ImageImageImage

Bench kat?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 213

Re: Bench kat? 

Post#21 » by frankenwolf » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 pm

winforlose wrote:I have a couple different takes from you guys.

1. Our biggest failing in all 3 games was the first quarter. We were fine in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and the fourth usually involved non competitive garbage time for large chunks. The biggest issue in the first quarter isn’t on defense, it is turnovers. We can defend the Suns in the half court way better than in transition. Moreover, tired legs effect shooting. Giving the ball away means the Suns don’t spend as much time on defense, and they don’t get worn down the way we do. Taking care of the ball is priority 1.

2. The problem with our playing big is we aren’t getting the big ball benefits. We cannot give up 13 offensive rebounds to a small ball lineup. We cannot let their guards keep us off the offensive glass, I know Finch doesn’t like guys staying down for offensive boards, but that is the size advantage at work. Get second and third attempts, and keep the ball away from the suns offense for longer stretches. Moreover, Rudy cannot let Nurk or Eubanks or anyone else deny him the catch. Throw the ball up when Rudy is on the roll and let him jump up and slam it down. Chest passes, or even head level passes are opportunities for smaller defenders to play defense against bigger players. Finally, use the actual size of the big bodies to set better screens. Ant can get open looks with better off ball movement and screens. Mike can get anything he wants and even Karl can wide open 3s playing pick and pop with Rudy and or Naz. We don’t need to go small, we need to PLAY big.

3. We need to stop letting perfect be the enemy of good. Rudy trying to be perfect on D and closing out to Nurk or Eubanks in the corner is silly. There is a reason teams back off of Kyle when has the ball in the corner. Likewise, Karl trying to chase Allen or Ant trying to guard KD are mistakes. When they have the speed advantage use the length and size advantage and play a modified zone. It is easier in the playoffs when you can structure your defense against only one team at a time, but Rudy should always have a plan to stay down or get down quickly. Make the Suns take a ton of threes and rebound the ball. Maybe they hit 20 in a game, but in another they will hit 15 or less. Plan for long rebounds, and limit them to one shot per possession. It is okay to give up an open shot from an average shooter (midrange Beal,) to avoid giving up an open corner 3 from Allen.

1 YES!!
2 Absolutely
3 The Timberwolves just need to play their #1 ranked defense better. Modify it a little to let them take those long threes rather than long two's. With our length, we should play a decent 1-2-2 zone and let them try to shoot over it.
OTOH, I am not an NBA coach, so what do I know. . . :D
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves