ImageImageImage

WCS Game 1: Minnesota at Denver, Saturday

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,065

Re: WCS Game 1: Minnesota at Denver, Saturday 

Post#21 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:50 pm

Domejandro wrote:Absolute agony listening to them describe the Rudy Gobert vs. Nikola Jokić match-up, when we are two years deep into Karl-Anthony Towns being his primary defender.

And Chuck thinks Gordon will defend Ant :o :lol: :lol: :lol: I love Chuck, but he is clueless when it comes to Wolves, never watches us. Clearly Kenny and times the other two show they seen wolves games unlike Chuck. He has no idea what the defensive matchups have been. Rudy on Joker and Gordon on Ant is just blissful ignorance from a NBA expert.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:52 pm

Stocking on beer and snacks for late night Saturday already (can watch live only on weekends lol), it should be insanely exciting match up.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,249

Post#23 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:56 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Absolute agony listening to them describe the Rudy Gobert vs. Nikola Jokić match-up, when we are two years deep into Karl-Anthony Towns being his primary defender.

And Chuck thinks Gordon will defend Ant :o :lol: :lol: :lol: I love Chuck, but he is clueless when it comes to Wolves, never watches us. Clearly Kenny and times the other two show they seen wolves games unlike Chuck. He has no idea what the defensive matchups have been. Rudy on Joker and Gordon on Ant is just blissful ignorance from a NBA expert.

I wouldn't rule out the Gordon one, as it's their best chance to slow down Ant. When KAT hasn't been in games, I'm pretty sure Gordon has guarded Ant.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:59 pm

In case people need a refresher

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:02 pm

Klomp wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:

I wouldn't rule out the Gordon one, as it's their best chance to slow down Ant. When KAT hasn't been in games, I'm pretty sure Gordon has guarded Ant.

Not for long, Gordon is athletic good defender for big forwards/wings but he is too slow to defend a shifty quick Ant. Seen Ant blow by him in matchups before.

I'm pretty sure it will be KCP, even if it's not ideal for them either.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 pm

Klomp wrote:In case people need a refresher

Howl and growl is great analytical wolves channel. I watch his clips before any game we play Nuggets lol. I watched this last night again lol
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,653

Post#27 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:20 pm

Listening to Dane Moore and a weird idea struck me. I have not really thought this thru at all, so it might be really dumb. I mean this idea just popped into my head like less than a minute ago. I just wanted to talk it through with people. What if Ant was matched up with Gordon, and floated. Karl on MPJ, Rudy on Joker, Mike on KCP, and Jaden on Murray. Now Ant can double Murray whenever he catches the ball, can help on MPJ whenever Karl is screened, and can help on Joker whenever he catches in the high post. Again, I have not really thought this through. It is a top of my head crazy thought, I just wanted to hear other people talk about it (sounding board.)
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,498

Post#28 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 pm

winforlose wrote:Listening to Dane Moore and a weird idea struck me. I have not really thought this thru at all, so it might be really dumb. I mean this idea just popped into my head like less than a minute ago. I just wanted to talk it through with people. What if Ant was matched up with Gordon, and floated. Karl on MPJ, Rudy on Joker, Mike on KCP, and Jaden on Murray. Now Ant can double Murray whenever he catches the ball, can help on MPJ whenever Karl is screened, and can help on Joker whenever he catches in the high post. Again, I have not really thought this through. It is a top of my head crazy thought, I just wanted to hear other people talk about it (sounding board.)

I think you're putting Rudy at a much bigger risk of foul trouble and not really gaining anything elsewhere.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#29 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:51 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:Listening to Dane Moore and a weird idea struck me. I have not really thought this thru at all, so it might be really dumb. I mean this idea just popped into my head like less than a minute ago. I just wanted to talk it through with people. What if Ant was matched up with Gordon, and floated. Karl on MPJ, Rudy on Joker, Mike on KCP, and Jaden on Murray. Now Ant can double Murray whenever he catches the ball, can help on MPJ whenever Karl is screened, and can help on Joker whenever he catches in the high post. Again, I have not really thought this through. It is a top of my head crazy thought, I just wanted to hear other people talk about it (sounding board.)

I think you're putting Rudy at a much bigger risk of foul trouble and not really gaining anything elsewhere.

Ant in help is faster and can trap better. Might deny Jokic the catch on some post ups, might deter some Jamal Murray drives, and might be more effective in switching scheme. But then again, Rudy isn’t exactly slow.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,498

Post#30 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Ant in help is faster and can trap better. Might deny Jokic the catch on some post ups, might deter some Jamal Murray drives, and might be more effective in switching scheme. But then again, Rudy isn’t exactly slow.

I don't like Ant in a "roving" role at this point in his career. His defense strength is he's a bulldog that can lock onto his guy and make his life miserable. But he's not that guy in team defense. He tends to drift a bit when he's not on the ball, and your role requires him to be watching everyone and go with the ball and not his man.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:13 pm

Karl chasing MPJ around screens?

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,565

Post#32 » by Domejandro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:13 pm

Here are my first-thoughts with that strategy (no hate, just have concerns):

With how quick Michael Porter Jr. is getting around screens, and the amount of off-ball action that is drawn up for him, I think that Karl-Anthony Towns would get cooked. Towns is at his best in single-coverage, having him chase MPJ around seems like a waste of his skillsets and energy (plus, I think MPJ would score a ton). To mitigate Michael Porter Jr., you need to be able to be physical and navigate off-ball screen action effectively.

I also think that would be a HUGE misuse of Rudy Gobert's strengths. Having him as a roamer allows for him to over-commit to jam up ball-screen action and roam; we have seen that he isn't particularly effective at limiting Nikola Jokić one-on-one. Also substantially increases the risk of foul trouble for Rudy Gobert.

Finally, Aaron Gordon's size mismatch against Anthony Edwards would be incredibly problematic on-the-glass and when Gordon sets curl screens. I think that would end up leading to a ton of Aaron Gordon dunks.

Minnesota is far better off keeping Rudy Gobert as a roamer to mitigate MPJ's ability to cut baseline and Jamal Murray's ability to easily snake into the paint. Doubling against the Denver Nuggets feels like a disaster waiting to happen, given how deadly their three-point shooting threats are. I prefer sticking to a more single-coverage strategy, where Karl-Anthony Towns is used as the sacrificial lamb against the other team's best player (he actually does an incredible job statistically, in this role).

Read on Twitter

Reposting this stat to support why keeping Karl-Anthony Towns in single-coverage is valuable. Towns is able to do a really respectable job against his match-up and is mobile enough to contain guards on switches. Against a passer of Nikola Jokić's caliber, it is immensely important to play him straight up and deny open threes.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 483

Post#33 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Wed May 1, 2024 12:16 am

Bench production might be the key. We are deeper than them and have to take advantage. Make Jokic, Murray and MPJ tired and they may miss shoot when it matters the most. Go Wolves !
winforlose
General Manager

Post#34 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 12:49 am

Domejandro wrote:

Here are my first-thoughts with that strategy (no hate, just have concerns):

With how quick Michael Porter Jr. is getting around screens, and the amount of off-ball action that is drawn up for him, I think that Karl-Anthony Towns would get cooked. Towns is at his best in single-coverage, having him chase MPJ around seems like a waste of his skillsets and energy (plus, I think MPJ would score a ton). To mitigate Michael Porter Jr., you need to be able to be physical and navigate off-ball screen action effectively.

I also think that would be a HUGE misuse of Rudy Gobert's strengths. Having him as a roamer allows for him to over-commit to jam up ball-screen action and roam; we have seen that he isn't particularly effective at limiting Nikola Jokić one-on-one. Also substantially increases the risk of foul trouble for Rudy Gobert.

Finally, Aaron Gordon's size mismatch against Anthony Edwards would be incredibly problematic on-the-glass and when Gordon sets curl screens. I think that would end up leading to a ton of Aaron Gordon dunks.

Minnesota is far better off keeping Rudy Gobert as a roamer to mitigate MPJ's ability to cut baseline and Jamal Murray's ability to easily snake into the paint. Doubling against the Denver Nuggets feels like a disaster waiting to happen, given how deadly their three-point shooting threats are. I prefer sticking to a more single-coverage strategy, where Karl-Anthony Towns is used as the sacrificial lamb against the other team's best player (he actually does an incredible job statistically, in this role).

Read on Twitter

Reposting this stat to support why keeping Karl-Anthony Towns in single-coverage is valuable. Towns is able to do a really respectable job against his match-up and is mobile enough to contain guards on switches. Against a passer of Nikola Jokić's caliber, it is immensely important to play him straight up and deny open threes.

Great post. There is a lot of very good observation and numbers on display. No matter what I think we are going to use the roamer and situational doubles. What I liked about Ant as the roamer is that he could switch onto MPJ or Murray more easily. It also has the added benefit of getting Rudy on Jokic which incentives Denver to take Joker out of the paint, (on the theory that they want Rudy out of the paint.) The biggest issues are obviously Rudy’s struggles against Joker and Ant’s size disadvantage against Gordon. I think I was right the first time that Gobert should guard Gordon.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#35 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 12:50 am

Klomp wrote:

Karl chasing MPJ around screens?

The idea was he wouldn’t have to. The first screen triggers the switch and Karl switches into the roamer role.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,567

Post#36 » by WolfAddict » Wed May 1, 2024 12:52 am

Defensive schemes aside, is anyone else just brimming with emotion right now? Like every time I think about this playoff run I almost get teary. And a grown arse man to boot.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#37 » by Guest84 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:52 am

I’m seeing a lot of ppl on socials say this is the real NBA finals. I’m honestly quite surprised.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 197

Post#38 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed May 1, 2024 3:18 am

I've said it a few times, and I'm a Kat hater, this series is dependent on whether he shows up. It's time for him. We cannot win without him. Yet will need to re-tool if he doesn't perform. I just don't forsee a circumstance where Kat plays phenomenally and we lose.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#39 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 3:31 am

Guest84 wrote:I’m seeing a lot of ppl on socials say this is the real NBA finals. I’m honestly quite surprised.

They are saying it because both teams stand head and shoulders above the Thunder (literally and figuratively,) and because Boston is overrated. They played in an East that was much weaker than the west and injured quite often as well. The winner of our next series is the odds on favorite to win it all.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Post#40 » by TimberKat » Wed May 1, 2024 3:39 am

winforlose wrote:
Guest84 wrote:I’m seeing a lot of ppl on socials say this is the real NBA finals. I’m honestly quite surprised.

They are saying it because both teams stand head and shoulders above the Thunder (literally and figuratively,) and because Boston is overrated. They played in an East that was much weaker than the west and injured quite often as well. The winner of our next series is the odds on favorite to win it all.

I been saying all year OKC is a very good team. I actually worry more about OKC than DEN. Let's hope we have a chance to see if that is true.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves