Game 64 Wolves @ Cavs 3-8-24 44-19

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,806

Re: Game 64 Wolves @ Cavs 3-8-24 44-19 

Post#161 » by Calinks » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:17 am

I think we can manage about .500 for the rest of the season. I think our offense will ok if we can get some spacing at the 4, I am worried about Kyle starting he destroys our spacing with his lack of shooting. If we had a willing and able 3 point shooter at the 4 I think we would actually look pretty good. I'd really take a hard look at Marcus Morris. Park his ass in the corner if he can shoot and let him rip.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,782

Post#162 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:21 am

Calinks wrote:I think we can manage about .500 for the rest of the season. I think our offense will ok if we can get some spacing at the 4, I am worried about Kyle starting he destroys our spacing with his lack of shooting. If we had a willing and able 3 point shooter at the 4 I think we would actually look pretty good. I'd really take a hard look at Marcus Morris. Park his ass in the corner if he can shoot and let him rip.

I am pretty sure he is out with a foot injury. Today is March 8th and no one has heard boo about him since the buyout. If the Spurs were not holding him hostage, he may have delayed the buyout to milk more money while trying to get healthy.

I do think we need to discuss signing the best available PG to a 10 day, moving NAW to starting SG, Ant to SF, Jaden to PF, and trying to limit Kyle and Rudy together.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Post#163 » by shangrila » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:38 am

MN7725 wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Calinks wrote:Ah well. End of the day, we couldn't produce points when we needed them. Nobody could step up outside of Naz Reid. Also that Rudy tech was absolutely fatal. He didn't get that, we probably win. We have to be exceptional to maintain a top 2 spot while Towns is out. We were not that tonight. We drop to number 2, we will have to claw and fight to stay at 2. OKC will not be giving up one easily the way Shai is playing and I don't think we will win enough games to go back and take it.

I gave up on the #1 seed the minute Towns was out. We'll likely finish either 3rd or 4th depending on if the Clippers' struggles continue.

you guys are more optimistic than me
just hoping to avoid play-in

Conley has fallen off a cliff and the KA-Gobert lineups will be the main lineups now, rather than a minor nuisance

I did the math somewhere (I think the Towns thread?) and realistically we need to have an absolutely catastrophic run to end up in the playin. Like ending the season 5-15 or worse. Anything better likely keeps us in the top 6 at absolute worst. Hell, splitting our remaining games (which we've done so far with the win over Indiana and loss in Cleveland) would give us 53 wins which should be more than enough for home court in the first round.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#164 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:18 am

For me we have to stop to worry about position on regular season. Denver OKC CLippers will pass us, maybe another team too. Better manage smartly and make sure ANT, Rudy, Mike, Jaden and the others are at 100% physically when PO start, If we keep pushing too much on ANT ( obviously not 100% when all the small injuries he got) and on Mike ( his shoot is falling down, i'm pretty sure he got arm soreness), we have have another player injured and we will not pass the first round. Hope Finch is smart enough .
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,018

Post#165 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:15 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:For me we have to stop to worry about position on regular season. Denver OKC CLippers will pass us, maybe another team too. Better manage smartly and make sure ANT, Rudy, Mike, Jaden and the others are at 100% physically when PO start, If we keep pushing too much on ANT ( obviously not 100% when all the small injuries he got) and on Mike ( his shoot is falling down, i'm pretty sure he got arm soreness), we have have another player injured and we will not pass the first round. Hope Finch is smart enough .

I'm not counting us out for holding #1. Unlikely sure, but it could happen. Shame we lost yesterday in OT. Ant and the refs were horrible or we win.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,035

Post#166 » by thinktank » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:39 pm

You can’t win that game with that reffing.

Are the Wolves the most physical-ish team in the league, led by Gobert and Ant?

I would argue, yes.

And especially on offense, it does them no favors. They’re usually generating more contact than their opponents. The refs let a lot of it go.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Movics
Rookie
And1: 860

Post#167 » by Movics » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:04 pm

Still in disbelief about the refereeing last night. I watch the Lakers just as much as the Wolves and even they have never gotten calls after calls after calls after calls… like it happened yesterday. Sorry, just had to vent somewhere because it legit bummed me out. There has to be consequences for the refs or the game is more rigged than I’ve ever thought
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 106

Post#168 » by cmoss84 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:24 pm

I remember reading an article years ago about how crooked the NBA (and sports in general) is. About the ref who went to prison...Donahue? Can't remember his name.
Anyway...went into depth about mafia, bookies, refs, players,etc. People being hung outside hotel windows who didn't do their jobs or pay up. Was very detailed and in depth...quite interesting...and sad
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,756

Post#169 » by minimus » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:58 pm

cmoss84 wrote:I remember reading an article years ago about how crooked the NBA (and sports in general) is. About the ref who went to prison...Donahue? Can't remember his name.
Anyway...went into depth about mafia, bookies, refs, players,etc. People being hung outside hotel windows who didn't do their jobs or pay up. Was very detailed and in depth...quite interesting...and sad

I can easily imagine that it is even worse now. I have one family member who suffers from this disease
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#170 » by TimberKat » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:18 pm

minimus wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:I remember reading an article years ago about how crooked the NBA (and sports in general) is. About the ref who went to prison...Donahue? Can't remember his name.

I can easily imagine that it is even worse now. I have one family member who suffers from this disease

Yes, but I hope Gobert comes up with a better excuse for the gesture. NBA is very sensitive to refs gambling and I do think for most part it is 'clean'. There is always two sides betting anyway :D . It already cost Wolves a game ( although holistically maybe not as other players suck too). I don't want to see him get suspended.
Movics
Rookie
And1: 860

Post#171 » by Movics » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:01 pm

minimus wrote:

:lol: You probably heard how hard I laughed at your comment. I’m sorry about your family member. Mental illness is no joke
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Folklore
Senior
And1: 174

Post#172 » by Folklore » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:02 pm

Just finished watching the game. Naz should have shot the last shot in regulation, especially when ant didn't even score. And KA had no business being in the game for so long. same with Mike. Just because a guy is called a starter doesn't mean that he should be left in the game even when he's a detriment to the win. Overtime should have had Naz, JMac and TJ on the floor.

We don't have the luxury to eff around with our rookies (and TJ seeing as how bad we need scoring and guys who can come in a produce when players get injured. We need another Center who can come in when Rudy does sht like he did. Luka right now is just Mark Madsen.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,756

Post#173 » by minimus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:25 am

That was an awful game... But you gotta be smarter...
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,806

Post#174 » by Calinks » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:05 am

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#175 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 am

Calinks wrote:

Guy is super annoying in his commentary, but has a good eye for defense. This is the exact stuff that the Wolves coaches actually highlight in film sessions. Good find Calinks.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Post#176 » by shangrila » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:25 am

Calinks wrote:

These vids are interesting to watch, although he is over the top. You can find handfuls of bad defensive plays in every game regardless of the team so I don't find it as valuable as the content Howls and Growls puts out.

That said, I think he's made a video on us twice this season from memory. Given that he puts out multiple every day...I'd say that's a solid indication of the consistency of our defence.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#177 » by Biff Cooper » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:22 pm

The NBA confirmed all the calls and non-calls in the final 2 minutes of the game, and only had one incorrect call during overtime identified.

Probably most of the poor calls were before the final 2 minutes of the game though...
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 106

Post#178 » by cmoss84 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:26 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:The NBA confirmed all the calls and non-calls in the final 2 minutes of the game, and only had one incorrect call during overtime identified.

Probably most of the poor calls were before the final 2 minutes of the game though...

Final 2 minutes of 4th or OT?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#179 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:27 pm

cmoss84 wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:The NBA confirmed all the calls and non-calls in the final 2 minutes of the game, and only had one incorrect call during overtime identified.

LOL. Rudy’s 6th foul was a bad call. The OT whistles were one sided. If the NBA wants to say that everything that happened in those 7 minutes is within the officials discretion, that is fine. But that also means the officials have the discretion to rig a game in favor of one team or the other. Which means the NBA is the WWE, only with real sports betting promoted by and directly profit sharing with the NBA.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#180 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:

LOL. Rudy’s 6th foul was a bad call. The OT whistles were one sided. If the NBA wants to say that everything that happened in those 7 minutes is within the officials discretion, that is fine. But that also means the officials have the discretion to rig a game in favor of one team or the other. Which means the NBA is the WWE, only with real sports betting promoted by and directly profit sharing with the NBA.

As I said, the bad calls must have been earlier. The NBA report says there were only 3 live action calls in the last 2 minutes of regulation. One was the 6th foul on Gobert, which was a foul. The problem with that was that Foster wasn't in position to make the call, and the other refs let it go. The other two whistles were a 24 second violation on Cleveland when Naz blocked Garland, and the take foul on Cleveland.

There were no whistles the first 3 minutes of OT, and after that 4 fouls were blown against MN, 2 fouls were blown against Cleveland, and one additional foul was missed against Cleveland.

The reffing was horrible in the game, and the 2 minute report makes it look like they did a good job.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves