ImageImageImage

Trading with Clippers

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Trading with Clippers 

Post#1 » by slinky » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Maybe this has been talked to death already somewhere else, but what do you guys think of the clippers as trading partners. I think they have a few interesting assets and given todays wiretap/LAtimes article it sounds like they might be thinking about rebuilding again.

I mentioned this in a couple of previous threads, but maggette might be an interesting asset to acquire. I understand we dont have a need for him, but i still think it would benefit us to acquire him, it seems as if he expires after next year(unless there is an option in there). He would bring a lot of value for us in the offseason because he would be one of those rare large expirings who also has playing value.

The clippers have assets...

Our Future Pick
Their future likely lottery picks
2008 Lottery Pick
Maggette
Livingston
Thornton
Expiring Cassel(no chance but def. a valuable asset)
Brevin Knight
Sofocles Schortsianitis(his trade rights)
And multiple small expirings

And of course, the less likely
Brand
Kaman
Thornton
Livingston

Are any of our guys a good fit for their team...(i dont know anything about their offense and defense philosophy)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,540

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:44 pm

First off, you have Livingston and Thornton in both lists.

Second off, I think Craig would fit well over there. Also, I am a fan of Quinton Ross. I think he would be a good vet to have here. I would trade Craig for him (not straight up) if we are content with Gomes at PF
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,540

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:48 pm

Oops, forgot to say Brevin Knight would fit awesome here too.

What about Ross and Knight for Smith and Telfair (plus maybe a pick coming here)? It may seem like we're giving up a lot of value, but I think these two are pieces we should add and I am willing to do this trade.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#4 » by revprodeji » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 pm

considering both teams are rebuilding I doubt they make sense as a trade partner. Unless the front office feels like Jim Peterson feels that this project is only a 2 year project and we are closer than we look.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,358

Post#5 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:11 pm

I think finding a trade with another rebuilding team is often difficult. We put more value on the same things (like picks, prospects, cap relief) and devalue the same things (current production). Trades aren't impossible, because we may have players that simply fit a little better on the other team, but a lot of the wiggle room that makes a trade mutually beneficial is eliminated.

Some of our assets that might have value on another team, like Craig Smith or Ryan Gomes, may simply be a rental for the rest of the season to the Clippers, and they may be unwilling to give as much as a contending team. If there was a way to offer them something to get something for the future (like our pick back), I'd be all for it. I think Maggette would simply opt out if he was traded here.

I haven't seen much of the Clippers this year, but how about this?

MIN GETS: Shaun Livingston, Dan Dickau, MIN protected 1st

LAC GETS: Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, BOS 2009 1st

Why for us? We give Livingston a look in practice, and pay Dickau to finish the season for us. The jewel is getting our future pick back.

Why for them? Telfair may be a fit out there when Cassell is gone, and they can try him out now, and have his rights for next year. Gerald Green isn't staying here, but he could keep fans in the stands, particularly if they trade Maggette. The BOS 1st is icing. They save $1 mil as well.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves