ImageImageImage

Pre-Bulls Games talk with a Chicago-based Wolves fan

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Pre-Bulls Games talk with a Chicago-based Wolves fan 

Post#1 » by TrentTuckerForever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Hello from the Windy City... it's been awhile but I'm happy to have had a few minutes in the last week to pay attention to our Woofies. 3 of 4, and losing a nail-biter against KG in Boston is something to get excited about. Since I'm in Chicago (and don't have NBA ticket) I haven't seen anything but highlights this year. A couple of questions:

1) Seems they got a real lift playing Brewer and Green (over Jaric and Buckner) at the wings against the Nets. True?

2) Doesn't the performance of Big Al just drive home how bad the rest of this roster is/was when KG was here? I don't want to turn this into another anti-McHale rant, but still...

3) Is Telfair turning into a passable option at the point? He's not setting the world on fire but he seems to be responding well to big minutes. Assist to turnover ratio is improved, and he's still only 22.

4) I have seen the dysfunction that is the Bulls a bit this year, and I think we're playing them at a good time. They're banged up (Duhon, Gordon and Deng will probably all be out Tuesday) and they haven't responded all that well to the coaching change. Still a team of nice pieces, but no centerpiece. Anyone want to go out on a limb and predict a home-and-home sweep of the Bulls?

I hate to get in all my Wolves watching in a week, but this is it for this year.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Re: Pre-Bulls Games talk with a Chicago-based Wolves fan 

Post#2 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:23 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:1) Seems they got a real lift playing Brewer and Green (over Jaric and Buckner) at the wings against the Nets. True?

I'd go with false for Gerald. He hit the two big threes, yes, but at most the canceled out all of the negatives he contributed - bad D, wasted offensive possessions, terrible fouls.

I'd go for true with Corey in the 4th. When he's hitting his shots and getting to the line, he's a real asset.

TrentTuckerForever wrote:2) Doesn't the performance of Big Al just drive home how bad the rest of this roster is/was when KG was here? I don't want to turn this into another anti-McHale rant, but still...

And how little playing time all the non-Wolves outside of Ricky got (Blount's only playing cause Shaq and Zo are hurt), and Ricky's playing badly on a bad team.

TrentTuckerForever wrote:3) Is Telfair turning into a passable option at the point? He's not setting the world on fire but he seems to be responding well to big minutes. Assist to turnover ratio is improved, and he's still only 22.

I think so, and RSW saying that when Foye returns he's going to be about 50/50 PG/SG probably bodes well for that.

TrentTuckerForever wrote:4) I have seen the dysfunction that is the Bulls a bit this year, and I think we're playing them at a good time. They're banged up (Duhon, Gordon and Deng will probably all be out Tuesday) and they haven't responded all that well to the coaching change. Still a team of nice pieces, but no centerpiece. Anyone want to go out on a limb and predict a home-and-home sweep of the Bulls?

Could be. It's going to be a fun two games. Despite everything, I still like the Bulls for one of the last two spots in the East.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#3 » by TrentTuckerForever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 pm

^When IS Foye supposed to be back? I know that they shouldn't rush him, but I haven't heard anything definitive.

As far as the Bulls getting the 8th spot... I dunno. I haven't heard or seen any evidence of them getting on a consistent track. They're distracted by their contract situations (Deng, Gordon) and are built around players who are great supporting guys (Smith, Nocioni, Hinrich, Wallace when he isn't hurt) but without a go-to guy. They're 8 games under .500 and have already changed coaches. They could make a trade, but beyond that it's hard to see where the impetus for a good run would come from, IMO.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#4 » by karch34 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Foye is practicing, but nothing definitive has been said for a date. I think we're optimistically hoping beginning of Feb, barring any set backs. Right now he's trying to get his body to where it would've been after training camp.

I think this is the right time to be playing Chicago. I was listening to the Score out of Chicago the other day and it seems like it's imploding. I think Gordon and Deng have been distracted the whole season by the Kobe trade talks and their own contract status. Not sure if Gordon thought there was going to be more negotiating and the offer from Paxson was take it or leave it, but he's not going to find nearly the $ he turned down this offseason. I still think Deng has go-to guy potential, but he's really regressed this year after having a breakout type season last year. Hinrich has been brutal and Duhon has been a better fit, but is really designed to be a backup defensive PG more than a starter.

Wallace gives them some D, but he's so offensively limited that they need a scoring PF and Smith and Thomas haven't filled that role.

If no Gordon, Duhon, and Deng for at least 1 of the games is likely, I definitely think it's a sweep the way we're playing. I don't think they have enough without those guys if we can prevent Nocioni from going off.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#5 » by deeney0 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Foye is any day now - probably right after the all-star break at the absolute latest.

Chicago may be 8 games under .500, but they're only 1 game out of the playoffs in the horrible eastern conference. I don't like the Pacers or the Bucks down the stretch, it's almost Chicago by default.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves