ImageImageImage

Have RealGM Wolves fans become Elitists?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,024

Have RealGM Wolves fans become Elitists? 

Post#1 » by KGdaBom » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:25 am

We are 23-7 and it seems like for many of our posters that isn't good enough. If we don't win with a flawless game it's not good enough. I've seen our very best players and coach called idiots, clowns, selfish and many other extremely nasty names. Earlier this year many were saying a win is a win. Not seeing that any more. Not seeing much appreciation for our team with the 23-7 record.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Re: Have RealGM Wolves fans become Elitists? 

Post#2 » by theGreatRC » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:25 am

The Wolves fan in me 2 years ago would be just happy with the playoffs. The wolves fan in me this season thought we could contend for home court (top 4) seed..

The fan in me today sees that we can actually win a championship this season, which changes the perspective of how you view games.

Yeah, it's amazing that this team is sitting in 1st place and haven't lost back to back games, trust me..i've been through the Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Craig Smith, Gerald Green era and every era since then with false hope, so I would be happy with any win or any sign of potential from any player on this roster.

I think many Wolves fans see a real opportunity of this team competing for a championship, so we start to nitpick the bad habits, even if this team can win the bad games.

I think most of us see this team as the best roster the Wolves have ever had & want to make sure they do the right things to contend for a championship in June, so we start to get snobby even during the wins
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#3 » by Nick K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:28 am

KGdaBom wrote:We are 23-7 and it seems like for many of our posters that isn't good enough. If we don't win with a flawless game it's not good enough. I've seen our very best players and coach called idiots, clowns, selfish and many other extremely nasty names. Earlier this year many were saying a win is a win. Not seeing that any more. Not seeing much appreciation for our team with the 23-7 record.

It's just human nature. When you get a taste of something good it's never enough. Just part of being a sports fan I suppose.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#4 » by KGdaBom » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:29 am

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We are 23-7 and it seems like for many of our posters that isn't good enough. If we don't win with a flawless game it's not good enough. I've seen our very best players and coach called idiots, clowns, selfish and many other extremely nasty names. Earlier this year many were saying a win is a win. Not seeing that any more. Not seeing much appreciation for our team with the 23-7 record.

It's just human nature. When you get a taste of something good it's never enough. Just part of being a sports fan I suppose.

Hey everybody can fan how they want to fan. I personally find hateful comments about our players and coach a bit out of place when we are 23-7.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#5 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:35 am

I'm really happy about the season so far. Mike is great, Rudy back to DPOY level, Ant is improving as is Jaden. KAT change his game a bit and it take times but he is a much better defender than 2 years ago.
Overall, we got all to be happy. But sometimes we get pissed off as coach Finch was the last game. IF the coach is unhappy, as fan we can afford to be unhappy too.
What i find annoying is the recurrent complain about Rudy. He give 100% every night but obviously for some people here, it's never enough.....
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Post#6 » by shangrila » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:12 am

Nah, everyone is the same. You're just noticing it more.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,786

Post#7 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:23 am

There are three different things all coming together. The first is you can play badly and still win. Fans generally like to see their team play well. 24 turnovers against the Thunder followed by 22 against a Lukaless Mavs is not playing well. Second, when you get the record we have the playoffs are more than a goal, they are strong likelihood. I know there may be 52 games left before the playoffs and 20 something games left before the trade deadline, but it hard not to extrapolate what we see with how we will be. Granted playoff basketball is different, but offensive and defensive approaches working or not working now foreshadow the playoffs. Finally, there is the real sense of doom that Minnesotans have towards our sports teams. It just feels like that big injury or meltdown is just waiting for us. With that in mind, we want to see a big lead in the standings. Yet, we are only 2 games ahead of the 2 and 3 seeds. So even though our last loss was only loss 7, it felt like 2 because it was against OKC, and let Denver climb closer to us. We haven’t been the 1 seed in 20 years. We haven’t won a playoff series in 20 years. This matters to us more than it does for other franchises, so we want some emotional comfort that this is real. Winning ugly is better than losing ugly, but it isn’t very comforting.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,273

Post#8 » by shrink » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:29 pm

I see this mostly with coaches, but it can be applied to players. It’s Monday Morning Quarterbacking, and it’s more frequent now that we have higher expectations.

When coach or player is successful, nobody says anything. When a coach or player fails, people think they know what the issue was, and it’s not disprovable. For example, they may say “We’d have won if Finch went to a zone!” or “if Towns didn’t miss so many three’s!” Every one of our poster/experts could have a different idea, they could all think they are right, but we’ll never know because it didn’t happen. MMQ’s are undefeated, our team is only winning at close to 75%.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#9 » by Dewey » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:09 pm

Cart is waaaaay ahead of the horse here… we don’t have a legit backup PG, we are not real physical, and we winning lord of games missing key players. It’s a positive step, but it is not championship vibe either … IMO
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:27 pm

Dewey wrote:Cart is waaaaay ahead of the horse here… we don’t have a legit backup PG, we are not real physical, and we winning lord of games missing key players. It’s a positive step, but it is not championship vibe either … IMO

So if it isn't a championship vibe our players and coach deserve to be called clowns, idiots, selfish, stupid..........
Boston came within the smallest possible margin of ending Detroit's 28 game losing streak. Are they Clowns, Idiots, Selfish and Stupid?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#11 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:38 pm

Dewey wrote:Cart is waaaaay ahead of the horse here… we don’t have a legit backup PG, we are not real physical, and we winning lord of games missing key players. It’s a positive step, but it is not championship vibe either … IMO

The defense is usually very physical. That is why our loses to the Pels and 76ers happened. We got backed off by the refs and forced to play without that physicality. On offense we attack too much often in crowds. Our guys want the whistle so they initiate contact and rarely get it. As for winning games with key players missing, you don’t think GSW did the many years they won titles or were in the finals? You don’t think Lebron got any of that with Cleveland, or Miami, or LA? Good teams get those kind of breaks because bad teams (or even some really good ones,) don’t like the matchup and fear they will lose anyway, so they rest their star/s and take L. I agree on the backup PG, but that is hardly disqualifying because we are still in December and are the #1 seed. A buyout player or trade or both will likely fix that. If this was April and we didn’t have a backup PG I would be very worried.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#12 » by younggunsmn » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:29 pm

The only elitist here is you because you feel the need to call out your fellow posters because they aren't as positive as you.
You seemed to get it at one point that people have different perspectives and some people just expect more from their team,
and pointing out things that they think could help is a way to vent their frustration over things out of their control, which is a primary reason places like this exist in the first place.

Now you are back to trolling game threads as the sunshine police and infecting everything with toxic positivity.
If people step over the line it is up to the mods to take care of it.
Oh my word I can't believe someone used that vicious slur "clown" about something a player did.
You are also back to that other extremely annoying thing you do which is nitpick about mild pejoratives.

Also, I think you need a bit of a reality check.
It's a very long season and there are 6 months left until a winner is crowned.
Yes, we are 23-7, but we've caught some pretty good breaks along the way.
Are we really as good as that record?

We have won 11 games against teams missing a star player.
MIA without Butler
NOP without Zion (twice)
@GSW minus Curry (and Dray and Klay for 46 mins)
PHI without Embiid
@MEM without Ja Morant (twice)
@DAL without Kyrie
IND without Haliburton
LAL without Lebron
DAL without Kyrie and Doncic
In contrast we have played only 3 games without Ant and 1 without KAT.

We have 3 wins by single digits against teams with single digit win totals (CHA, SAS twice).
Yes we lost those games last year, those games should not have gone down to the wire, we did not play well.
We have 2 wins against lowly Utah by 10+.

We have 4 what I would consider high quality home wins
DEN, BOS, NYK, OKC
And 3 Quality road wins against full strength teams:
GSW, MIA, SAC

We have lost only one home game, against a quality team in Sacramento
We have 4 noncompetitive road losses against good teams (PHX, NO, PHI, OKC)
and 2 bad road losses against bad teams (TOR, ATL).

Perhaps you missed Finch's postgame tirade where he called his players selfish and said
"There are a lot of different ways to be immature"

A guy who has never made a 3 in 12 years chucking one early in the shot clock is being immature and hurting his team.
All 3 of our key players need to start valuing every possession more.

Yes it's absolutely wonderful that we are 23-7 and having a great season.
There has also been a lot of bad play, a lot of turnovers, and things that could be much better.
And it's no sin, as a fan, to keep wanting more.

I love enjoying a win as much and anybody, but there have also been quite a few wins this year that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Not as bad as that awful 3-0 Vikings game, but bad.
I don't think our execution and composure have matched our talent level a whole lot this season, and for us to consider ourselves a championship contender, I think that needs to change.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:35 am

youngguns you did really bother me calling Rudy a clown. You didn't say a thing he did was clownlike. You outright called him a clown and doubled down on it. I understand that you were caught up in the heat of the moment when you said it and probably didn't really mean it.

I don't buy that our team would be 23-7 even with schedule breaks if our players were selfish, idiots. I want our team to be even better too, but I'm not going to whine and bitch about them every time I see them do something that I deem less than perfect. I'm looking at the big picture and the big picture is really good.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#14 » by winforlose » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:youngguns you did really bother me calling Rudy a clown. You didn't say a thing he did was clownlike. You outright called him a clown and doubled down on it. I understand that you were caught up in the heat of the moment when you said it and probably didn't really mean it.

I don't buy that our team would be 23-7 even with schedule breaks if our players were selfish, idiots. I want our team to be even better too, but I'm not going to whine and bitch about them every time I see them do something that I deem less than perfect. I'm looking at the big picture and the big picture is really good.

KG, good teams can win with bad basketball. Finch has been saying for the past week we are playing bad basketball. There is nothing wrong with admitting that. Fans want to see guys play well, when they consistently don’t fans complain about it. You don’t have to like it, but you don’t need to start a thread calling them out for it either.

Do I like it when people say Ant is *** no. Do I think Ant can play like **** sometimes, of course. Making that distinction is important. But giving guys like Young the benefit of the doubt is also important. Let’s all enjoy the season and try to remember that we are all Wolves fans.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#15 » by KGdaBom » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:18 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:youngguns you did really bother me calling Rudy a clown. You didn't say a thing he did was clownlike. You outright called him a clown and doubled down on it. I understand that you were caught up in the heat of the moment when you said it and probably didn't really mean it.

KG, good teams can win with bad basketball. Finch has been saying for the past week we are playing bad basketball. There is nothing wrong with admitting that. Fans want to see guys play well, when they consistently don’t fans complain about it. You don’t have to like it, but you don’t need to start a thread calling them out for it either.

Do I like it when people say Ant is *** no. Do I think Ant can play like **** sometimes, of course. Making that distinction is important. But giving guys like Young the benefit of the doubt is also important. Let’s all enjoy the season and try to remember that we are all Wolves fans.

The basketball is not that bad or we wouldn't be winning. Less than optimal sure. All teams play less than optimal every game. In the end you are what your record says you are. Mavericks game yeah that was like playing the Pistons considering who they were missing so we got away with playing far less than optimally that game. Ant scored 44 that game on very high efficiency and he was called out for hunting points. I'll happily accept him hunting points every game where he scores 44 on extremely high efficiency.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#16 » by winforlose » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:24 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

The basketball is not that bad or we wouldn't be winning. Less than optimal sure. All teams play less than optimal every game. In the end you are what your record says you are. Mavericks game yeah that was like playing the Pistons considering who they were missing so we got away with playing far less than optimally that game. Ant scored 44 that game on very high efficiency and he was called out for hunting points. I'll happily accept him hunting points every game where he scores 44 on extremely high efficiency.

Yes it is, yes it can, and you have to admit 46 turnovers in 2 games is putrid. We lost to OKC because of our turnovers and we kept both a Lebron less Lakers and Luka and Kyrie less Mavs in the game the whole way. Tonight against LAL we are turning it over, KAT is having a dumpster fire of a game (earned every bit of that -20,) and we have a 4 point lead. You can play badly and still win if you are talented enough.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:27 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Yes it is, yes it can, and you have to admit 46 turnovers in 2 games is putrid. We lost to OKC because of our turnovers and we kept both a Lebron less Lakers and Luka and Kyrie less Mavs in the game the whole way. Tonight against LAL we are turning it over, KAT is having a dumpster fire of a game (earned every bit of that -20,) and we have a 4 point lead. You can play badly and still win if you are talented enough.

A game here and a game there you can play less than optimally and still win. In the long run you are what you're record says you are. We are 23-7. That's a pretty large sample size. It is who we are.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#18 » by winforlose » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:38 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The basketball is not that bad or we wouldn't be winning. Less than optimal sure. All teams play less than optimal every game. In the end you are what your record says you are. Mavericks game yeah that was like playing the Pistons considering who they were missing so we got away with playing far less than optimally that game. Ant scored 44 that game on very high efficiency and he was called out for hunting points. I'll happily accept him hunting points every game where he scores 44 on extremely high efficiency.

A game here and a game there you can play less than optimally and still win. In the long run you are what you're record says you are. We are 23-7. That's a pretty large sample size. It is who we are.

We are not talking about 30 games. We are talking about the really ugly ones. The one where GSW is missing Steph, Klay, and Dray and we barely win. There are few more ugly ones spread around, but those are the ones where people really talk badly about the Wolves. The rest is more about offensive struggles or trends that we need to clean up before the playoffs.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:45 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

We are not talking about 30 games. We are talking about the really ugly ones. The one where GSW is missing Steph, Klay, and Dray and we barely win. There are few more ugly ones spread around, but those are the ones where people really talk badly about the Wolves. The rest is more about offensive struggles or trends that we need to clean up before the playoffs.

We are who our record says we are. There will be ugly wins, huge comebacks, choke jobs. In the end we are who our record says we are.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,609

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:48 am

I don’t mind being critical or calling out bad play as you see it. I just don’t like the doomsday stuff, where people declare that we’re not real contenders or we won’t win a playoff series. It’s December, let’s enjoy having the best record in the west without putting so much pressure on it. Let’s worry about the playoffs at playoff time.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves