MIN/NJ

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,636

MIN/NJ 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 am

OK guys, I was watching the TNT guys talk about how NJ needs to trade Kidd and go into rebuilding mode. I guess I had to see if something worked with us, and it did.

Incoming: Jason Kidd, Josh Boone, Antoine Wright
Outgoing: Randy Foye, Theo Ratliff, Antoine Walker

Why for NJ: They start rebuilding mode by acquiring one of the biggest expiring contracts. They also get Foye, a New Jersey native, to run the point. Antoine Walker is an expiring next year and was needed to match salaries.

Why for MIN: Can you imagine Kidd passing to Brewer, McCants, etc in the open court? Josh Boone could be that defensive player to put alongside Jefferson. Wright is an expiring and we could test him out to see if we want to keep him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheYounGunz
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by TheYounGunz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:54 am

Looks like a stop gap to me. I'd rather go with the current plan, building with youth. I would imagine Kidd would be pretty upset about coming to Minnesota.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:32 am

Ew
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 am

I liked your idea in the Trade Forum however Klomp and I saw NJ declined so i toyed with it a little bit

Boone, Wright, Collins

for

Craig, GG, Buckner, Doleac

They get the inside scorer they lack in Smith and Doleac who is also an expiring to possibly help to sign back Smith if they like him. They get out of Collins' contract for the cheaper Buckner, both expire after next season. And it seems NJ fans hate Collins anyway. We swap SG's, both may be a better fit in their new homes. They rent exciting Green, we rent Defensive Wright.

We get the Boone to match up with the Jefferson, Wright is a young D minded Guard that we can get a feel for, who is expiring this year at just a couple hunnid thou more than Green and Collins who will be 6+ mil off the cap after next season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,636

Post#5 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:27 am

Hmmm, I just saw Boone is shooting 34% on free throws AND JUST AIR BALLED ONE.

Anyways, after I thought of it, I went on 2k just for fun to see what I could get. Because Boone is only a 67 compared to Smiths 74, I was able to get more. Alot more, actually. I ended up with a trade of Smith and Jaric for Boone, Collins, and a 1st. Not bad.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:46 am

Yea im watching it too, but they keep hacking him and he actually started to respond to the challenge. somewhat.
scottyo50
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#7 » by scottyo50 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:55 am

how long does kidds contract run? if it expires around a good FA class, we could have some serious cheddar to spend
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,403

Post#8 » by shrink » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:48 am

Yesterday, I suggested Craig Smith + Doleac for Magloire + lotto-protected 1st, and got no real response. I agree that Craig Smith would be the scorer underneath they need, and he pairs well their big centers. I wouldn;t mind taking a peek at Magloire either.

As for Kidd, its irrational, but I can't get past the wife-beating, so I'd say "no thanks. I'd be happy to use out productive assets to help broker a deal that sends Kidd to a contender that can use him more than we can,
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#9 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:54 am

NO way in hell you trade Foye, especially after waiting all season so far for this mf'er to get healthy.

We need to see how he does the rest of this year, next year, etc.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#10 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:08 am

I'm sorry, but what in the hell...
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#11 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:19 am

uh...REBUILDING!!! I don't want Kidd on this team!!! Maybe last season, but he has no place on our roster. I would absolutely not trade Foye for him.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#12 » by C.lupus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 pm

My first response was "we needed to do this when KG was here, not now when we are rebuilding". But after thinking about it a bit, it's not too bad. Kidd is a $21 m expiring next year which, as scottyo50 said, would give us some serious money to spend in 09-10. If we drafted Rose, he would have an excellent teacher to learn from for one season. Basically we'd be hitching our PG wagon to Rose instead of Foye and we'd have some real financial flexibility in a couple years, though we'd be hurting next year. Meh.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,762

Post#13 » by Basti » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 pm

/but aquiring kidd means (or should at least) more wins for us and takes the chances to draft rose.

the only thing that really entices me is the big expiring next year. oh and do you know how bad kidd is shooting this season? I don't know his numbers but watching many box scores and seeing him shooting quite often 3 of 9 or 4 of 13 and so on. it can't be more than 40%

edit: his fg% is at 36%... wow... just wow
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 pm

The original deal, at a minimum, needs to include something like Buckner for Magloire's expiring.

We simply can't afford to use up all of Ratliff's expiring for next year if we'd like to bring back anyone and sign our picks.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#15 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 pm

No offense here, but this idea really stinks. I mean REALLy stinks. Kidd passing to Brewer and McCants? I could imagine, but pretty much 3/4 of the NBA has better wing players for Kidd to pass to.

Kidd wants to win. He would HATE coming here in this deal. He would probably threat to retire in this scenario. Our team would not be better than NJ is now and we'd be in the West.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 pm

Once again, I propose...

4ho5ive wrote:I liked your idea in the Trade Forum however Klomp and I saw NJ declined so i toyed with it a little bit

Boone, Wright, Collins

for

They get the inside scorer they lack in Smith and Doleac who is also an expiring to possibly help to sign back Smith if they like him. They get out of Collins' contract for the cheaper Buckner, both expire after next season. And it seems NJ fans hate Collins anyway. We swap SG's, both may be a better fit in their new homes. They rent exciting Green, we rent Defensive Wright.

We get the Boone to match up with the Jefferson, Wright is a young D minded Guard that we can get a feel for, who is expiring this year at just a couple hunnid thou more than Green and Collins who will be 6+ mil off the cap after next season.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:No offense here, but this idea really stinks. I mean REALLy stinks. Kidd passing to Brewer and McCants? I could imagine, but pretty much 3/4 of the NBA has better wing players for Kidd to pass to.

you forgot about Greg Buckner though
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#18 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 pm

4ho- that latter trade is just trading apples for apples. And I don't think NJ does it. Essentially a Boone for Smith swap.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#19 » by Gunny » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm

If the Wolves give up Foye to New Jersey, they better demand Sean Williams in any deal back.
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:57 pm

4ho5ive wrote:I liked your idea in the Trade Forum however Klomp and I saw NJ declined so i toyed with it a little bit

Boone, Wright, Collins

for

I really liked this deal, and I think its fair, and while it could help both teams, I don't see it happening.

The problem is NJN's payroll. If they do nothing, they will be at $59.4 mil with eight players. This deal would save them an extra $3.4 mil, which could be used valuably. However, if NJN is straining to put together a full roster under the lux, the suddenly successful Josh Boone's cheap paycheck, at $1.2 mil, would be very handy.

That said, there is a ton to like in this deal. We could afford the $3.4 mil, Collins would get more run at center than Buckner at swingman, and locking in a future asset like Boone would be big for us. NJN moves some players they don't want, and I think in their system, Craig Smith can produce like Boone offensively next to Sean Williams.

What I think would make this work is if it were a three-teamer. There is a great likelyhood that NJN will have some need for the $3.4 mil, because they may try to add a star to their line-up, and go for it right now. MIN could help form that bridge, absorbing Collins deal and sending off a couple expirings to the third team, and Craigers could help NJN this year. For example, I could see this working in a Jermaine O'Neal deal, where Larry Bird refuses to take Collins for 2 years.

I like Josh Boone, and while I think Craig Smith is worth a late first there, I also think Craig is worth josh Boone plus $3.4 mil.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves