Minnesota at Washington, 6 pm

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Re: Minnesota at Washington, 6 pm 

Post#101 » by TimberKat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:48 am

winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:We pick it up in the 2nd half for the win but still only 15 points from the bench. 41 points from their bench. Kat, Ant and Gobert really came through.

Kat 27 pts on 11 of 24. Ant with 38 on 11 of 28 and Rudy had 19 and 16 boards.

7 turnovers for us against 21 for them. Huge! Some good defensive moments but still not enough of them.

Jonny K is getting better on the post game interviews. Good for him!

AAARRROOOOOO!!!

NAW in the starting lineup and Naz power outage really cripples the bench. JMAC and Shake aren’t exactly known for microwave scoring, and Kyle isn’t known for any kind of scoring this year.

That I think is still the biggest problem. For some reason, Naz is a little rushed today and not as balance as he normally is when taking the shots.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 486

Post#102 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:51 am

Not very sexy but a win is a win. Ant and Rudy play well. Kat finally find some shoot. But we really need to improve the team. Tomorrow will be more tough specially if Mike still don’t play.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 431

Post#103 » by Guest84 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:16 am

Does anybody still want Tyus or Wright?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,654

Post#104 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:35 am

Guest84 wrote:Does anybody still want Tyus or Wright?

Yes. Tyus shot poorly, but still had 6 assists, 0 turnovers, and defended Jaden who is almost a foot taller, and limited Jaden to 13 points on 11 shots.
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,152

Post#105 » by m2002brian » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:35 am

Hell yes. Tyus would be welcome.

6 ast 0 to

Better shooter than KA, better passer, worse defender.

Naw stays on the bench and moves to backup sg
When Mike sits, an actual pg can start. Naw and jmac can fight for backup duties with KA.
BLUEGREENRED
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,974

Post#106 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am

If Tyus comes cheap I would be THRILLED. It's all about what he costs us.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 373

Post#107 » by gandlogo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:20 pm

Another clunker. This team is so clearly not as good as its record and was helped early in the season by playing teams without their stars. The Thunder have assets to improve an already good team. Nugs and Clippers are deep, strong, and filled with playoff veterans. The Suns are finally healthy and starting to make a push. Pels and Kings are threats. Even whiny little Luka might be able to power a first-round upset. Most teams improve throughout the year, yet the Wolves are heading the other direction. Maybe the Bucks had the right idea.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,181

Post#108 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:56 pm

gandlogo wrote:Another clunker. This team is so clearly not as good as its record and was helped early in the season by playing teams without their stars. The Thunder have assets to improve an already good team. Nugs and Clippers are deep, strong, and filled with playoff veterans. The Suns are finally healthy and starting to make a push. Pels and Kings are threats. Even whiny little Luka might be able to power a first-round upset. Most teams improve throughout the year, yet the Wolves are heading the other direction. Maybe the Bucks had the right idea.

The coach isn't going to fix the problems. We have the record we do because of the coach. We aren't a Top 5 team in pure talent. We don't have a Top 5-10 player in the league like DEN/OKC/LAC/PHI/PHX/BOS.

But yeah, blame the coach for us not having a Superstar, something all the teams who project better in the post-season have.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Post#109 » by TimberKat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Another clunker. This team is so clearly not as good as its record and was helped early in the season by playing teams without their stars. The Thunder have assets to improve an already good team. Nugs and Clippers are deep, strong, and filled with playoff veterans. The Suns are finally healthy and starting to make a push. Pels and Kings are threats. Even whiny little Luka might be able to power a first-round upset. Most teams improve throughout the year, yet the Wolves are heading the other direction. Maybe the Bucks had the right idea.

The coach isn't going to fix the problems. We have the record we do because of the coach. We aren't a Top 5 team in pure talent. We don't have a Top 5-10 player in the league like DEN/OKC/LAC/PHI/PHX/BOS.

But yeah, blame the coach for us not having a Superstar, something all the teams who project better in the post-season have.

I blame realgm. Every time I propose a Towns for Davis, KD or Kawhi trade, someone shot it down :D The Ben Wallace lead DET team won a championship, so it can be done. Granted we need both internal player improvements and a good deadline trade. Maybe we are just missing a guy like Draymond Green aka Rasheed 2.0 :D
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#110 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:58 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I blame realgm. Every time I propose a Towns for Davis, KD or Kawhi trade, someone shot it down :D The Ben Wallace lead DET team won a championship, so it can be done. Granted we need both internal player improvements and a good deadline trade. Maybe we are just missing a guy like Draymond Green aka Rasheed 2.0 :D

+1

People need to be realistic.

If Edwards continue's his post-season dominance and plays like Prime Dwyane Wade, then Minnesota has a chance to win a Championship. The issues then become can KAT continue to improve as a post-season player, limit his offensive and defensive fouls and make his shots when we need him to. And then with Gobert/Conley, can they simply be healthy and manage emotions/tempo of the team.

But, if Edwards isn't the best player in a series or a 1B in the series to Jokic/Kawhi/KD/AD/LeBron/SGA, then it is going to be difficult to win a series against the team who has the best player in the series.

People need to temper their expectations. We are **** great. Best season in 20 years, and people are calling for the coach?

I bet these are the same types of people who wanted Kirk Cousins traded the past 4 seasons and then he gets injured and realize "Hey, Maybe Cousins isn't the problem, but he is the solution? Yeah, let's bring him back."

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
winforlose
General Manager

Post#111 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:02 pm

Colbinii wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

+1

If Edwards continue's his post-season dominance and plays like Prime Dwyane Wade, then Minnesota has a chance to win a Championship. The issues then become can KAT continue to improve as a post-season player, limit his offensive and defensive fouls and make his shots when we need him to. And then with Gobert/Conley, can they simply be healthy and manage emotions/tempo of the team.

But, if Edwards isn't the best player in a series or a 1B in the series to Jokic/Kawhi/KD/AD/LeBron/SGA, then it is going to be difficult to win a series against the team who has the best player in the series.

People need to temper their expectations. We are **** great. Best season in 20 years, and people are calling for the coach?

I bet these are the same types of people who wanted Kirk Cousins traded the past 4 seasons and then he gets injured and realize "Hey, Maybe Cousins isn't the problem, but he is the solution? Yeah, let's bring him back."

Basketball aside don’t be trying to defend Kirk Cousins. Your point is that Josh Dobbs, Nick Mullens, and a rookie Jaren Hall don’t add up to a starting QB, well of course not. Dobbs and Mullens have losing records when starting and Hall had like 2 games 6 weeks apart and got pulled in one half. Cousins was immobile in a game that is increasingly focused on mobile quarterbacks. Cousins was gutless in a game that usually requires taking risks, (see the playoff loss to the giants where on a 4th and 10 with the game on the line he checks down.) Cousins held the ball too long all the time, and was anything but accurate (his numbers were inflated by having excellent wide receivers like Jefferson, Thielen, Diggs, ect…) Cousins was massively overpaid and his salary was a big part of the reason we were always so tight for money in the O line and secondary. I could go on and on about how much I hate Cousins.

As for tempering expectations, we are doing what the Vikings did. We have weapons at every position, but are paper thin at PG (in the Vikings case QB,) so when our PG is unavailable for minutes or quarters we suck. Ant isn’t ready and we need to accept that. But that also means we need an alternative to Ant rather than trying to rush it and lose games in a very tight window where seeding matters.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#112 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 pm

winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I blame realgm. Every time I propose a Towns for Davis, KD or Kawhi trade, someone shot it down :D The Ben Wallace lead DET team won a championship, so it can be done. Granted we need both internal player improvements and a good deadline trade. Maybe we are just missing a guy like Draymond Green aka Rasheed 2.0 :D

+1

Basketball aside don’t be trying to defend Kirk Cousins. Your point is that Josh Dobbs, Nick Mullens, and a rookie Jaren Hall don’t add up to a starting QB, well of course not. Dobbs and Mullens have losing records when starting and Hall had like 2 games 6 weeks apart and got pulled in one half. Cousins was immobile in a game that is increasingly focused on mobile quarterbacks. Cousins was gutless in a game that usually requires taking risks, (see the playoff loss to the giants where on a 4th and 10 with the game on the line he checks down.) Cousins held the ball too long all the time, and was anything but accurate (his numbers were inflated by having excellent wide receivers like Jefferson, Thielen, Diggs, ect…) Cousins was massively overpaid and his salary was a big part of the reason we were always so tight for money in the O line and secondary. I could go on and on about how much I hate Cousins.

Yeah but you are just being emotionally driven, which is par for the course for you typically. Cousins was a Top 15 QB for the duration of his time in Minnesota. He was in the lower end of that Top 15 [Typically 10-15] but the point remains that he was a good enough QB where the team could win with him, not in spite of him.

You're also completely ignoring and neglecting how good he has been during specific stretches and seasons, notably this year.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,803

Post#113 » by Clav » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:21 pm

Another storyline here - This win over Washington led to the Wiz removing Unseld from coaching and promoting another guy. Unseld is now in the FO.

Have to say the Wizards made this tougher than should have been, I feel like the early timeout was to send a message to the guys and they did respond, but too many easy possessions for the wiz. Luckily they tightened up the screws in the final frame and made it hard for Washington to score.

But keep the positives here, road wins are hard to come by no matter what. BKN has not been great lately, even if they beat LA recently, they just flew home from the WC so this could be a trap game for them.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,234

Post#114 » by Neeva » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 pm

I see the Connelly and Rudy trade haters are starting to come out. A nice win streak will make them disappear again.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#115 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:11 pm

winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I blame realgm. Every time I propose a Towns for Davis, KD or Kawhi trade, someone shot it down :D The Ben Wallace lead DET team won a championship, so it can be done. Granted we need both internal player improvements and a good deadline trade. Maybe we are just missing a guy like Draymond Green aka Rasheed 2.0 :D

+1

As for tempering expectations, we are doing what the Vikings did. We have weapons at every position, but are paper thin at PG (in the Vikings case QB,) so when our PG is unavailable for minutes or quarters we suck. Ant isn’t ready and we need to accept that. But that also means we need an alternative to Ant rather than trying to rush it and lose games in a very tight window where seeding matters.

I want to go on record that Cousins is a very good QB.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#116 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
+1

Yeah but you are just being emotionally driven, which is par for the course for you typically. Cousins was a Top 15 QB for the duration of his time in Minnesota. He was in the lower end of that Top 15 [Typically 10-15] but the point remains that he was a good enough QB where the team could win with him, not in spite of him.

You're also completely ignoring and neglecting how good he has been during specific stretches and seasons, notably this year.

Emotionally driven? I guess I imagined how many playoff games he won (oh wait we didn’t make the playoffs most of the years we had Cousins.) I just imagined that we went from a NFC championship game that we blew badly (Case Keenum year,) to never getting there again. I could go on and on, but just like KAT was judged by his teams success level as the guy so is Cousins. You want me to give Kirk props for being a paper QB and having great numbers, props to him. You want to talk about winning football then we can get serious.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#117 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
+1

A very good QB with a losing record on national tv, a history of checking down, not winning the division, and being massively overpaid relative to his actual accomplishments. Cousins is the Andrew Wiggins of football.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#118 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:47 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

A very good QB with a losing record on national tv, a history of checking down, not winning the division, and being massively overpaid relative to his actual accomplishments. Cousins is the Andrew Wiggins of football.

To me all you just said is Blah, blah, blah. Everything that has ever gone wrong with the Vikings and world peace is Cousins fault. Cousins never lost a game. He never won a game. No QB or any other individual player has ever won or lost a game. Teams do that.

I saw him play. He was very good. Jefferson wants him back. His career and legacy ride on Cousins returning. If Cousins doesn't return I expect Jefferson to look for a way out. The Vikings want them both back. If we don't keep them it will be a big loss.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#119 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:59 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I want to go on record that Cousins is a very good QB.

To me all you just said is Blah, blah, blah. Everything that has ever gone wrong with the Vikings and world peace is Cousins fault. Cousins never lost a game. He never won a game. No QB or any other individual player has ever won or lost a game. Teams do that.

I saw him play. He was very good. Jefferson wants him back. His career and legacy ride on Cousins returning. If Cousins doesn't return I expect Jefferson to look for a way out. The Vikings want them both back. If we don't keep them it will be a big loss.

Jefferson want us not to tank, big difference. If all I say is blah blah blah, to you then you obviously cannot have this discussion with me.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#120 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:11 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Jefferson want us not to tank, big difference. If all I say is blah blah blah, to you then you obviously cannot have this discussion with me.

Your words about Cousins to me looked like meaningless drivel. You had nothing to say about his actual skill. So yes we can't have this discussion. I wasn't just going to let your bad mouthing of Cousins go unchallenged.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves