ImageImageImage

College players thread/ Draft Related thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#1 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:05 am

It's never too early when you're a wolves fan!!! So lets keep this thread updated with performances of top ncaa prospects.

Tonight some of them

Hasheem Thabeet 7"3 uconn C - 24 pts, 17 rebs, 5 blocks

Blake Griffin- Oklahoma- PF - 24 and 18 rebs

James Harden- Arizona St - SG - 24 pts, 10 assists

Stephen Curry- Davidson - PG- 29 pts, 10 assists, 9 steals, 3 rebs

Feel free to add other players you are watching!
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#2 » by AQuintus » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:02 am

Jrue Holiday 6'3" UCLA Combo Guard - 5 points & 1 block in minutes vs Miami (OH)
11 points, 3 steals, & block in 23 minutes vs Prairie View A&M

Holiday is an interesting prospect because he is an elite athlete with a good shooting stroke similar to Randy Foye. I don't know if he'll come out this year (and with the way his early stat lines look, it's even more doubtful), but he's a definitely a guy to watch for in the 2010 draft.

Demar Derozan 6'6" SG USC- First game is tomorrow vs UC Irvine (Went 10-16 shooting and 8-10 Ft for 28 points, 2 rebs, t asts, and 2 steals in Cardinal & Gold Scrimmage)

DeRozan, much like Rose last year, is my big man crush for this year's draft. Built in the Kobe Bryant/Vince Carter mould, he is an absolute freak athlete with prototypical SG size (6'6", 6"9" wingspan, 205+ lbs), can score from anywhere (shot 80% fg in high school), is a great rebounder for his position, and is a steadily improving playmaker. If this guy wants to be (and is willing to work at it), he will be the next great Shooting Guard in the NBA.
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#3 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:31 am

I agree about Derozan he's my man crush also.

There is a lot of interesting talent to watch this year, with bigs and guards, we will have a top 5 pick when all is said and done.

Holiday and Harden could help us a ton at pg and SG

Derozan I think will go #1 overall or blake griffin.

Keep udating please, and I'll do the same, i like to follow this stuff
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,025

Post#4 » by TheProdigy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:37 am

I'm so disappointed with how the Wolves are playing right now. Wouldn't it be nice for a change if we were rooting for a playoff berth at the end of the season rather than a high draft pick. Hopefully something is done(fire Wittman) and we can salvage a solid season. We have many young talented players that need to learn how to play as a unit. A servicable coach should be able to make it happen.

The good news is that we have potentially 4 1st round draft picks.
We keep our 1st if it is a top 10 pick.
We acquire Utah's pick if it is not in the top 22 picks.
We acquire Miami's pick if it is not in the top 10.
We acquire Boston's pick if it is not in the top 3.

I wouldn't mind having these guys on the Wolves.

Blake Griffin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRaiSlJEEvM
BJ Mullens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oto65oChjc
Hasheem Thabeet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmqwcphAUU
Demar Derozan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOgK1tTFQw
Ricky Rubio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12FOZsjWxwk
James Harden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq3DjufWTyA&feature=related
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#5 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:52 am

what if say we add...

Thabeet

and collison with a mid 1st round pick..

Both of those guys are noted for their defense they both bring it on the D, and thats what the twolves really lack right now. We have enough scoring.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,892

Post#6 » by Zeitgeister » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:15 am

There is a list of guys that I want on this team, we need to take the best player available UNLESS it is a PF. :D So Blake Griffin is out of the question for me. These guys are definitely at the top of my board.

1. Demar Derozan
2. Rick Rubio
3. BJ Mullins
4. Brandon Jennings
5. Jrue Holliday

Did anyone see Jrue Holliday play in some highschool tournament in Minnesota last year? I wasn't actually at the game but I saw it on TV and i've never seen a highschool player dominate a game like he did. Offense/defense he just took over when he needed to. Granted that was against high school players, but still impressive.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#7 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:16 am

I"m really excited about those 5 you listed zeit.

Derozan 6"6 looks like a legit superstar, has all the tools, a total athlete.

Rubio impressed dwayne wade, enough said.

BJ mullins is 7"1 monster inside he could erase lots of shots and he has offense

Brandon Jennings he's starting to pick it up in Europe and looks the part

Jrue Holliday often compared to wade, yowsa!

Keep an eye on Thabeet and Harden I think they are potential top 5 players that could look good in a wolves uniform
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,244

Post#8 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:28 am

double post.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#9 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:46 am

wow. Thabeet has really improved his game. i'm starting to like him now :). Damion James is a sleeper too but not worth a top 10 pick

EDIT: Al Farouq-Aminu is my 2nd best choice. He'll do some wonders for this team at SF. Imagine if we have the Heat's 11th pick and we have the 8th pick. I'll use that to choose Aminu at 11 and Thabeet at 8th that would be sweet.

Jefferson/Thabeet
Love/Smith/Jordan Hill
Aminu/Miller
Brewer/Rashad McCants/Wayne Ellington(UTAH Pick)
Foye/Ty Lawson(BOS Pick)

that draft picks would be the sweetest thing evar!
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#10 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 pm

good call on Aminu, I saw his highlights tonight, kid looks like a beast!

I'm not sure he's the best fit for this team, however he's a definite player!

I'm really excited about our potential to get a big in this draft. With Thabeet and Mullins being the 2 big time bigs, I think we have a legit shot.

I never realized how athletic Thabeet was! Dude looked very light on his feet, this kid could be special. His size is just enormous, but he doesn't labor when he runs. Don't be shocked if he's a concensus top 3 pick in a few months.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Post#11 » by PeeDee » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:42 pm

If Thabeet and Mullins put up gaudy stats this year, they will go 1 and 2, no doubt. While I'd love to land either of those guys, I've also got my eye on DeRozen and Harden.

DeRozen because it'd be nice to have a freak athlete and scoring sg that's not undersized. Harden because he's the Kevin Love of guards, the guy knows how to play.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#12 » by hijacktheparade » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:50 pm

ALICEinJAM wrote:wow. Thabeet has really improved his game. i'm starting to like him now :). Damion James is a sleeper too but not worth a top 10 pick

EDIT: Al Farouq-Aminu is my 2nd best choice. He'll do some wonders for this team at SF. Imagine if we have the Heat's 11th pick and we have the 8th pick. I'll use that to choose Aminu at 11 and Thabeet at 8th that would be sweet.

Jefferson/Thabeet
Love/Smith/Jordan Hill
Aminu/Miller
Foye/Ty Lawson(BOS Pick)

What happens to Gomes? :(
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#13 » by hotshotschamp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Thabeet might be the perfect fit for us.

Lets face it, Big Al and Love arent exactly defensive stoppers. We can run a big lineup with those 3 from time to time. He will average 5 blocks a year this year in college, his height and athleticism is scary.

I am going to try to find the USC game today, I want to see what Derozan can do. They say he could be another tmac/kobe/pierce type player ...lord knows the wolves could use one of those just once in their franchise.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#14 » by prefuse73 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:22 pm

I think we either need a top flight C or PG so my order is as follows:

#1 Thabeet: Guy has everything we need to compliment Jefferson and Love. If he keeps putting up the numbers he had yesterday, he will be the first pick. Since we have to think of the future. Oden/Aldridge/Pryzbilla vs Thabeet/Jefferson/Love That will be intersting to watch.

#2 Rubio (if he comes out). Wade's endorsement goes a long way. Kid will be good.

#3 Derozan. Having a true go-to SG like most championship teams would do wonders for us. If thise were to happen, Foye will probably be on the way out
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#15 » by C.lupus » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:14 pm

^Agreed. Those would be my top choices as well.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,722

Post#16 » by Basti » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:11 pm

wow Thabeet has an impressive stat line.

and to the poster who said we shouldn't take a PF: what about picking him if he's the BPA when we pick (because I highly doubt we'll have a top3 pick regardless of our record) and offer him, Love or Big Al to see what me might get? the way our team is constructed and playing right now we should consider EVERY option out there
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#17 » by Tekkenlaw » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:18 pm

I hope they somehow manage to trade up for another lottery pick, the perfect draft for me would be DeRozan/Thabeet, that draft would be the second part of the Mayo-Love trade, get an even better SG prospect, and get an athletic center to compliment Love.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Post#18 » by PeeDee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:03 am

Tekkenlaw wrote:I hope they somehow manage to trade up for another lottery pick, the perfect draft for me would be DeRozan/Thabeet, that draft would be the second part of the Mayo-Love trade, get an even better SG prospect, and get an athletic center to compliment Love.

Here's how to do it...

Draft either Thabeet or DeRosen with whatever pick the Wolves end up with depending on who has more value at the time (also depending on a little lotto luck, but at the the rate we're going we'll be sitting pretty).

Then trade Miami #1, Utah #1, Boston #1 and the rights to Pekovic for the rights to DeRozen/Thabeet (which ever one they didn't draft).

Voila!

As of now, I would be fine with any combo of Thabeet/Mullins and DeRozen/Harden
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#19 » by hotshotschamp » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 am

that sounds good on paper....

but it might be tough finding a team willing ot move a top 3-5 pick for a bunch of mid to late 1sts and a euro prospect who is not a lock to come over here.
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#20 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:17 am

hijacktheparade wrote:
ALICEinJAM wrote:wow. Thabeet has really improved his game. i'm starting to like him now :). Damion James is a sleeper too but not worth a top 10 pick

Jefferson/Thabeet
Love/Smith/Jordan Hill
Aminu/Miller
Foye/Ty Lawson(BOS Pick)

What happens to Gomes? :(

gomes is a SF, Aminu and Miller will eat up those minutes and at PF, were stacked out there.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves