ImageImageImage

Connelly gets his guard he had in DEN! (not Bones...yet)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,655

Re: Connelly gets his guard he had in DEN! (not Bones...yet) 

Post#121 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:33 pm

wolves_89 wrote:One thing I'm curious about is whether the Wolves will push to extend Conley and/or Morris. It would be great to get at least one of them locked in for next season before they hit free agency.

I think there is a 100% chance they will try to bring back Mike, Monte, Kyle, and JMAC.

Kyle will have full bird rights and will probably get a 2 for 20 with a team option/ non guaranteed 2nd year. We will likely trade him at the deadline. He gets his bird rights and is happy, we get 10 million (maybe a little more or less,) in salary to move next year to improve around the margins or compensate for an injury. Not easily done in the 2nd apron, but Kyle’s salary slot is how you do it.

Monte will probably be a prove it deal because he is not 100% yet and will need to learn the Wolves scheme and players. His playoff performance will help increase or decrease his value depending, but being absent for a half a contract year hurt him. Plus I doubt he wants to walk away from his bird rights, or a chance to start for a contender.

Mike has said he doesn’t want to move his family again. He seems to like it here, and he has a chance to compete for a ring/s which is a big deal to him at this stage of his career.

JMAC is a good 3rd string and will probably be cheap as his size and defensive limitations will lower his value to other teams. If any player was to leave it would be JMAC, IMO at least.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,974

Post#122 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:58 pm

Danimals wrote:When flipping coins, each flip represents an independent event. So the prior flips have no impact on subsequent flips, no matter the time period of time.

Shooting baskets across a specific period of time in a game are not independent events due to the carry over effects of psyche, fatigue, rhythm, and flow. This is how people get “hot” shooting. However, this is not predictable or stable from time period to time period.

It’s a better process, that will give better results to hunt the best shots, rather than to hunt the “hot hand.”

If the HOT HAND has no predictive value regarding upcoming shots it's worthless. After the game you can look at the results and anybody who shot over 60% had hot hands, but the game is over and that information does you no good.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#123 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:06 pm

W4L Folklore agrees with you on hot/cold hands. Shrink agrees with me. Having Folklore agree with you is almost absolute proof you are wrong and having Shrink agree with me is almost absolute proof I am right.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#124 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:W4L Folklore agrees with you on hot/cold hands. Shrink agrees with me. Having Folklore agree with you is almost absolute proof you are wrong and having Shrink agree with me is almost absolute proof I am right.

Shrink is definitely a smart guy, not gonna lie. I just didn’t know you worship him as a deity. Because if you don’t worship Shrink you should know that he is a human and is not perfect. He can know a great many things and be a cap genius and just be wrong about something. If you do decide to worship Shrink, I recommend against a shrine with a lock of his hair. People tend to look at you funny if they find it ;)
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,567

Post#125 » by Domejandro » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:17 pm

If I am the subject of the next rendition of Thirteen Reasons Why, I am putting the RealGM Minnesota Timberwolves forum “Hot Hand” debate as all thirteen of my reasons.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#126 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:18 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:W4L Folklore agrees with you on hot/cold hands. Shrink agrees with me. Having Folklore agree with you is almost absolute proof you are wrong and having Shrink agree with me is almost absolute proof I am right.

Shrink is definitely a smart guy, not gonna lie. I just didn’t know you worship him as a deity. Because if you don’t worship Shrink you should know that he is a human and is not perfect. He can know a great many things and be a cap genius and just be wrong about something. If you do decide to worship Shrink, I recommend against a shrine with a lock of his hair. People tend to look at you funny if they find it ;)

That is disgusting to say. I don't worship any human. You know that it is a very black mark against you when Folklore agrees with you. Don't try to deny that. When Shrink agrees with somebody it is a very strong indication they are correct. Don't try to deny that.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#127 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 pm

Domejandro wrote:If I am the subject of the next rendition of Thirteen Reasons Why, I am putting the RealGM Minnesota Timberwolves forum “Hot Hand” debate as all thirteen of my reasons.

I love this comment. That was awesome.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#128 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

That is disgusting to say. I don't worship any human. You know that it is a very black mark against you when Folklore agrees with you. Don't try to deny that. When Shrink agrees with somebody it is a very strong indication they are correct. Don't try to deny that.

You and Folklore should kiss and make up. We’re all fans and friends here (well most of us.) Shrink has an opinion, you have an opinion, I have an opinion shared by almost everyone including the head coach and lead announcer for the Timberwolves. It is also shared by Ant, KAT, Mike Conley, and a ton of other NBA players who talk about the hot hand. But as long as you have Shrink that totally makes your point ;).
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#129 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:30 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You and Folklore should kiss and make up. We’re all fans and friends here (well most of us.) Shrink has an opinion, you have an opinion, I have an opinion shared by almost everyone including the head coach and lead announcer for the Timberwolves. It is also shared by Ant, KAT, Mike Conley, and a ton of other NBA players who talk about the hot hand. But as long as you have Shrink that totally makes your point ;).

Folklore is a complete and total troll. He's one of a very select group I have on iggy. You can talk about hot hands all you want whether you're a coach, player, ball boy, sports psychologist, players mom, girlfriend, wife etc... It's a myth. Lots of people believe in myths. If it doesn't have predictive value it is worthless. I'm defining hot hand as any player who has made 3 shots in a row or 3 out of 4. Cold hand will have the reverse definition. I will then track their next 4 shots to see if they make or miss 3 again. If they do it will support your side. If they don't it will support mine. We will see who gets more support. This will be my little experiment. If you see a person with a hot or cold hand please point it out to me so I can track it. Don't wait until after the game and act like anybody shooting good supports your side. That is not the way it works. To be of any value It has to have predictive value on games in progress.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#130 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:36 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:That is disgusting to say. I don't worship any human. You know that it is a very black mark against you when Folklore agrees with you. Don't try to deny that. When Shrink agrees with somebody it is a very strong indication they are correct. Don't try to deny that.

Folklore is a complete and total troll. He's one of a very select group I have on iggy. You can talk about hot hands all you want whether you're a coach, player, ball boy, sports psychologist, players mom, girlfriend, wife etc... If it doesn't have predictive value it is worthless. I'm defining hot hand as any player who has made 3 shots in a row or 3 out of 4. Cold hand will have the reverse definition. I will then track their next 4 shots to see if they make or miss 3 again. If they do it will support your side. If they don't it will support mine. We will see who gets more support. This will be my little experiment. If you see a person with a hot or cold hand please point it out to me so I can track it. Don't wait until after the game and act like anybody shooting good supports your side. That is not the way it works. To be of any value It has to have predictive value on games in progress.

Luka is on a heater right now.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#131 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Folklore is a complete and total troll. He's one of a very select group I have on iggy. You can talk about hot hands all you want whether you're a coach, player, ball boy, sports psychologist, players mom, girlfriend, wife etc... If it doesn't have predictive value it is worthless. I'm defining hot hand as any player who has made 3 shots in a row or 3 out of 4. Cold hand will have the reverse definition. I will then track their next 4 shots to see if they make or miss 3 again. If they do it will support your side. If they don't it will support mine. We will see who gets more support. This will be my little experiment. If you see a person with a hot or cold hand please point it out to me so I can track it. Don't wait until after the game and act like anybody shooting good supports your side. That is not the way it works. To be of any value It has to have predictive value on games in progress.

Doncic or Garza? Is either one playing right now? Do hot or cold hands carry over from one game to the next?
OK at the time I looked Doncic was 6-7. Let's see how my experiment works out.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#132 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Folklore is a complete and total troll. He's one of a very select group I have on iggy. You can talk about hot hands all you want whether you're a coach, player, ball boy, sports psychologist, players mom, girlfriend, wife etc... If it doesn't have predictive value it is worthless. I'm defining hot hand as any player who has made 3 shots in a row or 3 out of 4. Cold hand will have the reverse definition. I will then track their next 4 shots to see if they make or miss 3 again. If they do it will support your side. If they don't it will support mine. We will see who gets more support. This will be my little experiment. If you see a person with a hot or cold hand please point it out to me so I can track it. Don't wait until after the game and act like anybody shooting good supports your side. That is not the way it works. To be of any value It has to have predictive value on games in progress.

Doncic or Garza? Is either one playing right now? Do hot or cold hands carry over from one game to the next?

Doncic they are crushing OKC right now. 47 to 30 right now. NBA TV showing it nationally
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#133 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:41 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Doncic they are crushing OKC right now. 47 to 30 right now.

I appreciate the input. I intended to just do this for players in Wolves games, but given the chance I will do it for other games as well. Gafford's hands are also hot as he has gone 4-5, but he never takes a shot unless it's a dunk. Joe and Chet Holmgren have cold hands. 2-6 and 0-3 respectively. I'll follow up on them as well.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#134 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:42 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Doncic or Garza? Is either one playing right now? Do hot or cold hands carry over from one game to the next?

I appreciate the input. I intended to just do this for players in Wolves games, but given the chance I will do it for other games as well.

My bad split focus as I watch the game. Luka hit a 3 they called a 2 so it might go back to 48. Either way he is 6 of 7 and 3 of 4 (maybe 4 of 5) from deep. This looks like a hot hand game for Luka. But, he is passing so well he has 4 alley oops in the first quarter and should have 3 more assists for pass aheads.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#135 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:44 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I appreciate the input. I intended to just do this for players in Wolves games, but given the chance I will do it for other games as well.

My bad split focus as I watch the game. Luka hit a 3 they called a 2 so it might go back to 48. Either way he is 6 of 7 and 3 of 4 (maybe 4 of 5) from deep. This looks like a hot hand game for Luka. But, he is passing so well he has 4 alley oops in the first quarter and should have 3 more assists for pass aheads.

Holmgren who was 0-3 just made his next shot. Looking good for my side on him. All the players I was tracking have exited the game.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#136 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I appreciate the input. I intended to just do this for players in Wolves games, but given the chance I will do it for other games as well.

Holmgren who was 0-3 just made his next shot. Looking good for my side on him. All the players I was tracking have exited the game.

You do know cold hands can heat up and hot hands can go cold right? We covered this earlier in the year. Chet could start cold and heat up, or he could stay cold.

Edit to update: did you see that make by THJ. That is a pure confidence shot. He hit the opposite corner 3 and felt better about shooting another. Basketball is more than shot mechanics and luck. Confidence plays a huge role, as does momentum of the team.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#137 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 pm

Tim Hardaway is 3-4. I will now start tracking him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#138 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:49 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You do know cold hands can heat up and hot hands can go cold right? We covered this earlier in the year. Chet could start cold and heat up, or he could stay cold.

Making excuses already I see. Sure hot hands can go cold and cold hands can get hot, but that supports my side that it is inconsistent and unreliable. In other words a MYTH.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#139 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Holmgren who was 0-3 just made his next shot. Looking good for my side on him. All the players I was tracking have exited the game.

Making excuses already I see. Sure hot hands can go cold and cold hands can get hot, but that supports my side that it is inconsistent and unreliable. In other words a MYTH.

Not an excuse or inaccurate. I am being consistent and truthful in talking about this. Keegan Murray hit 11 of 12 but then missed a couple after. It happens. Mike hit 6 in a row and missed 1. The predictive value is an increased likelihood of making the next shot which is why guys feed them the ball and let the go to work.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#140 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:53 pm

Chet Holmgren just made his second shot in a row now. So chalk that one up for my side. If he makes one of his next two he will have a hot hand. I will then start tracking him for that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves