Re: The "Fire Randy Wittman" Thread 

Post#21 » by D' Winner Within » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:40 pm

How about fire Kevin McHale?
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#22 » by the_bruce » Sat Nov 8, 2008 3:58 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I'm starting to understand Worm Guts' prediction that the Jefferson/Love frontcourt won't work because they're too weak defensively and that one of them will have to be traded eventually. Either that or the Wolves will need lock-down defenders on the perimeter because right now guys beat their man off the dribble at will, then score at the rim without any interior defensive presence at all. Thats why the Wolves are repeatedly giving up 30+ points a quarter

I've been of this mindset for awhile. I think the wolves can keep and play both love\jefferson, but we need much better backcourt play. Plus maybe a 3 that can play some help defense\block shots ala AK47 and J.smith.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#23 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:39 pm

so far, the wizards, knicks, and sactown only allow more points than we do.

Time to get on the phone with Charlotte. Miller/Foye/Collins for Wallace/Felton/Nazr.

huge defensive upgrade and actually an offensive upgrade too
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#24 » by TrentTuckerForever » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:54 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I think the bigger problem is that nobody on the team plays defense.

This isn't the coach's fault? How about the lack of style or identity on the other end of the floor? They need a coach, post haste.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,706

Post#25 » by Basti » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:55 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:so far, the wizards, knicks, and sactown only allow more points than we do.

Time to get on the phone with Charlotte. Miller/Foye/Collins for Wallace/Felton/Nazr.

huge defensive upgrade and actually an offensive upgrade too

if it would also mean RWS is fired DO IT NOW!!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#26 » by C.lupus » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:59 pm

This isn't really rocket science.

Step 1. Pick a style of play.
Step 2. Pick a coach that fits that style.
Step 3. Acquire a collection of players that fit that style.

Why can't the FO figure this out?????
TrentTuckerForever
Starter

Post#27 » by TrentTuckerForever » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:26 pm

^Actually, I think McHale has picked a style (low-post, inside-out on O) and some players that fit that style (Jefferson and Love and can play on the low block. McCants also has an underrated post game. Foye, Miller, McCants and Gomes are good shooters who can play off post guys.)

Problem is McHale skipped number 2 above... he's picked a coach who's a member of Taylor's good ol' boys club. Wittman has by no measure been an effective coach anywhere he's been, and he's not associated with any given "style."
TrentTuckerForever
Starter

Post#28 » by TrentTuckerForever » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:31 pm

hijacktheparade wrote:Also, what has Flip been doing since the Pistons let him go?

Reminds me of The Simpson's McBain, who said when asked how he sleeps at night: "On a big pile of money, with many beautiful ladies!"
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#29 » by the_bruce » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:46 pm

The question about defense is simple...

Love, Al, Brewer, Foye can adaquetely defend a position.

Miller's defense is meh
McCants defense is super-meh.
Gomes can defend some 3/4's well but gets murdered on the boards
Cookie cannot defend at all.

Ollie why is he still on team, and why does he get minutes. Can this guy be more passive?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by C.lupus » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:56 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:^Actually, I think McHale has picked a style (low-post, inside-out on O) and some players that fit that style (Jefferson and Love and can play on the low block. McCants also has an underrated post game. Foye, Miller, McCants and Gomes are good shooters who can play off post guys.)

Problem is McHale skipped number 2 above... he's picked a coach who's a member of Taylor's good ol' boys club. Wittman has by no measure been an effective coach anywhere he's been, and he's not associated with any given "style."

Agreed. And I think Devilz's two trades (Foye for Conley and Collins for Nazr) would shore up the inside-out game.

The big question, then is coach. Who would be the top candidates for this type of game? Seems like we need a Popovich or Sloan disciple. Any ideas?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#31 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Nov 8, 2008 6:02 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:I think the bigger problem is that nobody on the team plays defense.

This isn't the coach's fault? How about the lack of style or identity on the other end of the floor? They need a coach, post haste.

partially because it's the coaches responsibility to get the most out of his players, and thats not happening from top to bottom, but when I watch these guys play defense, I have a hard time envisioning any coach getting much out of them. Mike Miller, Kevin Love, Foye, Telfair, McCants, Smith and Al Jefferson? I wish there was a coach out there that could make that group into a good defensive team.

I think thats the biggest problem and is a personnel problem more than coaching, but I'm not absolving Wittman from blame.

This team should be killing on the glass, top 10 for sure with Love, Jefferson, and Miller, but Miller isn't rebounding, Gomes is playing PF too much, and the Wolves are 24th in rebounding rate, totally unacceptable because thats one of the ways they can overcome bad defense is by limiting to one shot, but the opposition controls the boards with ease. Smith and Gomes kill us on the glass. Wittman can control that w/ playing time and by putting size on the court over offensive skill.

23rd in eFG%, I've never seen an offense with less movement or complexity. Al and Craig are getting the ball way too far from the basket thereby effectively ruining their effectiveness because they're too far from the basket and the perimeter players effectiveness because they have no spacing to operate.

Those 2 things should be a given with the personnel, but the Wolves are well below average in both areas.

So there it is. Problem is 60% personnel, 40% coaching
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,560

Post#32 » by Calinks » Sat Nov 8, 2008 6:39 pm

Any set of NBA players can at least play decent team defense if they are on the right page and buy into the schemes. We have seen the wolves play good defensive games. IF they did it once they can do it again. Hardly anybody on this team is a very good defender but they can do a heck of a lot better.

I don't think the wolves will be able to bring in any big name coaches for two reasons. One, who would really want to come here? We may have trouble finding an established coach who would want to coach this team unless they see the potential of our roster.

Two, I am pretty sure we want to be on the cheap right now. Aren't we still paying Flips contract? I don't think Taylor wants to spend even more money to hire another coach. Right now we want cheap and Wittman is as cheap as they come. The FO is not trying to spend the big money to bring somebody else in.

If they knew they were going to rebuild and go cheap anyway, then I really think they should have stuck with Casey. As soon as I found out we were rebuilding that was the kind of coach I wanted us to have here. Casey had a lot to learn but under him I saw improvement, especially on the defensive end. I think with these kids he could have got something out of them.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#33 » by miltk » Sat Nov 8, 2008 6:54 pm

You have the worst coach in the league. Why is he still coaching.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/wittmra01c.html
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by C.lupus » Sat Nov 8, 2008 7:01 pm

^ good question. I really love how his winning percentage has declined every year. It just makes me all excited about the future of this team.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#35 » by Calinks » Sat Nov 8, 2008 7:20 pm

miltk wrote:You have the worst coach in the league. Why is he still coaching.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/wittmra01c.html

Wow, at this rate we can look forward to being Big Ten eligible by 2011!!!
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#36 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Nov 9, 2008 12:48 am

I would love to get Van Gundy here. this has to be the umpteenth time i have said that. JVG is solid and would get a lot more out of these kids.

The defense falls on the coach in that he doesnt put our guys in a position to play good or average defense. Craig at C??? Gomes at PF??? McCants at the 3??? (sidebar: McCants has done an OK job at the 3 in spot minutes, but defensively it shouldnt be an option). I believe i actually witnessed a Telfair/Foye/McCants/Gomes/Craigers lineup. Thats god awful.

Foye is an average defender. He cant guard the smaller quicker guards (read: Tony Parker) but he does a good job on the bigger guards like himself. McCants will probably never be the defender he can be, and at this point in his career, the only thing that can probably salvage his career is KG. Miller is not a good defender by any means, which is all the more reason we need an enforcer/shot blocker presence in the middle next to Jefferson.

Playing Love and Jefferson together for now is ok since there really isnt any other options other than Madsen starting, but i agree it is NOT our front court of the future. To make up for the rest of the teams defensive inadequacies we need a true 5.

So i do agree that it falls partly on the players, 60% seems like alot to me and i definitely dont think we need a knee jerk trade like the one posted by Devilz.
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#37 » by the_bruce » Sun Nov 9, 2008 12:48 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:This team should be killing on the glass, top 10 for sure with Love, Jefferson, and Miller, but Miller isn't rebounding, Gomes is playing PF too much, and the Wolves are 24th in rebounding rate, totally unacceptable because thats one of the ways they can overcome bad defense is by limiting to one shot, but the opposition controls the boards with ease. Smith and Gomes kill us on the glass. Wittman can control that w/ playing time and by putting size on the court over offensive skill.

I agree with this, but how often do we see Jefferson + Love + Miller 82games has it listed a few times and in 2 out of the 3 listed cases its killing on the glass. Doesnt seem to be the good old coaches favorite.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,163

Post#38 » by GopherIt! » Sun Nov 9, 2008 8:55 am

"Wow, at this rate we can look forward to being Big Ten eligible by 2011!!!"

Yeah, and then we'd lose the home opener...

to Purdue...

by twenty...
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#39 » by revprodeji » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:10 pm

it is the players not buying into the system. Which comes down to "why" and that comes to the coaching. he is not able to get them to buy into a defensive system. So he needs to straighten that out or be gone.

I think there are 2 other factors hurting us.
1.) Chemistry--many new parts. Foye, Miller, Love even Bassy to a degree and Brewer. So it will take time for them to play together.

2.) Last year--they did not play to win, they played to play and I think that is hurting us now. We developed a "who cares if we win" mentality. I think we have 2 players on this team that are very, very bothered right now about that. We see it in love, but I also think it is the main reason McCants has been in the dog house. The kid is a winner and the team attitude is killing him.

We need an overhaul of mentality. Develop the identity and reward hustle. The players are fine skill wise, but we need to see them focus.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#40 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:47 pm

There is no focus. I have heard some people say that this will all be solved by a real PG but I just don't buy it. There is so much FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with how this team plays that I don't see a PG coming in here and curing all that ails us.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves