ImageImageImage

Timberwolves Vegas Summer League Thread (roster included)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

All Day
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: Timberwolves Vegas Summer League Thread (roster included) 

Post#421 » by All Day » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:56 am

theGreatRC wrote:Thanks All Day, watching Blazers-Wolves.

np

As for all of the Pops talk, I had a feeling this exact talk would eventually come up when I first saw he signed on to play with the Wovles SL squad. I saw and read a lot on Pops back in his GW days where he was a fan fave.

Players of his nature are deceiving in the summer league or against lower quality competition because the use of his physicality and athleticism allow him to dominate mostly inexperienced(in terms of NBA) players. He's 24 and got a late start playing basketball so he's still learning in all facets of the game. Yes, he can dunk (I mean he can realllllly dunk), but those won't come so easily against NBA caliber big men so he's really limited offensively without a consistent shot outside a few feet from the rim. As for his rebounding and shot-blocking, I must say they have improved from the last I saw.

Given time, I think he could be a NBA rotation player, but I just think he has a longer way to go than it appears from his brief appearance in SL action. I really like the guy and want him to succeed, but he needs to put in more work, learn some post moves, and work on his jumpshot to keep him in the NBA if/when (more likely when) he gets a contract.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#422 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 am

Just got done watching the Blazers-Wolves game, about to watch the Laker-Wolves.

What I noticed is that Kevin Love is a quick decision maker who wastes no time on the court whether it be a pass, shot, screen, or anything else that will help the team. One play in mind was at the beginning of the second half, The PG(Forgot his name) threw a pass to Kevin Love, and in a blink of an eye, the ball was beautifully bounced to Chris Richard who laid it in. Kevin didn't even think, he already knew what to do before he got the ball, and that is a player we need; someone who knows what to do on the court at all times.

What I didn't like is his inability to get his shot off against bigger, bulkier defenders. Yeah, he got offensive rebounds, but he won't be getting 10orpg his career and he needs to be able to finish on bigger defenders. I do like his footwork in the posts, particularly his up and under moves similar to another big man we have in Minny.

Corey stunk this game. It seems the only thing that got better to me so far was his handle, and even that didn't impress me. His defense was still solid, but Brewer is still playing in another gear that he just can't handle right now, he needs to press the breaks and go the speed limit if you know what i'm saying.

Craig was Craig, Richard played solid, I like Pops though, high energy guy who plays above the rim and wants to intimidate his opponent in the post. Too bad we are loaded at the 4, otherwise I would be begging for this guy to be signed.

Going to watch the Laker-Wolves game and give my opinion on that one too.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
BMF Jet Jaguar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#423 » by BMF Jet Jaguar » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:30 am

pops>richards.
Kobe wrote:Wasn't much of a battle tonight. I kicked his ass tonight.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,984

Post#424 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Info on the Pops buyout clause:

Matt Watson: I was just reading that you signed with a team in Spain. What's going on with that?
Pops: I signed with a team in Spain a few days ago but they gave me an NBA out until July 22nd, so that's why I'm playing with the Timberwolves. If I get signed or picked up by an NBA team, they won't have to buy me out over there. I have until the 22nd to get signed. Hopefully that works out. If not, I have no problem going back to Spain.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/07/20/its- ... n-the-nba/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#425 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 pm

sad to say, but Pops should be on the team before Chris Richard. Richard looks more solid than ever, but extremely susceptible to gravity. He should've spent more time in the offseason getting lighter on his feet
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#426 » by deeney0 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:40 pm

So I guess we'll know in 24 hours if there's a spot for Pops.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 696

Post#427 » by karch34 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:17 pm

I'd rather go Pops over Richard too if it came down to it. I'd hope he showed enough to warrant a contract from management.

As far as Love I think he does have the tools. I think he'll struggle this year, but at the same time we have to remember that he's only 19. Most of the young PFs that came into the game at that age had a learning curve of improving defense, matching up against bigger more physical players, etc. I do think his BB IQ and footwork will help with a lot of that initially until his body starts to develop. He's lost weight which helps his athleticism (looks much better than in college) so hopefully he can start putting on some muscle as well.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#428 » by deeney0 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Pops/Richard might not even have to be a choice if they cut Booth loose.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 696

Post#429 » by karch34 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 pm

deeney0 wrote:Pops/Richard might not even have to be a choice if they cut Booth loose.

True. That would give us Al, Love, Collins, Smith, Pops, Richard, and Madsen up front which is doable. Figure Madsen probably doesn't see the floor. I think they'd have to really want Richard back though .
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,778

Post#430 » by shrink » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:19 am

Top Ten Players from Summer League

1. Bayless
2. Love
3. Anthony Randolph
4. Donta Green
5. DJ Augustine
6. Pops
7. Elton Brown
8. OJ Mayo
9. Speights
10. Hickson