ImageImageImage

Timberwolves Vegas Summer League Thread (roster included)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Timberwolves Vegas Summer League Thread (roster included) 

Post#341 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Brewer most certainly is not better than Rashad McCants. Not even hypnotoad can convince me of that.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#342 » by prefuse73 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Good point. You certainly don't want everyone on the floor demanding the ball. But with that said I think part of Miller and Love being on the team is to help prevent double teams on Al or at least make teams pay for them. With Brewer on offense his defender likely helps with the double team. Of course that could actually cause Brewer's offense to look better.

I do think that Brewer isn't just going to be given minutes or a starting job without him becoming at least competent on offense.[/quote]

Good point about Brewers man leaving him to double. I do believe he should earn his minutes...but I believe he will earn those minutes by being able to casue havoc defensively. I just don't think it is wise to start McCants and Miller. Perhaps Gomes should start if Brewer is as bad as devilz seems to think.

To bring it back to topic.. Brewer had a great 2nd game going 7-10 from the field and scoring 19pts. From those who watched both games...what did brew crew do differently in that game that he wasn't able to do in the Blazer game? Is it just a function of less playing time...or what?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#343 » by deeney0 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:59 pm

You think Shad is better on defense? Why?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#344 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:06 pm

better player, not better defender. And his defense isn't that far behind Brewer. He's impossible to post up, he just fouls way too much. Yet his foul rate isn't that far behind Brewer's. There defensive PER is almost identical, McCants is a touch better. But offensively its not contest. Rashad just needs better shot selection.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#345 » by Wingman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Apparently Rashad reads RealGM. There are a few good interviews here.
http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/th ... _blog.html
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#346 » by mayorhoiberg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:51 pm

What else was in the Rashad interview? No speakers here at work computer.

And I'm with devilzsidewalk here.

Except Brewer's man wouldn't leave him to double; he'd just not guard Corey at all. We'd be 5 on 4 defensively at all times. Best starting lineup we have is Foye/McCants/Miller/Love/Jefferson

OR if Gomes stays

Foye/Miller/Gomes/Love/Jefferson

both of those lineups stretch the floor ridiculously. with 3 40%+ 3 point shooters all over the court and Al in the post, Kevin Love can do whatever he wants to. The lineup with McCants in it gets the edge for this reason, but the Gomes one would be good as well.

My biggest fear is that this PG we're [supposedly] pursuing in a trade will be of starting caliber, which would be the worst thing for the lineup at this point.

Wittman would surely put this lineup out there: PG/Foye/Miller/Love/Jefferson, and Foye would get smoshed.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#347 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm not sure if Shad being the better player is the most important point.

First off, starting and getting more minutes are two different things. McHale, one of the top 50 players of all time, flourished in the sixth man role for years in Boston. And he was on the floor at the end when it counted. Asking McCants to do the same thing is not disrespecting him at all. It's all about strategy.

When I look at a starting five of Foye/McCants/Miller/Love/Jefferson I see plenty of offense and questionable defense. I see Phoenix Suns Part Deux. Good team, fun as heck to watch, no championships. I also see a potential second team of Telfair/Brewer/Cardinal/Smith/Collins. That unit would be lucky to score ten points per game.

Starting Brewer adds some sorely lacking defense and hustle to the first team and McCants adds some sorely lacking offense to the second team.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,650

Post#348 » by jpatrick » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm

I really can't see McCants starting. Partially because of his defense and partially because he really does disrupt the flow of the game. Unless he learns to move the ball instead of holding it everytime it touches his hands, he will kill the flow. In addition, he is NOT a better finisher in the open court than Brewer. Brewer is probably the best open court player we have (last night was a bad example, but look at the game before). I agree that his man will leave him to double but with other shooters on the floor he should be able to cut through the lane and have Love and Jefferson (if he improves his passing) find him.

In the end, I think Gomes/Miller start if Gomes is back and Brewer/Miller start if Gomes is not back. By the way, I hope I'm wrong and McCants has learned to play defense and move the ball because outside of Jefferson, he is the most talented player on this team.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#349 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Wingman wrote:Apparently Rashad reads RealGM. There are a few good interviews here.
http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/th ... _blog.html

he called Jason Collins "Jarron Collins"

lolololol
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#350 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:07 pm

jpatrick wrote:I really can't see McCants starting. Partially because of his defense and partially because he really does disrupt the flow of the game. Unless he learns to move the ball instead of holding it everytime it touches his hands, he will kill the flow. In addition, he is NOT a better finisher in the open court than Brewer.

Thats so untrue, McCants has a good handle and can finish with both hands and you're pretty much screwed if you're back pedaling against Rashad in the open court. I've never seen McCants lose his handle on a free fast break to the basket, take off 3 feet too early and miss a dunk against the front of the rim.

C.lupus wrote:
When I look at a starting five of Foye/McCants/Miller/Love/Jefferson I see plenty of offense and questionable defense. I see Phoenix Suns Part Deux. Good team, fun as heck to watch, no championships. I also see a potential second team of Telfair/Brewer/Cardinal/Smith/Collins. That unit would be lucky to score ten points per game.

who subs their 5 bench players at the same time?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 739

Post#351 » by karch34 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:12 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:What else was in the Rashad interview? No speakers here at work computer.

And I'm with devilzsidewalk here.

Except Brewer's man wouldn't leave him to double; he'd just not guard Corey at all. We'd be 5 on 4 defensively at all times. Best starting lineup we have is Foye/McCants/Miller/Love/Jefferson

OR if Gomes stays

Foye/Miller/Gomes/Love/Jefferson

both of those lineups stretch the floor ridiculously. with 3 40%+ 3 point shooters all over the court and Al in the post, Kevin Love can do whatever he wants to. The lineup with McCants in it gets the edge for this reason, but the Gomes one would be good as well.

My biggest fear is that this PG we're [supposedly] pursuing in a trade will be of starting caliber, which would be the worst thing for the lineup at this point.

Wittman would surely put this lineup out there: PG/Foye/Miller/Love/Jefferson, and Foye would get smoshed.

Very good post. I never really thought of that with the downside of a starting caliber PG acquisition. I really think that right now if we keep Gomes a Foye/Miller/Gomes/Love/Jefferson lineup would be great. Whether he likes it or whether it's the best fit, having someone like McCants off the bench is a nice scoring punch.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#352 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:who subs their 5 bench players at the same time?

I'm not saying they would all be out on the floor at the same time. Just making the point that it will be difficult to win games when the bench is outscored every night.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#353 » by mayorhoiberg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:who subs their 5 bench players at the same time?

The Blazers SHOULD do that next year.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#354 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 pm

lol, I'm watching the Wolves-Blazers SL game...I like the color commentator talking about Cookie saying "Frank Smith the...the Bull. Upset at himself there."
collin_k41
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#355 » by collin_k41 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:42 pm

That's awesome that Shaddy reads realgm.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#356 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Brewer is so bad at lay-ups...
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,723

Post#357 » by Basti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:26 pm

collin_k41 wrote:That's awesome that Shaddy reads realgm.

Hi Rashad! How are u?
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#358 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Pops is just so damn fun to watch. Good or bad, he's just a spectacle.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#359 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:36 pm

I wish we could keep Pops, he offers a different dimension that none of our other bigs provide
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#360 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Kevin Love for summer league MVP?
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves