Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,001

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#41 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:26 pm

Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:For what it is worth, I could see Memphis trading Stephen Adams and a FRP to Portland for Robert Williams III. That said, if Memphis moves forward without a solid replacement for Stephen Adams, their season is definitely in serious jeopardy.

First twenty games of...

Marcus Smart / Derrick Rose
Desmond Bane / Luke Kennard / John Konchar
Ziaire Williams / David Roddy / Jake LaRavia
Jaren Jackson Jr. / Santi Aldama / Kelly Lofton Jr.
Xavier Tillman Sr. /

IR: Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke (might return around All-Star break)

Only reaction to that lineup:

I seem to be in a very small minority, but I don't think Tillman and Aldama are bad at all.

They are solid bench players, but relying on them for upwards of 60-65 minutes a game is definitely not ideal. The big issue is that Jaren Jackson Jr. has HUGE foul trouble issues, so the lack of depth is a serious problem.

(Not meaning to derail the Draft thread, just was giving my opinion on the problem in Memphis.)

Look at what Aldama has been doing since getting healthy and getting minutes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,374

Post#42 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:38 pm

andyhop wrote:
Klomp wrote:What do people think about this?

While I think it's possible, I do think it's somewhat noteworthy that no other "Gobert-style" big has been brought in. Reid and Miller fall more into the Towns mold, but I wonder if more bigs in that style are where we'll be looking now that we're starting to see Reid and Towns work better together.

Regardless, I'm looking at both UCLA big men this year. They are both currently mocked ahead of where we'll be picking, but in the modern drafts we've seen bigs drop.

I don't see the playing time for another big unless you are shipping one out, you have KAT,Naz and Rudy taking up 90 of the minutes at the 4 and 5. Miller is probably a 4/3 if not a small ball 5 in some line ups. And then you still have Garza who may or may not be an NBA player.

Gobert is the old one but he is only 31 so you would think he has a few years left in him.

Given the holes elsewhere it's hard to see how spending a useful pick on another 5 makes sense.

1. Because it's the identity of the team.
2. Because I think about every draft as more than what I need in that year and in that moment. That thinking is how you draft James Wiseman or Darko Milicic.
3. As I said, Reid, Miller and Towns are in a different category of big than Gobert. Drafting someone big means nothing about how I feel about any of them. It's more about Garza, who to this point has not yet been given a standard NBA contract here through two years.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,298

Post#43 » by andyhop » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:00 am

Klomp wrote:
andyhop wrote:
Klomp wrote:What do people think about this?

While I think it's possible, I do think it's somewhat noteworthy that no other "Gobert-style" big has been brought in. Reid and Miller fall more into the Towns mold, but I wonder if more bigs in that style are where we'll be looking now that we're starting to see Reid and Towns work better together.

Regardless, I'm looking at both UCLA big men this year. They are both currently mocked ahead of where we'll be picking, but in the modern drafts we've seen bigs drop.

I don't see the playing time for another big unless you are shipping one out, you have KAT,Naz and Rudy taking up 90 of the minutes at the 4 and 5. Miller is probably a 4/3 if not a small ball 5 in some line ups. And then you still have Garza who may or may not be an NBA player.

Gobert is the old one but he is only 31 so you would think he has a few years left in him.

Given the holes elsewhere it's hard to see how spending a useful pick on another 5 makes sense.

1. Because it's the identity of the team.
2. Because I think about every draft as more than what I need in that year and in that moment. That thinking is how you draft James Wiseman or Darko Milicic.
3. As I said, Reid, Miller and Towns are in a different category of big than Gobert. Drafting someone big means nothing about how I feel about any of them. It's more about Garza, who to this point has not yet been given a standard NBA contract here through two years.

Wiseman and Darko were examples of competing teams prioritising the future over the the present.

We have playing time available for a pg and or a combo guard, it makes much more sense to prioritise those positions rather than a big for Iowa in the draft.

If you need an emergency bench big just sign a vet
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,351

Post#44 » by Mattya » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Kylan Boswell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:52 pm

Mattya wrote:Kylan Boswell

As long as he doesn't rise too high, I love him as an option! And I think he fits the "year early" model the team looks for.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,950

Post#46 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:44 pm

Judah Mintz is someone I’ll be keeping an eye on for the backup PG spot.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,753

Post#47 » by minimus » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I want us to get someone like him
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,753

Post#48 » by minimus » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:17 pm

He reminds me Juancho. Would love to get him in 2nd round.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#49 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:48 pm

minimus wrote:

I've heard it would likely take a first round pick and our own FRP is likely to be too late.
However, Tankathon doesn't have him being taken in the first so maybe.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,238

Post#50 » by Neeva » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:10 pm

Why would Wolves want the next Jauncho though?
I think wolves should probably stick with one of the Kentucky guards, chances are a few of them will turn out to be good nba players going by past history.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#51 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:49 pm

Neeva wrote:Why would Wolves want the next Jauncho though?
I think wolves should probably stick with one of the Kentucky guards, chances are a few of them will turn out to be good nba players going by past history.

I have decided who I want in this draft. Not just any Kentucky guard. Dillingham specifically.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,351

Post#52 » by Mattya » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:54 pm

Dillingham will be a riser on mocks. He is just too good to be so low and has showing more passing than the “draft experts” believed. He is a no brained to trade up for.

I think we need to get one of Dillingham, Wagner, Boswell or Sheppard.

Zvonomir Ivisic in the second round would be the ideal development project for the next few years.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Post#53 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:11 pm

My only concern with Dillingham is his size.

6’1.5 in shoes, 176 pounds and a 6’2 wingspan.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:42 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:Kylan Boswell

As long as he doesn't rise too high, I love him as an option! And I think he fits the "year early" model the team looks for.

This breakdown sounds exactly like what we need from a future PG. Being in the back half of draft rankings right now means he shouldn't rise too high either.

Read on Twitter

Oh, did we mention that he's still 18 (until April) and in his second season at Arizona. This has Tim Connelly written all over it!

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#55 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:18 pm

Tankathon has Dillingham at 16 now. Has the Wolves selecting Oso Ighodaro a PF from Marquette at pick 30 Oso is the oldest player projected to go in the first round. Has us taking Juan Nunez an Iternational 6'4" PG at pick 34 and has Minimus's guy Tristan Da Silva going 40th.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#56 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:59 pm

I don't watch college, international or G League basketball so at this moment I know NOTHING about the draft. However, judging by what I see on Tankathon it looks incredibly weak. The guy they project going #1 Ron Holland a G League forward has way more negatives on his draft profile than positives. Same with the guy they have at #2 Isaiah Collier a PG out of USC.
I see that Superman has a son playing C for Indiana.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Post#57 » by shangrila » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:24 am

minimus wrote:

That short form is great. If he can defend I'd target him no question.

Hope he's not Juancho though. As fun as he was at times he was far too streaky and refused to set a solid screen.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#58 » by shangrila » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:I don't watch college, international or G League basketball so at this moment I know NOTHING about the draft. However, judging by what I see on Tankathon it looks incredibly weak. The guy they project going #1 Ron Holland a G League forward has way more negatives on his draft profile than positives. Same with the guy they have at #2 Isaiah Collier a PG out of USC.
I see that Superman has a son playing C for Indiana.

It's deep but not top heavy. Similar to a few years back when Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes were coming out. That year was considered weak up top but good quality overall.

I feel the same way about this draft. There isn't much difference between a guy like Holland or someone like Nikola Topic, so a lot of the draft is flat. That said, this is the kind of draft that any team with a good scouting department should feast on.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:48 am

Hypothetically, would it make sense for a team in our cap situation to trade down from our 1st into the second? Seconds aren’t guaranteed, and maybe we could pull a prospect or future pick out of it…

shangrila
RealGM

Post#60 » by shangrila » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:49 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I want us to get someone like him

For reference, he went 14th last year in a draft that was widely considered stronger than this year. So getting someone of this calibre with where we're picking is unlikely.

And right now there's not really anyone that fits this archetype specifically. Maybe Trey Alexander or Reed Sheppard?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves