Ricky Rubio Retires from the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,709

Ricky Rubio Retires from the NBA 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 4, 2024 6:40 pm

I generally don't make threads for random topics, but I feel like Ricky Rubio deserves one. Might merge with Around the NBA, but I will probably keep it separate.

Read on Twitter

Ricky Rubio is one of the understated NBA "What If's", the endless wave of injuries really nuked his ability to develop, as a player. Watching Ricky individually anchor a competent defense as a Point-Guard in his rookie season was incredible, it was sad when the ankle injury took away that burst.

Hopefully Ricky can find some peace and move forward with his life after basketball.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Re: Ricky Rubio Retires from the NBA 

Post#2 » by shangrila » Thu Jan 4, 2024 7:24 pm

Sad to hear, he was a hell of a player and from what I've heard an even better human being.

Mental health issues are no joke so hopefully he can continue moving in a good direction and maybe get back to playing the sport he loves at some level in the future.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,636

Post#3 » by Note30 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 7:41 pm

Ricky is one one of my favorite players of all time. I was sad to hear about his mental health at the beginning of this season. I know my favorite Wolf should be KG, but it's not it's Ricky. After KG left he was the only bright spot in an otherwise meaningless void of Wolves basketball.

I was super angry when he was let go for **** Jeff Teague and when the Wolves org did him dirty again by trading him for Prince. It sucks the way this org treated him and I'm happy he had a better career with the Jazz and Phoenix.

It hurts to see, but I'm glad he's prioritizing his health over a career.

I wish him all the best he will always hold a spot as one of my favorite players.

Change this face, be happy, enjoy it!
moretins
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#4 » by moretins » Thu Jan 4, 2024 8:22 pm

The Rookie season of Ricky and his connection with Love from the beginning is unforgettable. I started following him in Spain when people began talking about him; he was just 14 years old and won the U16 European Championship. The feeling is that after that injury, he was never the same. Hopefully, we can still enjoy him, at least in Spain.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,267

Post#5 » by shrink » Thu Jan 4, 2024 8:41 pm

If he ever decides to have a position in the NBA, I hope he will consider a special assistant role here. Ant loves him for his mentorship, and the fans love him for all his years with us.

At a minimum, I hope we have a Ricky Rubio night, so he can be honored for all he did for our foresaken franchise.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,781

Post#6 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 4, 2024 8:44 pm

shrink wrote:If he ever decides to have a position in the NBA, I hope he will consider a special assistant role here. Ant loves him for his mentorship, and the fans love him for all his years with us.

At a minimum, I hope we have a Ricky Rubio night, so he can be honored for all he did for our foresaken franchise.

I wonder where he will choose to live. I would expect if his interest in basketball continued it would be in euro league. Maybe as a coach or FO guy, but that is with no specific knowledge at all.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,539

Post#7 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Jan 4, 2024 9:23 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:If he ever decides to have a position in the NBA, I hope he will consider a special assistant role here. Ant loves him for his mentorship, and the fans love him for all his years with us.

I wonder where he will choose to live. I would expect if his interest in basketball continued it would be in euro league. Maybe as a coach or FO guy, but that is with no specific knowledge at all.

It sounds like Spain with his wife and son.

Woj says if he ever decides to play again, it'll be for Spain.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,421

Post#8 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 5, 2024 12:01 am

He is the closest thing not named Kevin Garnett that we have had to someone who deserves a jersey retirement for what they brought the franchise on the court.

Makes me think back to the however many (nine?) dedicated Rubio threads we had here on the Wolves board over the years.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,709

Post#9 » by Domejandro » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:16 am

I know some might be resistant to it because injuries nuked his ability to become a star, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ricky gets his number retired in Minnesota, eventually. When looking at Minnesota Timberwolves history post-Garnett, Ricky Rubio has been the collective tissue throughout a variety of eras. From the Kevin Love era, to the trade for Andrew Wiggins, the return of Kevin Garnett, the drafting of Karl-Anthony Towns, the beginning of the Thibodeau era, and finally shepherding Anthony Edwards’ rookie season, Ricky has been an exceptionally important figure in Minnesota Timberwolves history.

Not confident that it will happen, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Definitely not until after Kevin Garnett’s jersey retirement (and Flip), though.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Post#10 » by shangrila » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:42 am

Domejandro wrote:I know some might be resistant to it because injuries nuked his ability to become a star, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ricky gets his number retired in Minnesota, eventually. When looking at Minnesota Timberwolves history post-Garnett, Ricky Rubio has been the collective tissue throughout a variety of eras. From the Kevin Love era, to the trade for Andrew Wiggins, the return of Kevin Garnett, the drafting of Karl-Anthony Towns, the beginning of the Thibodeau era, and finally shepherding Anthony Edwards’ rookie season, Ricky has been an exceptionally important figure in Minnesota Timberwolves history.

Not confident that it will happen, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Definitely not until after Kevin Garnett’s jersey retirement (and Flip), though.

Nah.

I like Rubio but he didn't do enough to have his number retired. And honestly, that stuff gets thrown around too often in general. Number retirements should be for the greats and specifically for what they do for that franchise.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,607

Post#11 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:52 pm

I love Ricky, but the eras he played with the Wolves weren't significant enough to retire his jersey. He never played a playoff game as a Wolf.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,756

Post#12 » by minimus » Fri Jan 5, 2024 4:33 pm

Ricky was the reason why I am now rooting for MIN. Before Jokic, before Doncic if there was Rubio in MIN... I feel sad and old now...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves