ImageImageImage

WCS Game 1: Minnesota at Denver, Saturday

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 910

Re: WCS Game 1: Minnesota at Denver, Saturday 

Post#281 » by Dalvin » Sun May 5, 2024 6:48 am

Now I get why the team dropped to the number 3 seed for the playoffs.
So they can close out the Nuggets and the Thunder at home in Game 4 :cool:
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,747

Post#282 » by minimus » Sun May 5, 2024 6:50 am

Basti wrote:
Movics wrote:
Guidus88 wrote:
This was my plan too… but I’m too excited and can’t sleep well

It’s a Saturday night game. There are no excuses for not staying up, my fellow Europeans :D man, I don’t miss waking up at 4:30 am to watch the lakers play as a 13-14 year old…

That's fair point but in my defence, I stayed up far too many nights (regardless of the weekdays or weekends) to watch the Wolves lose when I was younger. Nowadays, I am approaching my 40s and sudden changes to my sleeping habits aren't as easily handled as they used to be.

And that's the end of my old man rant :D

Same here. Being in Europe, being 43 yo family man (four kids). I used to watch almost entire season three years ago because my youngest daughter did not sleep well at night, so I helped my wife with night watch, haha.

But now Wolves are back, so back!
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#283 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:04 am

Note30 wrote:Ant is the next MJ/Kobe. He is that guy. We have a generational player on our team. 20 years from now he's going to be in that debate.

Lakers fan here. He’s in that debate now. Rooting for the wolves, watching ant just makes me insanely nostalgic. I also took money on the wolves to win the series before game 1 bc I love rooting for ant lol
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
deepestblue
Freshman
And1: 80

Post#284 » by deepestblue » Sun May 5, 2024 9:13 am

Wolves fan since 1989, and after this unbelievable performance in game 1 (it literally doesn't feel real after 20 years of the team not winning a single game beyond round 1....after all it "only" took them 15 years from their inception to win a single game beyond round 1), I have a few words to say:

Naz Reid, Naz Reid Naz Reid Naz Reid, Naz Reid....Naz Reid!
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#285 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 5, 2024 9:53 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:
Note30 wrote:Ant is the next MJ/Kobe. He is that guy. We have a generational player on our team. 20 years from now he's going to be in that debate.

Lakers fan here. He’s in that debate now. Rooting for the wolves, watching ant just makes me insanely nostalgic. I also took money on the wolves to win the series before game 1 bc I love rooting for ant lol

Thanks for stopping by.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,078

Post#286 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun May 5, 2024 10:42 am

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#287 » by Colbinii » Sun May 5, 2024 2:52 pm

There is a chance we just keep on cruising. Nobody can guard Edwards or Towns in this series. Our defense is just so good and consistent that it takes perfect offense to even generate a good look, let alone making the shot.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,503

Post#288 » by BlacJacMac » Sun May 5, 2024 3:33 pm

The value of Jaden.

He was totally out of sync offensively. 0 points. Missed at least 2-3 bunnies.

But he pulled down 8 rebounds and only had 1 PF in 39 minutes. +14 for the game.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,172

Post#289 » by shrink » Sun May 5, 2024 3:46 pm

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#290 » by Colbinii » Sun May 5, 2024 4:05 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:The value of Jaden.

He was totally out of sync offensively. 0 points. Missed at least 2-3 bunnies.

But he pulled down 8 rebounds and only had 1 PF in 39 minutes. +14 for the game.

I have never seen a player his size navigate screens so well.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,172

Post#291 » by shrink » Sun May 5, 2024 5:19 pm

From canishoopus.

Nikola Jokic averaged fewer assists against the Timberwolves than any other team in the league this season, and it certainly showed. Karl-Anthony Towns deserves a ton of credit for the way he has been able to fight in this match up.

Karl Anthony Towns since the start of last season and the playoffs has held Nikola Jokic to 37.8% shooting. It’s like 46 points on 48 shots, and of any player that has guarded Nikola Jokic as much as he has, that is the lowest field goal percentage by far. The next closest player is Sengun, at 48-49%.

When you’re able to be physical with Jokic, and prevent him from getting to the front of the restricted area, forcing him to play in the midrange area where you can contest shots without fouling, you’re doing things right.

Gobert is an awesome defender, but Jokic is one of the few matchups that favors Towns. Jokic isn’t quick, Towns can stay out of foul trouble (if they aren’t self-inflicted), and he’s still long to make it harder for Jokic to pass. Last night, he had 9 assists but 6 turnovers.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 198

Post#292 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sun May 5, 2024 6:54 pm

shrink wrote:From canishoopus.

Nikola Jokic averaged fewer assists against the Timberwolves than any other team in the league this season, and it certainly showed. Karl-Anthony Towns deserves a ton of credit for the way he has been able to fight in this match up.

Karl Anthony Towns since the start of last season and the playoffs has held Nikola Jokic to 37.8% shooting. It’s like 46 points on 48 shots, and of any player that has guarded Nikola Jokic as much as he has, that is the lowest field goal percentage by far. The next closest player is Sengun, at 48-49%.

When you’re able to be physical with Jokic, and prevent him from getting to the front of the restricted area, forcing him to play in the midrange area where you can contest shots without fouling, you’re doing things right.

Gobert is an awesome defender, but Jokic is one of the few matchups that favors Towns. Jokic isn’t quick, Towns can stay out of foul trouble (if they aren’t self-inflicted), and he’s still long to make it harder for Jokic to pass. Last night, he had 9 assists but 6 turnovers.

Agree. Gobert one on one vs Jokic for whatever reason isn't that effective, but I think it was someone on tnt that made a comment of: Wolves are able to rotate Kat, gobert, and Naz defending him. Thinking this is the way to go... maintain fresh, intense defense on that guy
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,584

Post#293 » by Worm Guts » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 pm

I thought Naz did a pretty good job when he had to guard Jokic, arguably the best of the three.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,310

Post#294 » by trex_8063 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:52 pm

What a game! I got to watch it today (had recorded it and managed to avoid learning of spoilers).

Through much of the regular season, I must admit to thinking the Wolves were more of a paper tiger than a true contender; but now I'm starting to believe! They absolutely wupped Phoenix in the first round, steal game 1 from the defending champs IN DENVER?!? It seems possible (at least to win the West; idk if anyone can beat Boston).

They are definitely the team I'm rooting for this year, though.

I'm reluctant to say this, since I reprimanded a poster for seemingly baiting with this comment (after a different game)---and I would never say this on the Nuggets forum, where it more or less would be baiting.......but there were a couple moments where I was wondering if the refs were trying to help the Nuggets.

The instances that specifically come to mind was one play where KCP hacked Edwards [and he turned the ball over]: no call. Even with just the wide view on the TV and in real-time it was SO patently obvious that it was a hack. They showed the replay and he hacked down across BOTH forearms, didn't touch the ball at all (missed the ball by probably 6-8", in fact), and the recoil/reaction by Edwards as well as the trajectory of the ball also made it obvious it was a foul..........I cannot believe that not one of THREE officials caught that and made the correct call.

And then later after Edwards made a tough "big boy" bucket, he stared down KCP, and the ref called him for a technical. Not a word was exchanged, and the ref teed him up for a look. Come on. And then to make it worse, something like 5-10 minutes later, Jamal Murray did something similar to a TWolves player and: no call.

I was set to be so mad if the Wolves had lost by just 1-2 pts.

Anyway, awesome game.....
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 198

Post#295 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sun May 5, 2024 8:12 pm

trex_8063 wrote:What a game! I got to watch it today (had recorded it and managed to avoid learning of spoilers).

Through much of the regular season, I must admit to thinking the Wolves were more of a paper tiger than a true contender; but now I'm starting to believe! They absolutely wupped Phoenix in the first round, steal game 1 from the defending champs IN DENVER?!? It seems possible (at least to win the West; idk if anyone can beat Boston).

They are definitely the team I'm rooting for this year, though.

I'm reluctant to say this, since I reprimanded a poster for seemingly baiting with this comment (after a different game)---and I would never say this on the Nuggets forum, where it more or less would be baiting.......but there were a couple moments where I was wondering if the refs were trying to help the Nuggets.

The instances that specifically come to mind was one play where KCP hacked Edwards [and he turned the ball over]: no call. Even with just the wide view on the TV and in real-time it was SO patently obvious that it was a hack. They showed the replay and he hacked down across BOTH forearms, didn't touch the ball at all (missed the ball by probably 6-8", in fact), and the recoil/reaction by Edwards as well as the trajectory of the ball also made it obvious it was a foul..........I cannot believe that not one of THREE officials caught that and made the correct call.

And then later after Edwards made a tough "big boy" bucket, he stared down KCP, and the ref called him for a technical. Not a word was exchanged, and the ref teed him up for a look. Come on. And then to make it worse, something 5-10 minutes, Jamal Murray did something similar to a TWolves player and: no call.

I was set to be so mad if the Wolves had lost by just 1-2 pts.

Anyway, awesome game.....

Nba has already rescinded the Ant tech. Jamal Murray pistol shooter thing has been talked about on all platforms.

Towns (in particular), Ant, and essentially everyone on our team has backed off with complaining to the refs. No idea of who is behind it, but thank you to whoever it was.

Now we have a forum mod making statements of potential rigging? If we just play our game, with intention and discipline, we can overcome rigging (which isn't even happening)
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,104

Post#296 » by life_saver » Mon May 6, 2024 12:53 am

A big thing I noticed so far in playoffs is that our guys are putting lot more effort on rebounding than they did in RS...it's been a big difference so far
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 431

Post#297 » by Guest84 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:25 am

I was seeing a lot of nuggets fans thinking that AG is better than Kat. It’s crazy how Karl’s reputation has dropped over the years. Similar to Chuck, it’s like they think Towns does nothing but shoot 3s. Where’s his 22ppg coming from then??
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 103

Post#298 » by cmoss84 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:49 am

Question for game 2:
What adjustments does Malone make?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,655

Post#299 » by winforlose » Mon May 6, 2024 2:04 am

cmoss84 wrote:Question for game 2:
What adjustments does Malone make?

Leave Jaden and Rudy open more, double up more on the others. Less KCP, more Braun to defend Ant. Try and get Rudy and Karl in foul trouble, and more emphasis on the glass.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#300 » by TimberKat » Mon May 6, 2024 3:20 am

Guest84 wrote:I was seeing a lot of nuggets fans thinking that AG is better than Kat. It’s crazy how Karl’s reputation has dropped over the years. Similar to Chuck, it’s like they think Towns does nothing but shoot 3s. Where’s his 22ppg coming from then??

Chuck never watched a Twolves game they play the Nuggets. Towns was an all star this year and AG is not. Kenny/Chuck basically said I didn't know that is how they play

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves