ImageImageImage

College players thread/ Draft Related thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#761 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:10 pm

I think Aminu has beast potential, I'd rather take a chance with him then Clark because I don't think Clark has much offensive potential at all, probably a role player in the NBA imo.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#762 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:14 pm

can Harden fall to 5?

Griffin/Rubio/Thabeet go 1/2/3 and if the Clips pick at spot 4, SG is last thing they need. So if the Wolves can't move up past 5, then we need LAC to pick 4th
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#763 » by deeney0 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:25 pm

I suppose Harden could fall to 5, but I think Thabeet will drop.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#764 » by john2jer » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:26 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:can Harden fall to 5?

Griffin/Rubio/Thabeet go 1/2/3 and if the Clips pick at spot 4, SG is last thing they need. So if the Wolves can't move up past 5, then we need LAC to pick 4th

i think Griffin at #1 is the only lock. I could see Rubio even falling to 3 in some scenarios. After Griffin it all depends on who's drafting where. the lottery can't come soon enough. This next 2 months will be hell for me.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#765 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:31 pm

NBAdraft.net has us getting: Earl Clark, Demar Derozan, and AJ Price
DX has Teague/Dejuan Blair/Hansbrough

both piss me off imho
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Post#766 » by PeeDee » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:35 pm

At 5, I think we'd likely land either Harden or Thabeet, unless Rubio doesn't declare. At 6, if both those guys are gone, I'd go Aminu. So, outside the top 3, my draft board is Harden, Thabeet, Aminu

My complete Wolves board:

1. Rubio
2. Griffin
3. Harden
4. Thabeet
5. Aminu
6. Evans
7. Curry
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#767 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:38 pm

john2jer wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:can Harden fall to 5?

i think Griffin at #1 is the only lock. I could see Rubio even falling to 3 in some scenarios. After Griffin it all depends on who's drafting where. the lottery can't come soon enough. This next 2 months will be hell for me.

agree that Griffin at #1 is probably a lock, though Rubio might get a look from some teams I'd think. But I think Rubio/Harden/Griffin/Thabeet are probably top 4. Then there's a host of guys that if they got real hot in the tourney, they could jump in there; maybe even if they were just solid. Guys like Hill, Evans, Aminu, maybe even Teague, they could bump Thabeet or Harden if everything went well.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#768 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:41 pm

PeeDee wrote:At 5, I think we'd likely land either Harden or Thabeet, unless Rubio doesn't declare. At 6, if both those guys are gone, I'd go Aminu. So, outside the top 3, my draft board is Harden, Thabeet, Aminu

My complete Wolves board:

1. Rubio
2. Griffin
3. Harden
4. Thabeet
5. Aminu
6. Evans
7. Curry

I'd be all:
Griffin if we have a pre-arranged trade in place
Rubio
Harden
Evans
Thabs
Aminu
work a trade down or out completely
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#769 » by john2jer » Fri Mar 6, 2009 5:49 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:NBAdraft.net has us getting: Earl Clark, Demar Derozan, and AJ Price
DX has Teague/Dejuan Blair/Hansbrough

both piss me off imho

UGLY on both of those. DeRozan is the only one that I could talk myself into.

1. Griffin - TRADE
2. Rubio
3. Hardin
4. Thabeet
5. Monroe - TRADE
6. Hill - TRADE
7. Evans
8. Henderson
9. Holiday
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#770 » by Krapinsky » Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:03 pm

I think Clark is very intriguing. He would be an excellent fit personnel wise. I really like his passing ability for a SF. Clark passing to Al from the wing, and Love passing to Al from the high post? Fuggeta' about it.

If he developed a shooting stroke a la Danny Granger he could be a very dangerous player.

I f we got say, Clark and a PG, maybe Lawson, later on, I could live with that.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
rick_21
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#771 » by rick_21 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:23 pm

Unless Rubio declares for this year's draft, I see the big men being the top 3 picks

Griffin is a lock, Monroe could go up based on his potential and Thabeet is 7'3'', if he has some nice workouts, his stock will rise a lot.

I predict I draft like this (not based on Wolves needs)

Griffin
Monroe
Thabeet
Harden?
... the rest. Down here, everything can change depending on their performances in the final tournament
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#772 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 6, 2009 9:27 pm

that'd be a big help if Monroe got in to the top 3
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#773 » by horaceworthy » Fri Mar 6, 2009 10:17 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I think Aminu has beast potential, I'd rather take a chance with him then Clark because I don't think Clark has much offensive potential at all, probably a role player in the NBA imo.

I'd rather roll the dice on AFA as well. Clark is big, athletic and skilled, but it doesn't seem like his elevator goes all the way to the top.

This draft is still weird for me. The freshman guards (Holiday, Evans, and I include Jennings in that mix) are all tough to evaluate due to their individual circumstances. I don't have any access to Jennings outside of youtube since he's in Europe, Evans is in that funky Calipari system, and Holiday's forced to take a backseat to Collison and Shipp. Teague's quick and can shoot, but I'm wary of him. Harden has no mid-range game and has a tendency to get careless/sloppy with his dribble. I still like Stephen Curry a lot, but I'm not sure he'll declare. I think he might want to stay another year and take a run at Maravich.

All that being said, there are some players out there that could fit nicely on the Wolves. I'm interested in seeing what the FO does with this draft.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
rick_21
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#774 » by rick_21 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 11:30 pm

I've watch some Euroleague games this year and i can told you something about Jennings: right now, he would play zero minutes in any NBA team, even the Wolves.

I know the european basketball is way different from NBA basketball, but this guy is playing very inconsistent in a non elite team in Europe. He has no shooting range, no pg skills and specially no defense at all. Is attitude is also very problematic, he loses focus during games and plays very selfish sometimes.

I'm not saying he hasn't potential, of course he has, but right now, he's shown more shadows than lights
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#775 » by deeney0 » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:08 am

It's funny how we've all arrived at AFA because the PG's are too hard to sort out. I'm not firmly in that camp too.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#776 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:26 am

wow, not a single vote for evan turner, the guy is rediculuosly underrated, he is the best wing in the draft after harden, can play 3 positions, plays well next to true pg and next to combo gaurd like foye, he's easily better than evans and henderson.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#777 » by Krapinsky » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:34 am

AFA? Aminu? Isn't he even a worse fit on this team then all of the combo guards? It seems the last thing we need is a SF that needs to play in the paint.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#778 » by Krapinsky » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:37 am

I love, LOVE, Turner's game and he would be a great fit on this team. I'm just wary of entering him in the discussion for the Wolves pick, since DX has him at 19- after the Miami pick. That said, he's easily one of my ten favorite players in this draft. I'd take him over Henderson.

Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#779 » by Krapinsky » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:43 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:that'd be a big help if Monroe got in to the top 3

Has anyone else noticed DX dropped Monroe to 11?

Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#780 » by Jonathan Watters » Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:58 am

I like Monroe as a prospect long term, but he wasn't a top 3 pick based on any sort of merit. He was a top 3 pick by default.

This draft sucks. I fully expect Pitt's Blair to creep well into the Top 10 and maybe Top 5 before this is all over.

(Maybe the Wolves should pick him and then everybody can spend the next 2 years telling me how he's going to morph into a small forward by losing 80 pounds, learning how to dribble, learning how to shoot, and learning how to defend perimeter players.)

The Wolves need to take a chance on one of these guards. Teague or Holiday would be my choice, maybe even Jennings if he's got his head on straight. It would be risky, but there is no reason not to take a risk in this draft. Your "sure thing" types are extremely unlikely to amount to players that will push our current mediocre roleplayers out of their spots.

Holiday is a heck of a player, and everybody will realize it if he goes back to UCLA sans knuckleheads like Darren Collison and Josh Shipp. Top 5 pick a year from now, so if he declares you have to take him.

Teague has fallen off quite a bit since his hot streak, but his explosiveness is super rare and he has the court vision to eventually be a point guard. It could be a rough couple of years in the process, though. Defense is a strength, that's a plus.

I really wouldn't mind Aminu, either. He's not the brightest bulb on the tree, but has some good instincts in an elite physical package. At the very least he could add the shot blocking that the current lineup is so desperately lacking, so in that regard I think he actually does fit well with the Love/Jefferson frontcourt. (Note how Utah gets away with Boozer/Okur because they have Kirilenko at SF...)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves