ImageImageImage

Drew Neitzel

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Re: Drew Neitzel 

Post#21 » by mnWI » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 pm

Nope. Lucas and my personal choice Pooh Jeter are also possibilities, but I'm talking about a different player.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,608

Post#22 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:43 pm

mnWI wrote:Pretty quick to jump to conclusions, aren't we? I happen to think Love is a very good man to man defender in the post, and he showed great improvement as a help defender during the last half of the Pac 10 seasons. People don't want to realize this because they don't see Love getting a high number of blocks, but he denies the post very well, uses his body to hold his position, and rotates properly from the help side. A shot-blocker off the bench would be a nice addition, but Love and Jefferson will work out much better than people think.

Also, if you have two guys who can rebound like Love or Jefferson, opposing teams are generally going to be limited to one shot attempt per possession anyway. When you adjust the numbers for pace, Love rebounded the ball at a higher rate than any player in the country including Michael Beasley.

Love might be a good man defender against most power forwards but he's going to have problems against the quicker ones just like Jefferson. He's also going to have problems against bigger centers, just like Jefferson. Our frontcourt has no defensive versatility. I have hard time believe Love will be a good help defender at 6'9 without much length and average athleticism.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 759

Post#23 » by karch34 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:11 am

mnWI wrote:
klomp44 wrote:Could it be one of the Flowers?

No, I'm talking about some who has a chance at making the Timberwolves opening day roster rather than someone who might be a last minute invite to the summer league roster. Longar Longar is already on the list, and Jonte will be asked if a couple others pass.

Longar Longar interests me more than Blake Ahearn, Bryce Taylor and Kaniel Dickens, so I'm taking that as positive news.

I'd love Jonte, but the makeup of the team doesn't make sense for Jonte to even be invited.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#24 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:23 am

mnWI wrote:

No, I'm talking about some who has a chance at making the Timberwolves opening day roster rather than someone who might be a last minute invite to the summer league roster. Longar Longar is already on the list, and Jonte will be asked if a couple others pass.

And the trade was a huge steal for Minnesota. Mayo will struggle to beat people off the dribble in the NBA, and with the way this team spaces the floor now, they are just a slasher away from being a very good team. They really need to find someone to take advantage of the newly opened driving lanes though.

Wouldn't have Douglas-Roberts been a great fit as the slasher we need? Or are we just hoping Brewer tightens up his dribble and fills that void?
mnWI
General Manager

Post#25 » by mnWI » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 pm

karch34 wrote:
mnWI wrote:

Longar Longar interests me more than Blake Ahearn, Bryce Taylor and Kaniel Dickens, so I'm taking that as positive news.

I'd love Jonte, but the makeup of the team doesn't make sense for Jonte to even be invited.

I can't believe anyone would be interested in Longar over two guys who have a legit shot at sticking in the NBA in Dickens and Ahearn.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,608

Post#26 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Kaniel Dickens is already 30 years old.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 759

Post#27 » by karch34 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm

mnWI wrote:I can't believe anyone would be interested in Longar over two guys who have a legit shot at sticking in the NBA in Dickens and Ahearn.

I'm not saying those guys don't have a legitimate shot at sticking, but I guess I'm more interested in the 6'11" guy as I still see us needing help upfront.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#28 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:33 pm

I was happy to hear Neitzel would be joining our team and he's got a decent enough shot to make a roster. He can run offense and he's a good shooter, naturally its his defense that will determine if he makes it or not. I think he'll make it on some team though even if it's not ours. He's a ballsy player.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#29 » by mnWI » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Kaniel Dickens is already 30 years old.

Yep. And he has a very NBA-ready skill that could benefit the team.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#30 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:37 pm

If Charles Dickens were still alive he'd be 196 years old.
Wolfsbane
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#31 » by Wolfsbane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:06 pm

mnWI wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Kaniel Dickens is already 30 years old.

Yep. And he has a very NBA-ready skill that could benefit the team.

DX report on Neitzel says . . . evidence of the impeccable decision making that the senior possesses. His basketball smarts don’t stop there, however, as they are also on full display with the way he comes off screens when moving off the ball, and the way he uses picks when he has the ball in his hands as well.
Is this a new theme for McHale and the Wolves?? The biggest hype on Love is his Basketball Smarts and the little things he brings to the game. Miller is a bit the same way. Seems like we are going 'old-school' on the latest players.
Who is doing player personnel . . . McHale or Sid??
mnWI
General Manager

Post#32 » by mnWI » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:If Charles Dickens were still alive he'd be 196 years old.

touche
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#33 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Dickens is short for Richardens
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#34 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Really?...I always thought it was slang for Phallusens
Wolfsbane
Ballboy

Post#35 » by Wolfsbane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:46 pm

mnWI wrote:. . .and they are working on another name that will be well received on this board.

Top undrafted players

1. Gary Forbes, UMass. . . the star of the Orlando pre-draft camp, scoring 30 points in one game and dominating in all facets of the game on a consistent basis.

2. Davon Jefferson, USC Based on his elite level athleticism, there's no way Jefferson should go underafted,

3. DeMarcus Nelson, Duke. . . . the best player on an elite team last season. He was a four-year player for one of the nation’s most prestigious programs. He played well in Orlando and tested out exceptionally in the Combine. But nonetheless, Nelson — a freak athlete with one of the most decorated high school careers in California history — failed to hear his name called on draft day. He certainly was one of the best 60 players available and will get every opportunity to make an NBA roster as a free agent this summer.

4. Will Daniels, Rhode Island. . . was projected to go as high as No. 27 on NBADraft.Net’s mock draft.

5. Jaycee Carroll, Utah State. . . a lights-out 3-point shooter who shot 49.8 percent from deep and averaged 22.2 points per game last season for the Aggies. Like Nelson, he’ll get a shot this summer.

6. Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State . . . the ability to play both the 1 and 2 are a rare commodity, especially when they have tremendous strength and quickness that could provide the foundation to becoming an elite defender.

7. Bryce Taylor, Oregon. . .arguably Oregon’s best player last season, but his 6-foot-4 frame makes him a undersized at the next level. His scoring ability, length and athleticism give him a chance

8. Reggie Williams. . . nation's back to back scoring champ had a solid Orlando predraft camp.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#36 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:07 pm

I've heard too many horror stories about Jefferson; he seems antithetical to the environment of strong work ethics we're trying to instill
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#37 » by Krapinsky » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Wolfsbane wrote:
mnWI wrote:. . .and they are working on another name that will be well received on this board.

Top undrafted players

1. Gary Forbes, UMass. . . the star of the Orlando pre-draft camp, scoring 30 points in one game and dominating in all facets of the game on a consistent basis.

2. Davon Jefferson, USC Based on his elite level athleticism, there's no way Jefferson should go underafted,

3. DeMarcus Nelson, Duke. . . . the best player on an elite team last season. He was a four-year player for one of the nation’s most prestigious programs. He played well in Orlando and tested out exceptionally in the Combine. But nonetheless, Nelson — a freak athlete with one of the most decorated high school careers in California history — failed to hear his name called on draft day. He certainly was one of the best 60 players available and will get every opportunity to make an NBA roster as a free agent this summer.

4. Will Daniels, Rhode Island. . . was projected to go as high as No. 27 on NBADraft.Net’s mock draft.

5. Jaycee Carroll, Utah State. . . a lights-out 3-point shooter who shot 49.8 percent from deep and averaged 22.2 points per game last season for the Aggies. Like Nelson, he’ll get a shot this summer.

6. Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State . . . the ability to play both the 1 and 2 are a rare commodity, especially when they have tremendous strength and quickness that could provide the foundation to becoming an elite defender.

7. Bryce Taylor, Oregon. . .arguably Oregon’s best player last season, but his 6-foot-4 frame makes him a undersized at the next level. His scoring ability, length and athleticism give him a chance

8. Reggie Williams. . . nation's back to back scoring champ had a solid Orlando predraft camp.

I would love to give Jamont Gordon a shot. Word is his on-court demeanor isn't the best though.

Actually I'd like to give any of those players a shot, although I'm not too familiar with Carroll. Whst posish? We probably don't need Jefferson or Daniels though as long as we resign Gomes.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#38 » by horaceworthy » Tue Jul 1, 2008 12:52 am

We already got Bryce Taylor for the summer league team.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#39 » by deeney0 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:48 am

So how do the Wolves end up with a guy like Blake Ahearn on their summer team? Why isn't he on the Heat's summer league team, I was under the impression he played pretty well for them on his 10 day contracts. If not them, there's probably at least a half a dozen other teams who'd love to give him a shot based on how well his NBDL season went. Is it a money thing? Is it location, guys like Ahearn and Neitzel hoping to stay in the midwest?
Wolfsbane
Ballboy

Post#40 » by Wolfsbane » Tue Jul 1, 2008 4:46 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:I hope it's Gary Forbes

If it can be believed. . . .
Gary Forbes, UMass: Atlantic 10 Player of the Year and Honorable Mention All-American Gary Forbes will play for the Washington Wizards in the NBA Summer League.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves