ImageImageImage

Around the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,679

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#21 » by TimberKat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:21 pm

Note30 wrote:Good deal for both teams. No idea why the Suns were in it, but pretty great deal for both teams Blazers and Bucks. Suns kinda got fleeced for no reason?

But yeah nuts.

It's a good deal for Suns to unload Ayton's max contract. Now they only have 3 Supermax and a bunch of good role players. For Blazers, it depends on what they will get back for Holiday and how much do you value Ayton
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,003

Post#22 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:20 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:Good deal for both teams. No idea why the Suns were in it, but pretty great deal for both teams Blazers and Bucks. Suns kinda got fleeced for no reason?

But yeah nuts.

It's a good deal for Suns to unload Ayton's max contract. Now they only have 3 Supermax and a bunch of good role players. For Blazers, it depends on what they will get back for Holiday and how much do you value Ayton

I just read 33 pages of Lillard trade comments from the general board. It was mind numbing. Most think Milwaukee did real well. I love Holiday and I still think Milwaukee did real well. Championship favorites IMO.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,679

Post#23 » by TimberKat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:58 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

But yeah nuts.

I just read 33 pages of Lillard trade comments from the general board. It was mind numbing. Most think Milwaukee did real well. I love Holiday and I still think Milwaukee did real well. Championship favorites IMO.

Yes, assume they stay healthy and hats off for small market team out maneuver Heats
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,629

Post#24 » by Note30 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:35 am

TimberKat wrote:

But yeah nuts.

Was Ayton really that bad that he got traded for Nurkic and Allen?

Or was it a purely financial move?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,803

Post#25 » by Calinks » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:57 am

I don't love Ayton. I also thought he was younger. 25 is not old by any means but he's really only 2-3 years younger than Towns and I think Towns is just a lot better. I know many would disagree but I think there is a big gap. If I was Portland I'd either want a more promising young player to build around or a better trade piece to kickstart my team around to contend with sooner. Ayton seems like he doesn't fit either one well. Maybe he's better than I think though.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,521

Post#26 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:22 am

Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

But yeah nuts.

Both.

He's not bad, but he's not worth anywhere near his contract. And there are some pretty serious questions about how serious about basketball he is.

Plus the Suns needed to break up his money into a number of roleplayers to fill in their roster.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,379

Post#27 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:19 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:It's a good deal for Suns to unload Ayton's max contract. Now they only have 3 Supermax and a bunch of good role players. For Blazers, it depends on what they will get back for Holiday and how much do you value Ayton

Both.

He's not bad, but he's not worth anywhere near his contract. And there are some pretty serious questions about how serious about basketball he is.

Plus the Suns needed to break up his money into a number of roleplayers to fill in their roster.

He's a lot like Towns in that he's not good enough to lead a good team unless you craft a team around his weaknesses, but he doesn't offer a perfect skill set to play as the third or fourth best player on a good team. I think he'll be great for Portland, helping along the young guards.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,228

Post#28 » by shrink » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter

What do they say? You can’t make this stuff up.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#29 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:57 pm

Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Both.

He's a lot like Towns in that he's not good enough to lead a good team unless you craft a team around his weaknesses, but he doesn't offer a perfect skill set to play as the third or fourth best player on a good team. I think he'll be great for Portland, helping along the young guards.

To me the gap between KAT and Ayton is HUGE.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,645

Post#30 » by Domejandro » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:22 pm

POR: Deandre Ayton, Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams III, Toumani Camara, 2024 GSW FRP (1-4 Protected), 2029 BOS FRP, 2029 MKE FRP, and 2028 and 2030 MKE FRP Swaps

OUT: Damian Lillard, Jusuf Nurkić, Nassir Little, and Keon Johnson

Follow this up with something like Malcolm Brogdon for Lonzo Ball, filler, Portland FRP returned, and seconds, and the assets keep stacking up. Great work by Portland.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 1, 2023 5:52 pm

I've seen speculation that Portland could now be the middle man that gets Harden to the Clippers.

All this late-offseason player movement is wild! I have to think that some of these teams could be affected on the court by all of the re-shuffling. Meanwhile, we're in training camp getting better.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,803

Post#32 » by Calinks » Sun Oct 1, 2023 6:41 pm

Love seeing the East power up. Portland might actually be solid this season though, they got a lot of talent, young so probably not reliable but they could pull an OKC and have a good season. Looks like Embiid isn't happy. Teams like the Heat and Sixers have to be salty because the Bucks and Celtics are poised to take a leap.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 1, 2023 6:59 pm

Calinks wrote:Love seeing the East power up. Portland might actually be solid this season though, they got a lot of talent, young so probably not reliable but they could pull an OKC and have a good season.

I'm guessing they'll be like Utah last year. However, Utah made the midseason shift leading into the lottery that I'm not sure teams will do as much this year.

The top 10-11 teams are stacked once again, with maybe only one or two tier breaks within. But then, a more significant tier break at 12, with Portland, Utah and Houston. All will be competitive, but probably not in a playoff sense.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#34 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 7:29 pm

Domejandro wrote:POR: Deandre Ayton, Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams III, Toumani Camara, 2024 GSW FRP (1-4 Protected), 2029 BOS FRP, 2029 MKE FRP, and 2028 and 2030 MKE FRP Swaps

Follow this up with something like Malcolm Brogdon for Lonzo Ball, filler, Portland FRP returned, and seconds, and the assets keep stacking up. Great work by Portland.

I would love the Wolves to trade for Brogdon.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,658

Post#35 » by jpatrick » Sun Oct 1, 2023 8:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:POR: Deandre Ayton, Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams III, Toumani Camara, 2024 GSW FRP (1-4 Protected), 2029 BOS FRP, 2029 MKE FRP, and 2028 and 2030 MKE FRP Swaps

I’d love Brogdon too. He’d be a great fit as a sixth man. But even if we had the assets, I see no way to make the money work unless we move Conley, which I don’t see happening.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#36 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:41 pm

jpatrick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I’d love Brogdon too. He’d be a great fit as a sixth man. But even if we had the assets, I see no way to make the money work unless we move Conley, which I don’t see happening.

I know we all love Conley. I'd trade him for Brogdon in a heartbeat.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I know we all love Conley. I'd trade him for Brogdon in a heartbeat.

I think that would be a foolish mistake.

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,239

Post#38 » by Neeva » Sun Oct 1, 2023 10:02 pm

Brogdon is overrated and has sucked ass for two straight playoffs in a row.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#39 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 10:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I know we all love Conley. I'd trade him for Brogdon in a heartbeat.

I think that would be a foolish mistake.

I disagree. I think if we could get Brogdon for Conley it would be foolish not to. Too sentimental.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 10:24 pm

Neeva wrote:Brogdon is overrated and has sucked ass for two straight playoffs in a row.

He's also been sensational when allowed to be the undisputed PG.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves