Around the NBA

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,384

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 1, 2023 10:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:Brogdon is overrated and has sucked ass for two straight playoffs in a row.

He's also been sensational when allowed to be the man.

So you're going to let him be "the man" ahead of Ant and KAT? Even more foolish.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,005

Post#42 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:Brogdon is overrated and has sucked ass for two straight playoffs in a row.

He's also been sensational when allowed to be the man.

So you're going to let him be "the man" ahead of Ant and KAT? Even more foolish.

The PG man is what I meant. I changed my prior post to being the undisputed PG.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#43 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:23 pm

NBA.com has Brogdon and Conley ranked similarly for this season for fantasy basketball. Brogdon at 111 and Conley at 122. Here are there respective write ups.

Malcolm Brogdon, BOS: Brogdon would rank much higher if it weren’t for injury concerns that ultimately squashed a potential trade to the Clippers, but he could see a role increase with Marcus Smart gone.

Mike Conley, MIN: Struggled for most of the year but put things together in March and April, averaging 15.2 points on 47/36/78 shooting, 7.6 assists and 1.4 steals.

They don't mention that Conley getting it together coincided with him coming to Minnesota. I like Conley. If anybody is reading into this that I don't like Conley they are reading me wrong. I'm just going with the younger Brogdon in making him my preference.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,384

Post#44 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:28 pm

If Brogdon was 2-3 year younger, I might consider it. But he isn't young. He turns 31 in December.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#45 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:36 pm

Klomp wrote:If Brogdon was 2-3 year younger, I might consider it. But he isn't young. He turns 31 in December.

5 years younger than Conley. I also like Brogdon being much bigger.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,630

Post#46 » by Note30 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 1:35 am

KGdaBom wrote:

He's also been sensational when allowed to be the undisputed PG.

If he was that sensational he wouldn't have been coming off the bench for Marcus Smart
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,658

Post#47 » by jpatrick » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:15 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:If Brogdon was 2-3 year younger, I might consider it. But he isn't young. He turns 31 in December.

I agree with much of what you’re saying. I long thought a player like Brogdon would be a nice fit next to Ant. High BBIQ, good size, knockdown shooter, good defense. And he is younger than Conley. The problem is that the NBA isn’t like a video game. People/personalities matter. From everything I’ve heard/read, Conley is kind of the connective tissue that is bringing the team together, which is critical given the strong and very diverse personalities on this team (Ant, KAT, Rudy, etc). Plus, he’s a good fit on the court with them as a guy who is happy doing whatever is called for on a given night, a glue guy.

I also don’t think the cost would be worthwhile. We really don’t have picks, would you be willing to attach Leonard Miller, Josh Minnott, and another pick swap to Conley?

If there was a way to make the deal at a reasonable cost, I’d do it. He’s a good fit on the team. But I don’t think giving up Conley plus assets makes us better.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#48 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:48 am

Note30 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

He's also been sensational when allowed to be the undisputed PG.

If he was that sensational he wouldn't have been coming off the bench for Marcus Smart

He was sensational in his prior stop IIRC. Marcus Smart was the NBA DPoY. I'd say he's pretty good. A lot of people think the Celtics took a wrong turn letting him go. Time will tell. I love Holiday.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#49 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:50 am

jpatrick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I agree with much of what you’re saying. I long thought a player like Brogdon would be a nice fit next to Ant. High BBIQ, good size, knockdown shooter, good defense. And he is younger than Conley. The problem is that the NBA isn’t like a video game. People/personalities matter. From everything I’ve heard/read, Conley is kind of the connective tissue that is bringing the team together, which is critical given the strong and very diverse personalities on this team (Ant, KAT, Rudy, etc). Plus, he’s a good fit on the court with them as a guy who is happy doing whatever is called for on a given night, a glue guy.

I also don’t think the cost would be worthwhile. We really don’t have picks, would you be willing to attach Leonard Miller, Josh Minnott, and another pick swap to Conley?

If there was a way to make the deal at a reasonable cost, I’d do it. He’s a good fit on the team. But I don’t think giving up Conley plus assets makes us better.

I was wanting to do Conley straight up for Brogdon. Portland might like getting the cap room.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,536

Post#50 » by younggunsmn » Mon Oct 2, 2023 5:56 am

I like Brogdon but I will take Conley 10/10 times over him.
More of what we need, a pure pass first PG, and less injury risk.
And I was super impressed with Conley's ability to navigate screens on defense last year, which is one of the most underrated and unappreciated aspects of guard play.

I think Portland will be able to turn Brogdon into at least one more 1st rounder, so I don't see us as having what they are looking for anyway.
We've already got a discount Brogdon type in Shake Milton.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#51 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:20 pm

younggunsmn wrote:I like Brogdon but I will take Conley 10/10 times over him.
And I was super impressed with Conley's ability to navigate screens on defense last year, which is one of the most underrated and unappreciated aspects of guard play.

I think Portland will be able to turn Brogdon into at least one more 1st rounder, so I don't see us as having what they are looking for anyway.

Brogdon is better than Shake. Is that what you meant by discount. Yes I think Portland can get a first for Brogdon and if they trade Time Lord they will get another first. So Holiday alone potentially got Portland 4 FRPs and the rest of the deal for dame was a FRP and 2 potentially valuable pick swaps.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,682

Post#52 » by TimberKat » Mon Oct 2, 2023 3:10 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Brogdon is better than Shake. Is that what you meant by discount. Yes I think Portland can get a first for Brogdon and if they trade Time Lord they will get another first. So Holiday alone potentially got Portland 4 FRPs and the rest of the deal for dame was a FRP and 2 potentially valuable pick swaps.

Given Dame's contract, Holiday is actually more attractive to some teams.I don't think BOS would give the same package for Dame.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#53 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 2, 2023 6:03 pm

TimberKat wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Given Dame's contract, Holiday is actually more attractive to some teams.I don't think BOS would give the same package for Dame.

Interesting. :o
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#54 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:58 am

Anyone seen rookie Bird and Magic battle in pre-season games? I imagine it's like Wembanyama vs Holmgren. It's about as exciting as pre-season gets. So far, both played well. I am surprised by how well Holmgren is playing after sitting out a year.
KATKlownFeet
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#55 » by KATKlownFeet » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Shake is a much better bargain than Brogdon's 20M deal, plus he's younger and I think he has some upside if given consistent minutes. Brogdon is definitely good, but he's an injury waiting to happen. I'm happy with Conley and Shake tandem. Plus, I don't want to trade away assets to get Brogdon.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#56 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:36 am

TimberKat wrote:Anyone seen rookie Bird and Magic battle in pre-season games? I imagine it's like Wembanyama vs Holmgren. It's about as exciting as pre-season gets. So far, both played well. I am surprised by how well Holmgren is playing after sitting out a year.

I was surprised by how well both of them played.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#57 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:41 am

KATKlownFeet wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Shake is a much better bargain than Brogdon's 20M deal, plus he's younger and I think he has some upside if given consistent minutes. Brogdon is definitely good, but he's an injury waiting to happen. I'm happy with Conley and Shake tandem. Plus, I don't want to trade away assets to get Brogdon.

I said nothing about trading for Brogdon in my post. I just said he is better than Shake. I don't think Brogdon is very much of an injury risk. Didn't he play most of the season last year. 67 regular season and 19 playoff games. He does have several seasons in the 50s. and a couple less. Yeah bit of an injury risk.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,755

Post#58 » by minimus » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:37 am

Read on Twitter

I like all Wemby and Holmgren hype. But I know one bigman who has been already shooting like this. But all serious I hope that Towns will keep silence (no more takes like I am the best bigman shooter) and operate like underdog. Just keep working, keep grinding.

Read on Twitter
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#59 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:17 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Anyone seen rookie Bird and Magic battle in pre-season games? I imagine it's like Wembanyama vs Holmgren. It's about as exciting as pre-season gets. So far, both played well. I am surprised by how well Holmgren is playing after sitting out a year.

I was surprised by how well both of them played.

I don't remember Wembanyama took any hook shots or turn around low post jumpers. I don't think anyone could stop his sky hook (if he develops one)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,805

Post#60 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:29 pm

I don't know if the Bird/Magic hype can ever be matched. Was watching Winning Time and it just really put into perspective how epic that time frame was. I know there are a couple of posters here old enough to have maybe been NBA watchers during that time, but I imagine it must have been crazy if you were a big basketball fan to see two stud players go to war in college, and then see that war escalate in the NBA. I can't really anything like that ever happening in my years watching the league, like no two players ever built up that kind of long lasting rivalry and were able to carry it over to compete for titles on the big stage. That's storybook stuff.

The NBA in general also just doesn't foster those kinds of animosities/feuds anymore. There are some heated rivalries but we rarely see any major back and fourth, usually one team or player, just continually dominates another. Even today, we kind of have Jokic and Embiid, but Jokic has been winning that pretty handily with multiple MVP's and playoffs success. KAT was in the mix at first but he's been totally blown out by both. LeBron doesn't have a true rival, Warriors just kind of dominated everyone in their heyday, etc.

Even KG and Duncan was really lopsided in Duncan's favor so yea, I guess there is potential for Chet and Wemby to be the next best thing, but I don't know if we will ever see anything on the level of Bird and Magic, that had to be insanely fun.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves