All-Star Weekend

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,492

Re: All-Star Weekend 

Post#21 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:12 pm

The Ant stuff doesn’t bother me.

The entire All-Star Weekend is a mockery of the sport. Ant was just playing along.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,218

Post#22 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:36 pm

Domejandro wrote:I also think it is pretty lame for people like Domantas Sabonis (who has been better this season) to be snubbed and then have a guy completely disrespect the event.

It is just immensely tacky and shows a lack of appreciation for making the game. Anthony Edwards deserves the heat that he is getting online, he hasn’t earned being this flippant. I just will never understand enabling him to do a bunch of gimmicks in-game, it’s immature behaviour that doesn’t help the team win at all.

First of all, it was Saturday night. Sabonis didn't get snubbed from that.

At the end of the day, All-Star Weekend is about putting on a show. You can say that based on the results it looks like he's making a mockery of it, but if his shots were all CASH, they'd be saying something much differently. It's something he's been working on. It's really no different than when guys started pulling up from 40 feet. If it misses, it's ugly. But if it hits, the narrative would be much different.

That being said, he added after the night that he's going to do it again tonight. Also he's not too worried about sleep because he's going to be up celebrating his brother's birthday. So it will be interesting to see if he does much in the game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter

The guy on the 11-44 Spurs told the guy on the 39-16 Timberwolves that "fun is winning".....

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,123

Post#25 » by shrink » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:51 pm

I understand that the NBA wants to use the weekend to sell their product, but all these “competitions” are just gimmicks.

- Blowing out a candle on a cupcake while you dunk a ball, against no defenders, is a gimmick.

- Shooting multiple three pointers you pull off a rack, with some balls worth more, and no defenders is a gimmick.

- Even the All Star game, which is the closest to being basketball, will end up being 180-178, with players either making unguarded slam dunks or shooting from 35 feet - gimmick.

I know some people take this seriously, but you shouldn’t come down on people that don’t ..including Ant, where true basketball is his profession. The NBA pressures players to compete, and even have rules about showing up for the actual game, when so many players were faking injuries to rest up for real basketball after the break. I just hope that Ant and KAT have fun, recharge emotionally if not physically, and don’t get hurt. Every game after this is more important than then All Star Game.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,230

Post#26 » by Neeva » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:54 pm

Go Ant, he is bringing publicity to this event, in the end it’s all about getting ratings.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,123

Post#27 » by shrink » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:21 pm

So how would you rank are the NBA’s Top 5 in entertainment value (not best player) to casual basketball fans?

Off the top of my head, I might go

1. Steph
2. LeBron
3. Wemby

4-6. Giannis? Luka? Would you put Ant in this group? Above?

Jokic and Durant are amazing players, but his personality doesn’t make him very engaging to casual fans. Do people know Shai, stuck in OKC? I think Zion has fallen out. Brunson isn’t spectacular.

Thoughts?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:07 am

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:06 am

I'm trying to figure out if these teams will play more or less defense than the team that plays its home games in this building.

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,650

Post#30 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:08 am

Klomp wrote:I'm trying to figure out if these teams will play more or less defense than the team that plays its home games in this building.

Well given that Indy plays next to none, it would take a real effort to play less.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,955

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:57 am

I just turned on the game as Ant was entering it. I saw Kawhi shoot one of the worst air balls of all air balls. It was stupefying.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#32 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:00 am

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I'm trying to figure out if these teams will play more or less defense than the team that plays its home games in this building.

Well given that Indy plays next to none, it would take a real effort to play less.

They will make the effort and do it. That's how dedicated these all stars are.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#33 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:01 am

KGdaBom wrote:I just turned on the game as Ant was entering it. I saw Kawhi shoot one of the worst air balls of all air balls. It was stupefying.

Luka was playing defense in the low post. He suddenly realized it was the all star game, and just kinda stopped. Talk about stupefying!
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#34 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:03 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I just turned on the game as Ant was entering it. I saw Kawhi shoot one of the worst air balls of all air balls. It was stupefying.

Luka was playing defense in the low post. He suddenly realized it was the all star game, and just kinda stopped. Talk about stupefying!

I have been watching a little, but not really. I wish I had seen it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,541

Post#35 » by Domejandro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:19 am

I know that I'm being the world's biggest hater, but after watching for about ninety seconds, I have seen enough. :lol:
winforlose
General Manager

Post#36 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:19 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I have been watching a little, but not really. I wish I had seen it.

It was hilarious. He has the hand up, and he cannot decide if he should keep it up, so he kinda lowers it to half mast. Then the shot goes up and he just doesn’t care at all.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#37 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:20 am

Closing in on the half Haliburton is the front runner for MVP. 5-6 with 5 3s.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:21 am

Domejandro wrote:I know that I'm being the world's biggest hater, but after watching for about ninety seconds, I have seen enough. :lol:

We are all huge NBA fans, but despite having the greatest players in the world teaming up for this game we don't care. If that's not proof that something needs to be done I don't know what is.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#39 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:24 am

KAT started 1-4 officially cold hands. Now he's on a roll making 4 in a row.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,575

Post#40 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:26 am

East on close to a 200 point pace.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves