro » Thu Dec 8, 2022 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,174

Post#74 » by Colbinii » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:21 pm

ANT has been very good recently.

ANT excluding 1st 4 games of season: 23.4/5.2/4.1 with 2.2 Steals, 3.1 Turnovers, 36.9% from 3 on 7.1 3PA/G, 57.7 TS%, 53.3 eFG%
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,031

Post#75 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:44 am

Colbinii wrote:ANT has been very good recently.

ANT excluding 1st 4 games of season: 23.4/5.2/4.1 with 2.2 Steals, 3.1 Turnovers, 36.9% from 3 on 7.1 3PA/G, 57.7 TS%, 53.3 eFG%

Hope he keeps up the intensity on defense, as well as the attacking mentality on offense. Averaging 7.8 FTA over his last 7, and only 5.8 3PA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:00 am

The current goal for this franchise needs to be centered around putting Anthony Edwards in the best position longterm. Any and all potential transactions should be framed with this in mind.

Step 1: Build a competitive franchise. This was the top goal of the Gobert trade. Not to win championships necessarily, but to get Ant into a position where he’s regularly playing meaningful basketball. At this point, they are only 2 games below .500 playing about as poorly as possible.

Step 2: Surround him with the correct skill sets. This might be where the Gobert trade erred. We are seeing that Ant is not at his best in big lineups, at least when Towns tries to be 08-09 Dwight Howard instead of 08-09 Rashard Lewis. Is that a management problem or a mindset problem with his teammates?

Step 3: Surround Ant with the correct personalities. This was the biggest issue with moving Beverley, and why it might not hurt to bring him back. It doesn’t make Beverley this incredible player or make him a bigger stakeholder, but he can absolutely be that impactful again. That’s the Garnett Effect. That’s the Haslem Effect. That’s the Beverley Effect.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:38 pm

This is a pretty significant mindset shift for him. I actually may like the idea of keeping Russell a lot more now as long as this attitude stays.

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:26 pm

Klomp wrote:This is a pretty significant mindset shift for him. I actually may like the idea of keeping Russell a lot more now as long as this attitude stays.

Read on Twitter

Here's the mindset shift I was referring to.

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#79 » by minimus » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:18 am

One thing I wish Edwards adds to his arsenal is advanced post-moves, I see how efficient he can be in the postup situationб ин using his pure strength against smaller opponents, and playing at SG he often has physical advantage.

Also maybe Finch can utilize Ant more as postup scorer by drawing these inverted plays, where Towns is on 3pt line feed Ant in the post.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#80 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 3, 2023 10:03 am

Klomp wrote:The current goal for this franchise needs to be centered around putting Anthony Edwards in the best position longterm. Any and all potential transactions should be framed with this in mind.

Step 1: Build a competitive franchise. This was the top goal of the Gobert trade. Not to win championships necessarily, but to get Ant into a position where he’s regularly playing meaningful basketball. At this point, they are only 2 games below .500 playing about as poorly as possible.

Step 2: Surround him with the correct skill sets. This might be where the Gobert trade erred. We are seeing that Ant is not at his best in big lineups, at least when Towns tries to be 08-09 Dwight Howard instead of 08-09 Rashard Lewis. Is that a management problem or a mindset problem with his teammates?

Step 3: Surround Ant with the correct personalities. This was the biggest issue with moving Beverley, and why it might not hurt to bring him back. It doesn’t make Beverley this incredible player or make him a bigger stakeholder, but he can absolutely be that impactful again. That’s the Garnett Effect. That’s the Haslem Effect. That’s the Beverley Effect.

1. Disagree…100% about a championship no matter how you slice it.
2. Agree. I believe that not having a floor general PG that this team struggles to adapt to change. I’m sure Flinch has tried things he’d like to have done differently, but still, coaches coach/prep and players play/execute. They all need to do their jobs.
3. Agree. I was for the trade, but despised Beverly being included. There are more of these players out there who are fail to wow the crowd with splash, but then there are the willing and able who grind and outwork the opponent. Gotta find a couple.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves