ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,238

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#41 » by Neeva » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:36 pm

We need a solid shooting 9th man, Slowmo is NOT that.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#42 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:37 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Knicks Acquire Alec Burks From Pistons For Quentin Grimes - that is a huge price for Burks. Wonder if they are bidding with Twolves

It turned out to be for both Burks and Bogdanovic.

That makes a lot more sense but really sucked for us. I don't know if I could keep watching KA with the ball in the corner and trying to fake a drive with the defender 5 feet away from him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,219

Post#43 » by shrink » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:38 pm

Neeva wrote:We need a solid shooting 9th man, Slowmo is NOT that.

There sure are a lot of ninth men getting traded so far!
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,637

Post#44 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:40 pm

shrink wrote:

How it feels watching all these good players get traded for absolute garbage.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,238

Post#45 » by Neeva » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:41 pm

shrink wrote:

Yea it’s a trade deadline for bench pieces , but at least no opposing contenders in the west are really improving themselves too much . gafford is overrated, hayward is made of glass etc. YET anyway.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#46 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:41 pm

On a positive note, thank goodness that Minnesota traded for Monte Morris yesterday, rather than waiting. Detroit would have traded him for a half-used roll of toilet paper to a random team, by now.
shrink
RealGM

Post#47 » by shrink » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:43 pm

I am not optimistic for another move, but we should keep an eye out for a 2:59 trade of Wendell Moore Jr.

Jon Krawcinski says that the owners aren’t factoring in Mike Conley’s bonus, and if it hits, they will gladly pay because we made the finals. Personally, I think that’s wasteful, when a little cash up front to move WMJ could keep us under the lux, regardless of whether Conley’s bonus hits.

The best landing spot for WMJ is a rebuilding team, where cap space won’t matter next year, and most importantly - has the roster space (and mechanism) to add him for cap space. With all of these tiny trades everywhere, we might not know until the end of the deadline which teams have open roster spots.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,519

Post#48 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:44 pm

Domejandro wrote:I would not underrate that Gordon Hayward pickup, I think that is an insanely good deal for Oklahoma City. They cleared Dāvis Bertāns salary for Tre Mann (zero seconds) and received a starting caliber, efficient wing-player.

The thing to fear is a follow-up for a backup rebounding big. If they manage to scrape someone like Andre Drummond, they immediately become a serious problem, for Minnesota.

Drummond would be the ideal pickup for them. They'd finally have a guy who can go toe-to-toe with Jokic, Gobert and Embiid.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,001

Post#49 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:46 pm

Neeva wrote:
shrink wrote:

Yea it’s a trade deadline for bench pieces , but at least no opposing contenders in the west are really improving themselves too much . gafford is overrated, hayward is made of glass etc. YET anyway.

Gafford isn't overrated and is a huge get for the Mavs if the deal goes through.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#50 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:46 pm

shrink wrote:I am not optimistic for another move, but we will need to keep an eye out for a 2:59 trade of Wendell Moore Jr.

Jon Krawcinski says that the owners aren’t factoring in Mike Conley’s bonus, and if it hits, they will gladly pay because we made the finals. Personally, I think that’s wasteful, when a little cash up front to move WMJ could keep us under the lux, regardless of whether Conley’s bonus hits.

The best landing spot for WMJ is a rebuilding team, where cap space won’t matter next year, and most importantly - has the roster space (and mechanism) to add him for cap space. With all of these tiny trades everywhere, we might not know until the end of the deadline which teams have open roster spots.

I'll be honest, I kind of think that Jon was kinda just spitballing, on that one. It would be incomprehensibly stupid from a financial perspective, there is just no way Tim Connelly would allow for that to happen.

I fully agree with your expectation.
shrink
RealGM

Post#51 » by shrink » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:48 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I would not underrate that Gordon Hayward pickup, I think that is an insanely good deal for Oklahoma City. They cleared Dāvis Bertāns salary for Tre Mann (zero seconds) and received a starting caliber, efficient wing-player.

The thing to fear is a follow-up for a backup rebounding big. If they manage to scrape someone like Andre Drummond, they immediately become a serious problem, for Minnesota.

Drummond would be the ideal pickup for them. They'd finally have a guy who can go toe-to-toe with Jokic, Gobert and Embiid.

Drummond may have helped his case on Tuesday, looking better than expected starting against Gobert. I think the Thunder MUST be worried about the size of DEN and MIN. Still, for a team that has a ton of firsts, they have not made a big move into this year’s playoffs like they easily could.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,042

Post#52 » by wolves_89 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:51 pm

shrink wrote:I am not optimistic for another move, but we should keep an eye out for a 2:59 trade of Wendell Moore Jr.

I don't see the Wolves attaching a 2nd to trade Moore, but if there was a team willing to take him into a trade exception for nothing I could see him getting moved.
shrink
RealGM

Post#53 » by shrink » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:53 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
shrink wrote:I am not optimistic for another move, but we should keep an eye out for a 2:59 trade of Wendell Moore Jr.

I don't see the Wolves attaching a 2nd to trade Moore, but if there was a team willing to take him into a trade exception for nothing I could see him getting moved.

I agree. I would be comfortable with up to $3 mil in cash. $3 mil would pay for this year and next of Moore’s contract, so a team without cap issues would get a free look. In addition, if a team really wanted a 2nd, they could probably buy one for $3 mil.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#54 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:55 pm

Domejandro wrote:
shrink wrote:I am not optimistic for another move, but we will need to keep an eye out for a 2:59 trade of Wendell Moore Jr.

I'll be honest, I kind of think that Jon was kinda just spitballing, on that one. It would be incomprehensibly stupid from a financial perspective, there is just no way Tim Connelly would allow for that to happen.

The bonuses don't come in unless Minnesota makes the finals and the amount of money this organization will make with such a run would be insane. Just the added 8-10 home games would huge. Plus, the new owners are already making money by selling shares with a 2.1 billion evaluation. I think they would welcome paying that bonus.

Also, I do wonder if Conley can waive the bonus. I know trade kickers can be waived. Maybe if Conley does sign an extension, it can be moved to the new deal. Maybe he signs a two-year extension with the second year a team option with a 1.5 million guarantee.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,519

Post#55 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:59 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

The bonuses don't come in unless Minnesota makes the finals and the amount of money this organization will make with such a run would be insane. Just the added 8-10 home games would huge. Plus, the new owners are already making money by selling shares with a 2.1 billion evaluation. I think they would welcome paying that bonus.

Also, I do wonder if Conley can waive the bonus. I know trade kickers can be waived. Maybe if Conley does sign an extension, it can be moved to the new deal. Maybe he signs a two-year extension with the second year a team option with a 1.5 million guarantee.

I'm sure they don't care about the actual dollars to Conley if they make the finals. But why would they risk starting the clock on the repeater tax over WMJ?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#56 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:03 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

Not pushing the Repeater Tax (we are talking mid-to-high eight figures, once it kicks in) off a year to retain Wendell Moore Jr. would be criminally negligent. Given Minnesota's salary situation, it is legitimately untenable, even with Playoff revenue. There is no serious reason for Minnesota to eat that kind of cost, it would be crazy. Much easier to eat the cost of being in the second apron for two straight seasons, rather than wasting one of them on this season.

If Minnesota was going into the Luxury-Tax, they would have likely been more aggressive during this Trade Deadline to go all-in.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,728

Post#57 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#58 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:49 pm

Maybe Fournier gets a buyout and come to Wolves? I was hoping for a more impactful move than Morris trade but doesn't look like it's going to happen. All the GMs are out to lunch now.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,728

Post#59 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:54 pm

wolves_89 wrote:

If we do attach a second, we probably use the cash we save to buy a different second to replace it.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#60 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:10 pm

winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

This trade makes no sense to me at all. Toronto already waved the white flag for the year and Dinwiddie is better the Schroder so not sure why the Nets make this move.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves