ImageImageImage

Recent trade rumor (MN/PHX/MEM)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Recent trade rumor (MN/PHX/MEM) 

Post#1 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:39 pm

I was given this in a PM today. It is from rubechat so it could be crap. But the guy sites a phx station. I have tried to text some people but have got nothing. So I thought I would post it here and let you guys play with it.

Again, I am not claiming there is anything legit about this, but it could be.

http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/2343320.aspx

Trade Rumor out of Phoenix today
AM radio today in the Phoenix was running with this potential trade involving Memphis, Minnesota, and Phoenix. Rock and Manuch admitted it was a rumor they had heard out of the Suns front office about them exploring this idea, but they've explored it enough that there's names and actual picks identified.

Phoenix would get...
Mark Madsen (3/yrs @ $2.42)
Rashard McCants (2/yrs @ $1.7)
Mike Miller (3/yrs @ $8.3)

Memphis would get...
Marcus Banks (4/yrs @ $3.9)
Alando Tucker (2/yrs @ 931K)
Marko Jaric (4/yrs @ 6.05)
#1 from Phoenix via Atlanta in 2008
#2 from Minnesota in 2008 and 2009 OR possibly a future #1 from Minnesota

Minnesota would get...
Boris Diaw (4/yrs @ $9)
Eric Piatkowski (1/yr @ $1.2)
Kyle Lowry (1/yr @ @1.08)
#2 from Memphis in 2009

It's no secret Kerr wants to unload Marcus Banks contract and Diaw has fallen into D'Antoni's doghouse for good. But they gets offense in return in Miller and McCants and also get to unload salary again now that it seems they are going to resign Marion. Madsen also provides some defense and rebounding, when Amare is out.

Minnesota gets rid of Jaric's salary and gets an experienced post and quality PG to team up with Jefferson and Brewer and what they said is Michael Beasley.

Memphis is the key here as they are taking on 2 perceived horrible contracts in Banks and Jaric, but want the draft picks and Alando Tucker. Also what's interesting is they are basically getting 3 guards, but their hope is to land someone like Eric Gordon with their pick and Hibbert or Kevin Love with the Phoenix pick. Evidently Miller is becoming more of a pain than Gasol and they LOVE Tucker and some guy in Italy that is coming out supposedly (Galinari)

I still don't know why they'd take on Banks and Jaric contract and become a guard heavy team, but they must love Tucker. But evidently there's been some talks as.

MN
Lowry/Telfair/Foy
Foye/Buckner/Green
Brewer/Walker/Gomes
Jefferson/Smith
Diaw/Richard

+ potentially Beasley

Phoenix
Nash/Barbosa/Hill
Miller/McCants/Bell
Hill/Bell/Barbosa
Marion/Skinner
Stoudemire/Madsen

Still small but incredibly versatile in at the 1 - 2 - 3 spots

Memphis
Conley/Navarro/Banks
Jaric/Tucker/Jacobsen
RudyGay/Jaric/
Gasol/Swift/Warrick
Milicic/Swift

+Gordon and maybe Galinari or Hibbert.

I still don't know for sure how Memphis gets better other than getting rid of a bad attitude in Miller. But the Suns get a consistant shooter and MN gets some size and settle the PG situation for the future.

Hmmmmm....

PS - Don't kill the messenger, just saying what was on the radio today.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#2 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:45 pm

There does not appear to be any sign of this anywhere on realgm. A shock if it was really on a phx station. Let me do some more research, but right now I have no reason to believe this is legit.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,726

Post#3 » by Basti » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:46 pm

what do we want with diaw??? unless his contract is shorter than jaric (which I doubt) I don't want him here. especially if we have to give up rashad

edit: I didn't see that the lengths of the contracts are listed too
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,421

Post#4 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:46 pm

1. Yeah we get out of Jaric's contract, but Diaw's is the same length and for more money.

2. I HATE Diaw

3. It's another expiring contract we'd have to extend this offseason.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Basti » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:48 pm

getting lowry is nice, sure BUT we have our back up pg for this season in bassy... it's not worth to sacrifice shad for that
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,839

Post#6 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:50 pm

MN
Lowry/Telfair/Foy
Foye/Buckner/Green
Brewer/Walker/Gomes
Jefferson/Smith
Diaw/Richard

Diaw is supposed to be the starting center at 6'8", 215 lbs.?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Basti » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:51 pm

klomp44 wrote:3. It's another expiring contract we'd have to extend this offseason.

good point...
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 985

Post#8 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:51 pm

as much as I like the idea of dumping Jaric and Madsen, I don't really like this deal.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:54 pm

I dont really like it. Im not ready to give up on McCants and if we drafted Foye to play the 2, then we should have just kept Roy in the first place, thats basically admitting we f***ed up. I like Boris Diaw, A LOT, but he hasnt been the same since his break out year, and we already have Gomes, Brewer, Green, Cookie, Big Al, and Walker manning the 3's and 4's.

At this point Diaw is only a slight upgrade of Gomes.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Basti » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:57 pm

4ho5ive wrote:I dont really like it. Im not ready to give up on McCants and if we drafted Foye to play the 2, then we should have just kept Roy in the first place, thats basically admitting we f***ed up. I like Boris Diaw, A LOT, but he hasnt been the same since his break out year, and we already have Gomes, Brewer, Green, Cookie, Big Al, and Walker manning the 3's and 4's.

At this point Diaw is only a slight upgrade of Gomes.

and we have no nash to make him better than he actually is
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:01 pm

I am not a fan of it, simply because it pushes Al to the 5 spot. Diaw is not big enough for the 5 spot. He is a nice high post option on offense, but the defensive side would be ugly.

I still have not heard anything more about this.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#12 » by mnWI » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:02 pm

klomp44 wrote:3. It's another expiring contract we'd have to extend this offseason.

No it isn't. Lowry's team option has already been excersized for next season, and he has a team option for about 2 mil in 2009/2010 as well. He was in the same draft class as Foye, and the contract's are the same with the exception of the rookie scale dollar amount.
delux55
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#13 » by delux55 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:03 pm

Love getting lowry but hate getting Diaw
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by revprodeji » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:04 pm

^^you hear anything along these lines or is it just bunk?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,421

Post#15 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:04 pm

mnWI wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No it isn't. Lowry's team option has already been excersized for next season, and he has a team option for about 2 mil in 2009/2010 as well. He was in the same draft class as Foye, and the contract's are the same with the exception of the rookie scale dollar amount.

OK, I was just going by whats quoted in the first post
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,268

Post#16 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:07 pm

Man -- this comes up just as I'm heading out the door to catch a plane!

Diaw has a player option that actually makes it a year longer than Jaric. Word from PHO fans is that he's playing intimidated all the time now, and they really want to move him.

Boris Diaw (4/yrs @ $9)
Kyle Lowry (1/yr @ @1.0
#2 from Memphis in 2009

I don't have time to analyze it more throughly, but that looks to be roughly similar in value to me. I probably wouldn't do it, but if we did, it'd be a gamble on Diaw with that contract of his.

Jaric + Madsen = Diaw + Piatkoski (exp)
McCants = Lowry
#2 MIN = #2 MEM

I don't understand at all why MEM would do this deal. The ATL pick for Miller is OK if you're rebuilding, but they add Banks and Jaric's 4-year deals. Word from MEM media is that they are still trying to play to win, but then why trade the productive Miller?

I will say one thing that makes this deal more likely. I've seen maybe four dozen deals on the Trade Boards moving Diaw, and all but a couple botch his BYC contract, and make deals that don't work under the CBA. This one doesn't.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#17 » by mnWI » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:08 pm

revprodeji wrote:^^you hear anything along these lines or is it just bunk?

Haven't really talked to anyone yet, but I'll ask around. As I said on another board recently, Diaw was only able to play well at the center position. When matched against opposing centers, he can take them to the hoop off the dribble and finish, and he's a really good passer off the dribble as well. When matched up against small forward's and quicker power-forwards, he loses this advantage and becomes just another average player. Personally I don't feel that Diaw would fit in Minnesota with the way the team is built. If we could flip Diaw for another asset or expiring, I'd consider the deal because I love Lowry.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Basti » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:10 pm

shrink wrote:Man -- this comes up just as I'm heading out the door to catch a plane!

Diaw has a player option that actually makes it a year longer than Jaric. Word from PHO fans is that he's playing intimidated all the time now, and they really want to move him.

Boris Diaw (4/yrs @ $9)
Kyle Lowry (1/yr @ @1.0
#2 from Memphis in 2009

I don't have time to analyze it more throughly, but that looks to be roughly similar in value to me. I probably wouldn't do it, but if we did, it'd be a gamble on Diaw with that contract of his.

Jaric + Madsen = Diaw + Piatkoski (exp)
McCants = Lowry
#2 MIN = #2 MEM

I don't understand at all why MEM would do this deal. The ATL pick for Miller is OK if you're rebuilding, but they add Banks and Jaric's 4-year deals. Word from MEM media is that they are still trying to play to win, but then why trade the productive Miller?

I will say one thing that makes this deal more likely. I've seen maybe four dozen deals on the Trade Boards moving Diaw, and all but a couple botch his BYC contract, and make deals that don't work under the CBA. This one doesn't.

wait if we include a 1st it's getting even worse...
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:12 pm

BTW, is it possible the destinations are twisted around here? I know we can't afford to get Mike Miller right now, but I always thought Jaric had just enough handles to be able to run with the Suns. Nash would have the ball in his hands, and PHO knows how to take advantage of size mismatches.

Like I said, I don't understand this at all for MEM.
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:14 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote: wait if we include a 1st it's getting even worse...

I just assumed they meant the BOS 2009 1st, which should have about the same value as our 2nd, but you're right .. if its OUR future 1st, no way.

EDIT: When the wolves hire me as a consultant for contract issues and trades, I'm subcontracting to basti to read the fine print for me.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves