ImageImageImage

WCS Game 1: Minnesota at Denver, Saturday

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,656

Re: WCS Game 1: Minnesota at Denver, Saturday 

Post#41 » by TimberKat » Wed May 1, 2024 4:10 am

Ant's stat against PHX is insanely good. 31 pt, .512 shooting pct, over .400 3pt pct, 8 rb, 6.3 ast. That is MJ type number
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 740

Post#42 » by karch34 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:16 am

KAT won first series with a big game. Think that weight removed means something. Also think the narrative we beat a bad Suns team is BS. We played 5-8 a lot and came through many hay makers, not the least end of game 4 when two HOF scored 82. Might not be our turn but we played Denver well last two years especially with Naz and Jaden. Let the fun begin!
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,653

Post#43 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 7:21 am

TimberKat wrote:Ant's stat against PHX is insanely good. 31 pt, .512 shooting pct, over .400 3pt pct, 8 rb, 6.3 ast. That is MJ type number

You think that looks good, check out his road numbers :)
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#44 » by Guest84 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:31 pm

karch34 wrote:KAT won first series with a big game. Think that weight removed means something. Also think the narrative we beat a bad Suns team is BS. We played 5-8 a lot and came through many hay makers, not the least end of game 4 when two HOF scored 82. Might not be our turn but we played Denver well last two years especially with Naz and Jaden. Let the fun begin!

Especially with a lot of ppl expecting the wolves to get beat due to the reg season losses. They switched up quick and would rather say Phx played poor than give the wolves credit for actually making them play poorly. I like the underdog narrative though...keep it going.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#45 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 6:46 pm

Apparently the Wolves won’t travel to Denver until Friday. Massive mistake that puts us at a severe disadvantage in games 1 and 2.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,257

Post#46 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 6:50 pm

winforlose wrote:Apparently the Wolves won’t travel to Denver until Friday. Massive mistake that puts us at a severe disadvantage in games 1 and 2.

That's pretty normal for teams.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#47 » by TimberKat » Wed May 1, 2024 6:54 pm

winforlose wrote:Apparently the Wolves won’t travel to Denver until Friday. Massive mistake that puts us at a severe disadvantage in games 1 and 2.

Maybe they plan to play a 11 man rotation. I agree, the more time up there running, the better.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#48 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 7:27 pm

Klomp wrote:

Denver’s altitude is the ultimate home court advantage. You wanna get there ASAP and acclimate. Get your body used to the increase work load and your stamina will be better come game time.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 7:39 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Denver’s altitude is the ultimate home court advantage. You wanna get there ASAP and acclimate. Get your body used to the increase work load and your stamina will be better come game time.

The fact that Tim Connelly, Chris Finch and Micah Nori all once lived and worked in Denver and still made the decision they did tells me they're not too worried about it.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#50 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 7:45 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:That's pretty normal for teams.

The fact that Tim Connelly, Chris Finch and Micah Nori all once lived and worked in Denver and still made the decision they did tells me they're not too worried about it.

Or they want to be close for Finch so they can visit him after his surgery and then all fly together. I honestly don’t know if it’s one, the other, or both.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,498

Post#51 » by BlacJacMac » Wed May 1, 2024 8:37 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

A couple days isn't going to make a difference.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by BlacJacMac » Wed May 1, 2024 8:58 pm

Canis comment:

BouncePass
I keep seeing comments like this. Denver isn’t that high, but it’s something like 17 percent less oxygen in the air. It takes around 5 days to get “used” to that for walking around, but strenuous exercise makes the problem worse. There is some suggestion that rigorous exercise is easier right away after traveling (within the first two days) than in the 3-5 day window when the body is going through the adjustment process.

By the way, it takes much longer for the body to accumulate an advantage for athletic purposes (altitude training) — at least 4 weeks.

All of this is to say that going to Denver early probably doesn’t help much—it’s just not enough time to acclimatize. These guys are incredible athletes, and their training should allow them to play at a high level of intensity.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,565

Post#53 » by Domejandro » Wed May 1, 2024 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Above showcases why I think we could see Nickeil Alexander-Walker switched onto Michael Porter Jr. in niche cases, throughout the series. Michael Porter Jr. can shoot over anyone if he is given any space, so guarding him requires staying into his body to deny the initial catch and/or prevent him from being able to catch-and-release.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#54 » by Guest84 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:55 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Above showcases why I think we could see Nickeil Alexander-Walker switched onto Michael Porter Jr. in niche cases, throughout the series. Michael Porter Jr. can shoot over anyone if he is given any space, so guarding him requires staying into his body to deny the initial catch and/or prevent him from being able to catch-and-release.

What I saw in that was a shooter shooting in rhythm. Regardless of the contest, these guys are too skilled to allow them to shoot in rhythm. However, as we saw in the Phx series, I think each of Jaden, Naw, Ant, Kyle, and even Karl will see time on MPJ. Same with Murray (Naw, Ant, Jaden, Kyle).

Can the wolves keep the poise they had against Phx? One thing in the LAL series was how tight Den rotations were. I think I heard they only went like 7-8 deep. The wolves' depth vs Den starters could play a huge role in this series. The wolves grew stronger over the course of the game while Phx weakened due to lack of depth.

I think you let Joker get his and stay home on everyone else. Do not let the hustle guys (Braun, etc) beat you either.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 11:23 pm

Read on Twitter

TimberKat
Analyst

Post#56 » by TimberKat » Thu May 2, 2024 5:10 am

BlacJacMac wrote:Canis comment:

BouncePass
I keep seeing comments like this. Denver isn’t that high, but it’s something like 17 percent less oxygen in the air. It takes around 5 days to get “used” to that for walking around, but strenuous exercise makes the problem worse. There is some suggestion that rigorous exercise is easier right away after traveling (within the first two days) than in the 3-5 day window when the body is going through the adjustment process.

By the way, it takes much longer for the body to accumulate an advantage for athletic purposes (altitude training) — at least 4 weeks.

All of this is to say that going to Denver early probably doesn’t help much—it’s just not enough time to acclimatize. These guys are incredible athletes, and their training should allow them to play at a high level of intensity.

Interesting... So it is saying the second game is harder. Should they flyout that night and come back for the 2nd game? I am also wondering if they have Oxygen tanks (like the football players) on the bench would help? Does DEN actually have an above average home court winning pct? Even in those losing seasons?
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,596

Post#57 » by Note30 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:50 pm

Do we know when they will update the time for the game?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions
- March 2023
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#58 » by BlacJacMac » Thu May 2, 2024 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,956

Post#59 » by thinktank » Thu May 2, 2024 7:13 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Dane said they fly in today, I believe (Thursday). They will practice on Friday.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,041

Post#60 » by wolves_89 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:55 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Wolves players are healthy for the Denver matchup, but they will be largely without their head coach. From the sound of it, Finch is going to be really limited in terms of mobility. The likely scenario is that he will be seated behind the bench with Nori being the defacto head coach during the games.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves