ImageImageImage

Recent trade rumor (MN/PHX/MEM)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 750

Post#41 » by karch34 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:55 pm

When I saw it on RubeChat I went "Blech!"

Just looks ugly all around except Phx gets rid of their two worst contracts. Only way I'd consider a deal for Diaw is if we got the Atlanta pick from Phoenix.
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#42 » by WTFsunsFTW » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9p5xr6rnsc#

All you nay sayers are just silly
TheYounGunz
Junior
And1: 0

Post#43 » by TheYounGunz » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:21 pm

I actually like Diaw but his contract sucks. Still, this is just a rumor that has no legs to it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,219

Post#44 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:42 pm

I don't know if this PHO poster is hinting at inside info, or responding to the post, but here's something about it from the PHO board.

Whether this rumor is true or not, it seems like there is definitely some action going on in the front office...(would definitely read the original blog that this rumor came from)

Apparently both Gambo & Ash and Rock & Manuch were talking suns trades today...G&A were talking about McCants/Jaric and John Salmons. R&M were talking about the trade in this post obviously.

...Hopefully there's something brewing to get rid of diaw & banks. I'd take a Jaric/McCants, Salmons or Mike Miller deal any day. Didn't Salmons drop 30+ last night??
shrink
RealGM

Post#45 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:13 pm

Would MIN fans would do this?

MIN GETS: Diaw + Banks + Piatkowski + ATL 1st

PHO GETS: McCants + Jaric + Doleac + MIN 2nd

WHY PHO MIGHT: This is Sarver. Because of Diaw's BYC, this deal gets PHO under the lux this year. They swap the ATL pick for the value of McCants right now, and they are banking on micro-fracture surgery paying off already with Amare. It moves Banks and Diaw's deal (4 and 5 years) for Jaric, who I think could be useful for them.

WHY FOR MIN: It trades McCants for a 1st, and Diaw and Banks get a different chance. However, I'm not comfortable with the extra money we'd be locked into.

Thoughts?
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#46 » by asudevil » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:19 pm

shrink wrote:Would MIN fans would do this?

MIN GETS: Diaw + Banks + Piatkowski + ATL 1st

PHO GETS: McCants + Jaric + Doleac + MIN 2nd

WHY PHO MIGHT: This is Sarver. Because of Diaw's BYC, this deal gets PHO under the lux this year. They swap the ATL pick for the value of McCants right now, and they are banking on micro-fracture surgery paying off already with Amare. It moves Banks and Diaw's deal (4 and 5 years) for Jaric, who I think could be useful for them.

WHY FOR MIN: It trades McCants for a 1st, and Diaw and Banks get a different chance. However, I'm not comfortable with the extra money we'd be locked into.

Thoughts?

Phoenix wouldnt do this solely based on the fact that this leaves them even thinner up front.

Amare/Skinner at the C, and Marion at the PF. that's it
shrink
RealGM

Post#47 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:22 pm

Doleac's a center, but I don't know how helpful he'd be. Maybe with Gomes, but I don't know if Taylor would be willing to take on that much guaranteed salary anyway. I'm curious about other people's opinion on this.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#48 » by C.lupus » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:23 pm

I don't like it. The ATL pick is nice but Diaw just doesn't seem like a good fit here. He's too small to play center next to Al. If he played the 4 (too small there, too imo) then he pushes Al to the 5. If he played the 3, then I guess that means Brewer is our SG (may or may not work). If his contract was $4-5m then OK but $9m seems like a LOT of money for someone basically out of position. Banks does nothing for me.

If someone can convince me that Diaw would be good here, I'm listening.

Could we move Diaw and Miami's pick to a third team? If we get ATL's pick then I don't care about the Miami pick.
shrink
RealGM

Post#49 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:54 pm

OK, I'm just playing now, but how's this?

MIN GIVES: Walker + Buckner
MIN GETS: Gadzuric + Banks + Villanueva + ATL 1st

MIN takes on two less-productive 4-year deals for two 2-year deals, and gets CV + the ATL pick as compensation. MIN buys out Doleac.

PHO GIVES: Diaw + Banks + Piatkowski + ATL pick
PHO GETS: Walker + Buckner

PHO uses the ATL pick to dump $37 mil in salaries. The $2 mil coming off this year probably gets them under the lux, so that saves them $4 more. Walker + Buckner expire next season. Walker's a PF averaging 11 PPG, and both vets could help now.

MIL GIVES: Gadzuric + Villanueva
MIL GETS: Diaw + Piatkoski

Gadzuric is providing nothing for his 4-year salary. Diaw could come in and start at SF for MIL. Gadz and CV need to get out of town.

I don't know - I haven't thought this through. Its a truckload of salary for MIN though, but it could be the Top 8 pick rev is looking for.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#50 » by dunkonu21 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:34 am

I'd do this deal without Villanueva...With him I dislike it...
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#51 » by deeney0 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:11 am

shrink, that trade is monstrously homerish. Wolves give Walker+Buckner, and the Wolves get back a 1st and CharlieV? You think that sounds realistic?
shrink
RealGM

Post#52 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:03 am

What does a 1st rounder go for? MIN takes on $18 mil, and three players that are unwanted by their current team. Walker and Buckner are expire in 17 months.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#53 » by deeney0 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:21 am

Phoenix is trying to win now. They're not going to trade the Atlanta pick and Diaw for two year contracts - the Kurt Thomas trade, they traded late firsts (Atlanta is still going to be in the middle of the pack) for a TE to get under the lux. This doesn't do anything similar for them. Yes, a first is at minimum what Minnesota would require to take on that salary; that doesn't mean it makes any sense for Phoenix.
shrink
RealGM

Post#54 » by shrink » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:26 pm

I was trying to replace the big with a big, stick with vets, and get them permanently under the lux, but maybe I'll go back to the drawing board. I'm not at home, so I don't have the tools I built to analyze trades. :/
deeney0
RealGM

Post#55 » by deeney0 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:50 pm

haha, I just don't the Phoenix fans will see the positives in that one is all. The rumor is much better for them, or even something simpler like McCants/Jaric for Diaw.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#56 » by 4ho5ive » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:35 pm

If we give up McCants in ANY deal, I will be extremely upset with this organization. Id much rather lose Green and I figure he would fit better in PHX. Unless a deal involves us getting back a Center prospect and a mid-high 1st rounder than im nowhere near ready to give up McCants.

Villanueva doesnt help us. Gadz is just filler, he isnt long term. Redd destroys our rebuild. Banks is more cap killer. Atl's 1st isnt likely to be THAT high. And Diaw is not the Center we need nor can he be of service at the 3/4 spots.

No to all of the above.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#57 » by deeney0 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:08 pm

We're going to be losing Green regardless, and he's got no value at the moment. Sure, McCants showed flashes last night, but he's shown flashes before. Don't get excited until we see consistancy.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#58 » by 4ho5ive » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:32 pm

I've always been a Shad-Supporter. Wether he had a 34 point game or a 0-fer game last night, I would have been in here shouting the same thing. And whether Green has any value or not, I wasnt saying substitute him into the trade, I was saying if we were to make a deal, to anyone, I would rather Green go than McCants.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves