Identity crisis?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Re: Identity crisis? 

Post#141 » by minimus » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:After MIN have declined to pick up TP contract. I was wondering if I am missing something in Connelly vision. Iit makes me wonder if who Connelly assembled DEN around shooting and passing, just waived TP who hit 38.1% of threes and who is deadly from corners. It just does no make sense.

I know you basically answered yourself, but I think it’s about bringing in your own guys and putting your own fingerprint on the roster more than Prince doing anything wrong or Connelly not liking him.

Someone on reddit has done same research...

I found some interesting stats about Taurean Prince last season which surprised me. Not only did Prince really struggle after a good start to the season, he struggled in many important areas.

Shooting... If you don't count the NYK game, he shot 26.6% from 3 (16/60) from 3 after All Star break. There was a 20 game stretch beginning in February through early May where Prince only made more than one 3 twice (8/8 against NYK, and 2/4 against Atlanta).

He only shot 28% from 3 while guarded 2-4 feet last season and only 31% when a defender was within 4-6 feet. Nearly all of his 3 point shots were assisted.

Rebounding... He was one of the worst rebounding forwards in the NBA last season. Rebounding was a major problem for the Wolves. Prince only averaged 2.4 rebounds last season. Almost all of his rebounds were uncontested with a few being contested by one player. Under 1% of his rebounds last season were with more than 1 player contesting the rebound... so I am guessing that would be 1 rebound (maybe 2 rebounds) for the entire season with more than 1 person contesting?

Turnovers... He averaged more turnovers than Conley or McLaughlin, despite barely handling the ball and playing limited minutes. He gave up about 1.3 turnovers per game (including a baffling turnover at the end of the Bulls game that lost the game). He was 5th on the team in turnovers per 100 possessions, behind only Ant, KAT, Naz, and Knight.

Consistency... He had an offensive rating of 88 and defensive rating of 122 in losses last season. His FG% in wins was 49.8% but only 39.4% in losses.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#142 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:58 pm

^ that's why I really don't like one dimensional shooters, like Seth Curry for example. When they go cold, there's no other avenues of incoming value and they become a net negative player.

I'm 100% on board with DDV right now. Even if it all goes wrong and he's shooting low 30s from 3, he's still crashing the boards. Still hustling and playing defense. With DDV, that would give us 4 guys in the top 40 in deflections last season - SloMo, Ant, DDV, and Jaden. He also had a higher steal percentage than any of our guys last season, and his defensive rebounding was better than any of our perimeter players besides Ant. I wish he was a little more of a playmaker, but other than that, he seems like a perfect fit in both skills offered and current roster construction.

When you look at his numbers across the board, he stacks up very well with Alex Caruso.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,468

Post#143 » by younggunsmn » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:30 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:^ that's why I really don't like one dimensional shooters, like Seth Curry for example. When they go cold, there's no other avenues of incoming value and they become a net negative player.

I'm 100% on board with DDV right now. Even if it all goes wrong and he's shooting low 30s from 3, he's still crashing the boards. Still hustling and playing defense. With DDV, that would give us 4 guys in the top 40 in deflections last season - SloMo, Ant, DDV, and Jaden. He also had a higher steal percentage than any of our guys last season, and his defensive rebounding was better than any of our perimeter players besides Ant. I wish he was a little more of a playmaker, but other than that, he seems like a perfect fit in both skills offered and current roster construction.

When you look at his numbers across the board, he stacks up very well with Alex Caruso.

Keep talking me into him. My worry with him is that his success last year was a product of the Warriors system.
He was a pretty putrid shooter the year prior.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,974

Post#144 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:49 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:^ that's why I really don't like one dimensional shooters, like Seth Curry for example. When they go cold, there's no other avenues of incoming value and they become a net negative player.

Keep talking me into him. My worry with him is that his success last year was a product of the Warriors system.
He was a pretty putrid shooter the year prior.

I'd like to get someone better than Alex Caruso.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,468

Post#145 » by younggunsmn » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:49 am

The thing that's changed in regards to trading KAT is that for the first time in franchise history we would have a pretty good team and bright future without him. It's always meant a rebuild before trading a player of his caliber.

Now, we could trade him for nothing but draft picks and we would still have a team that could make the playoffs, without any glaring holes. We'd have an elite offensive big and an elite defensive big, a versatile 4 (Slo-Mo) and a rookie 4 with potential (Miller).
Ascending young players on the wings and a smart veteran PG.

What we need KAT for is to take us to that next level. If we get a repeat of his last 3 playoff performances again, it's probably time to move on next summer.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#146 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:54 am

younggunsmn wrote:The thing that's changed in regards to trading KAT is that for the first time in franchise history we would have a pretty good team and bright future without him. It's always meant a rebuild before trading a player of his caliber.

Now, we could trade him for nothing but draft picks and we would still have a team that could make the playoffs, without any glaring holes. We'd have an elite offensive big and an elite defensive big, a versatile 4 (Slo-Mo) and a rookie 4 with potential (Miller).
Ascending young players on the wings and a smart veteran PG.

What we from KAT for is to take us to that next level. If we get a repeat of his last 3 playoff performances again, it's probably time to move on next summer.

You make some good points. I think we can make the playoffs without KAT, but it would be a dogfight and we'd end up a very low seed. I'm hoping for a healthy season and a high seed with advancing in the playoffs likely. I think we need KAT for that.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#147 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:25 am

How do people rank the following FA targets?

Brown
DiVincenzo
Levert
Gordon
Strus
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#148 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:29 am

Krapinsky wrote:How do people rank the following FA targets?

Brown
DiVincenzo
Levert
Gordon
Strus

1 Brown
2 DiVincezo
3 Gordon
4 Levert
5 Strus
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#149 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:47 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:How do people rank the following FA targets?

Brown
DiVincenzo
Levert
Gordon
Strus

1 Brown
2 DiVincezo
3 Gordon
4 Levert
5 Strus

I agree with this, though I think of all the players DiVincenzo still has most untapped upside.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
minimus
RealGM

Identity crisis? 

Post#150 » by minimus » Sat Jul 8, 2023 8:28 am

Read on Twitter

That was game defining moment for me:

Miller help rotation and vertical contest AND Moore second effort which lead to NOP turnover.

This combination of mobile big man and athletic wings and guards has a lot of value. Miller and Minott + Moore and Clarke might be defensive menace in couple years. That's direction that can be our identity once our players are fully developed. The only thing that we need is a big movement shooter like Cameron Johnson or Porter Jr: big enough not be destroyed in defense and one who can shoot over opponents and run in transition. I thing at some point we will draft such player or trade for him.

This group can't shoot to save their life, but if you star possession with such aggression to attack the rim you will create a lot of good open looks. I think right now this should be main point of in-game development for these guys: find, recognize good opportunities to attack rim, make right read and pass/move the ball. Shooting should be main thing individual training.

P.S. Obviously there were many other hustle plays from Miller, Minott, Moore. But we kind of knew that all of them are good defenders. This play stood out for me as example of multiple effort and skills/effort/IQ combo
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,271

Post#151 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 8, 2023 11:49 pm

Thinking about it more, I don't think the team has ever had an identity crisis. They've never questioned who they are or wavered from it. It's outside sources that are questioning if they made the right choice.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:02 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 910

Post#153 » by Dalvin » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:54 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Miller help rotation and vertical contest AND Moore second effort which lead to NOP turnover.

This combination of mobile big man and athletic wings and guards has a lot of value. Miller and Minott + Moore and Clarke might be defensive menace in couple years. That's direction that can be our identity once our players are fully developed. The only thing that we need is a big movement shooter like Cameron Johnson or Porter Jr: big enough not be destroyed in defense and one who can shoot over opponents and run in transition. I thing at some point we will draft such player or trade for him.

This group can't shoot to save their life, but if you star possession with such aggression to attack the rim you will create a lot of good open looks. I think right now this should be main point of in-game development for these guys: find, recognize good opportunities to attack rim, make right read and pass/move the ball. Shooting should be main thing individual training.

P.S. Obviously there were many other hustle plays from Miller, Minott, Moore. But we kind of knew that all of them are good defenders. This play stood out for me as example of multiple effort and skills/effort/IQ combo

Don't we already have that in KAT? :D
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
minimus
RealGM

Identity crisis? 

Post#154 » by minimus » Sun Jul 9, 2023 8:15 am

Dalvin wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Don't we already have that in KAT? :D

That's a good question, last season Towns was not such player

Just give an example of dynamic shooter, watch this video of Miller

He has been playing pretty bad in SL, but you can how his quick release, length, mobility will change opponent team defensive tactic. In other words, having such player is like having one more playmaker on the floor. He won't have ball in the hands, but his shooting gravity will multiply such team components as Gobert screens and Conley passing.

From what I see is that Towns has advantage in terms of quickness against C, but in general his shooting release is not fast and footwork is questionable. Last season he played as PF next to Gobert and all of the sudden he faced much quicker opponents, started to rush his shot. As results he was not as effective as few years ago. Towns still can be very effective at PF, but he needs to be much more decisive with and without the ball. In other words he still can play at his pace, but he needs to improve his decision making. For instance Jokic has never been fast athletically nor has quick shooting release. But his decision making is so quick and his footwork is elite. I mean it is not about making postup quick or shoot quick. When I watch Jokic it takes a second for him to start postup, pass or shoot. The rest is technique. Obviously chemistry helps, hopefully MIN players will be able to build some chemistry this time.
minimus
RealGM

Post#155 » by minimus » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:39 am

Read on Twitter

It looks like Towns is working in this direction
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:12 am

Read on Twitter

Feels like there's room for growth here, in a few areas.

1. I like working on getting Gobert involved on more rolls, not just for his benefit, but I have a feeling that defenses weren't respecting it as an option, especially once Towns got hurt and before Conley and NAW got here. Russell rarely utilized Rudy and Ant's stories are hitting the mainstream now about not knowing how to throw alley-oops. If defenses respect the roll, it clears the lane for the ballhandler and then also behind the roller.

2. Towns' return to health. People talk about the 3-pointers and the post game as his most potent options, but where we last saw him at his best was with drives as a prevalent part of his game.

This season, Towns is currently averaging 7.8 drives per game, which is the most for any center by 2.3, per NBA Stats. (Side note, when you filter by center, they also show Julius Randle at 9.0, but that feels fraudulent given Randle is more of a power forward.) Among all players, Towns also has the third-highest points percentage on drives at 83.5 and the fifth-highest field goal percentage of 57.8. Even though it feels like the Timberwolves regularly get a bad whistle, Towns is being fouled on 16.4% of his shot attempts (74th percentile), the highest mark of his career, and is being fouled on the floor on 3.4% of the team’s plays (91st percentile), per Cleaning the Glass. Both of those foul numbers are directly attributable to the increase in drives by Towns. Towns’ combination of inside-outside scoring has always made him a matchup nightmare for opponents, but now that he has added a versatile driving repertoire to his game, he is proving to be one of the league’s best scorers

https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/3/29/23000660/how-karl-anthony-towns-has-become-the-nbas-most-versatile-scoring-center-timberwolves

3. Continued Naz development. Only 34% of his shots were from 0-3 feet (lowest percent of his career). I think with an established role and identity that we saw from the all-star break on, this can be exploited even more.

Read on Twitter

4. We all know about Ant's abilities at the rim, but he had the lowest dunk percentage of his career last year. He settled for midrange often. Let's get that back up!

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Post#157 » by TimberKat » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:33 am

On #4, do they count layup as dunks? Just from the eye test, he still goes to the rim a lot but just not dunking the ball.
minimus
RealGM

Post#158 » by minimus » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:45 am

m2002brian wrote:f you’re pro KAT you can say anything you like and only offensive stats matter. Injury history, defense, attitude are baseless points. I posted a video with real stats, that showed that even as he was getting 9 rebounds per games, when KAT was on the floor the other teams offensive rebounding went up 8.2%.

Now riddle me this… what part of the game to the Timberwolves struggle with the most?????

Source: https://youtu.be/ZKCVCDOy-RY

Ding ding ding… giving up offensive rebounds.

Sure, Towns deserves critique for poor defensive rebounding, but this is a system issue. We saw this when we played high wall two seasons ago, when Towns was more on perimeter. But we also saw it this season, even with Gobert addition and more conservative drop scheme that favours defensive rebounding we were awfully bad at rebounding as group. That is why this is a team issue, that cant be solved by bringing here one elite performer. Moreover, smallball team such MIA lead whole NBA in boxouts, while another twin tower team CLE lost rebounding battle to NYK. I have many questions to our coaching staff, but first question would be how to improve defensive rebounding. I put this conversation here, because I think this topic has been underrated and misunderstood. I think that if we want to compete on highest level whole team attitude, identity should change to play that disciplined, high effort team defense, become our new identity. There is no other guys who better represents this shift of identity than Anderson, Conley and NAW. I know their numbers dont impress, they are not elite defenders, but these guys fight in every possession. Inject this mentality in Edwards, Reid, MCD, Miller, Minott, Moore and MIN will be successful many years. Jaylen Clarke looks like a guy who can fight here as same tier of hustle guys.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:53 pm

minimus wrote:Sure, Towns deserves critique for poor defensive rebounding, but this is a system issue. We saw this when we played high wall two seasons ago, when Towns was more on perimeter. But we also saw it this season, even with Gobert addition and more conservative drop scheme that favours defensive rebounding we were awfully bad at rebounding as group. That is why this is a team issue, that cant be solved by bringing here one elite performer.

I think it's worth pointing out how this ebbed and flowed during the season.

First 21 games (with KAT): 33.9 defensive rebounds per game (out of 43.8)
Before trade deadline: 31.5 defensive rebounds per game (out of 39.9)
After deadline until return: 33.4 defensive rebounds per game (out of 42.5)
With Towns back in lineup: 34.5 defensive rebounds per game (out of 44.7)

I also think this was a major consideration in the moves we've made since last deadline. The only departing players who finished in the top half of the roster in defensive rebounding percentage was Nathan Knight (9th out of 20) and Jaylen Nowell (10th). The others were 12th (Prince), 16th (Russell), 17th (Rivers) and 20th (Forbes).

Troy Brown Jr.'s career DRB% would place him 7th on the team last year. Milton slots in at 13, but that's the best among the PGs on the team. Minutes were potentially opened for Josh Minott, who finished third on the team last year (second if you remove AJ Lawson's two-minute appearance). And we know about Miller's rebounding potential.

minimus
RealGM

Post#160 » by minimus » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:33 pm

The key to consistent defensive rebounding is effort, discipline, IQ and coaching. Twin tower CLE lost rebounding battle to NYK. An undersized MIA won two teams with huge frontcourts: MIL and NYK

Read on Twitter

Also MIA had a very hustle oriented backcourt, with multiple guys fighting for every possession. Also MIN was bottom-5 team in terms of boxouts in regular season

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/box-outs?SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=D&sort=BOX_OUTS

And I dare to say that Bam Adebayo despite being an undersized C, literally carried MIA on his back in Finals

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves