ImageImageImage

Getting two top-five picks...via Wiretap

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Getting two top-five picks...via Wiretap 

Post#1 » by PeeDee » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Wiretap reports that Washington may consider trading their 09 draft pick if a team takes on a big contract. They'd like to do this to get from out under the lux next year...

I say we get in on the action...

Jason Collins, Mark Madsen and Miami 1st

for

Etan Thomas, Deshawn Stevenson and Washington 1st

or something of that nature.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Re: Getting two top-five picks...via Wiretap 

Post#2 » by deeney0 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:53 pm

If we could swing Haywood, all the better
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#3 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:00 pm

I went over to the ESPN lottery toy and hit "play lottery" once and it got us Ricky Rubio(4th) and Hasheem Thabeet(6th).

Sign me up for some Thabeet and Rubio action!

Then we do a sign and trade with Atlanta in the off-season of Miller/Cardinal/Utah 1st/filler for Marvin Williams and Speedy Claxton. I believe it would have to be split into two different deals, but it works.

C - Thabeet/Love
PF - Jefferson/Smith
SF - Williams/Gomes
SG - Foye/Brewer
PG - Rubio/Telfair

Lovin it. Our passing is excellent, our bench is strong, our perimeter defense is much improved and we have the great eraser in the middle. We could even see stretches of a great running line-up of Rubio/Brewer/Williams/Love/Thabeet leading to outlets and alley oops for easy transition baskets.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#4 » by PeeDee » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Haha, my first try we ended up with #2 and #3... get it done!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#5 » by C.lupus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Yes please.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#6 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:43 pm

PeeDee wrote:Jason Collins, Mark Madsen and Miami 1st

for

Hmm... I think they'd want to keep Stevenson, since he fits so well next to Arenas. Tough to see where they'd cut payroll elsewhere, though.

I'd pass - I'm not convinced that there are two guys worth being top five picks in this draft. If Rubio was coming out I'd reconsider, but I don't think he will.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 706

Post#7 » by karch34 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Butler and Washington pick for Collins, Gomes, Mia pick, Utah pick, and Boston pick.

Collins gives them an expiring and Gomes gives them a cheap SF. And yes I would throw in all 3 picks for Butler and a lottery pick.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#8 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:07 pm

karch34 wrote:Butler and Washington pick for Collins, Gomes, Mia pick, Utah pick, and Boston pick.

Collins gives them an expiring and Gomes gives them a cheap SF. And yes I would throw in all 3 picks for Butler and a lottery pick.

Um, they give up the top two pieces in the trade for a little cap room and some mid to late picks?

If Washington moves anyone it will be Jamison, not Butler.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 706

Post#9 » by karch34 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22 pm

True, that's more of a pipedream. I can't see them moving Jamison's contract anywhere though.

More likely we'd have to trade Miller for expirings and flip those in something where they added Thomas or Haywood.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#10 » by Basti » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:07 pm

karch34 wrote:Butler and Washington pick for Collins, Gomes, Mia pick, Utah pick, and Boston pick.

too bad Michael Jordan is not their GM anymore...
stop-n-pop
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by stop-n-pop » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:10 pm

This is where Pekovic could be helpful. He doesn't require a guaranteed contract and he could come over in 2010. He's the perfect type of asset for a team like the Wiz. Thomas, James, Dixon, and the 1st for Collins, Shaddy, Booth, Smith, and Pekovic. The Wiz clear $10 mil off the books next year, get a future 1st without guaranteed rookie money, and they can push it off into the future.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#12 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 pm

stop-n-pop wrote:This is where Pekovic could be helpful. He doesn't require a guaranteed contract and he could come over in 2010. He's the perfect type of asset for a team like the Wiz. Thomas, James, Dixon, and the 1st for Collins, Shaddy, Booth, Smith, and Pekovic. The Wiz clear $10 mil off the books next year, get a future 1st without guaranteed rookie money, and they can push it off into the future.

You might be on to something here.
Chance1117
Bench Warmer
And1: 23

Post#13 » by Chance1117 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm

That would be sick if we had two picks that high. I think a good vet might be as good for us!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,833

Post#14 » by shrink » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 pm

I have always put Abe Pollin on the list of owners who are unwilling to go over the lux, but after the contract he gave Antawn Jamison, I had to take him off. Now, I don't know. Will he still pay over the lux on a team that's not a contender? I don't think so.

His options are limited:

1. Use the youth or pick to move a 2 or 3 year deal for an expiring.

2. Trade Haywood

3. Trade Caron Butler

None of these are appealing options. Haywood is their defensive centerpiece. They love their youth, and Caron Butler is a young guy bordering on stardom.

I'd make an offer for the pick, though I'd expect they'd try to put some Top 2-3 protection on it. Offer starts with Collins, and I personally wouldn't mind Etan. Though his trade kicker is no picnic, he's a 2-year deal and we'd get some use out of him at center. $7 mil for a lottery pick? Depends on the protection. Money keeps getting more and more valuable.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#15 » by skorff26 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:11 pm

PeeDee wrote:Wiretap reports that Washington may consider trading their 09 draft pick if a team takes on a big contract. They'd like to do this to get from out under the lux next year...

I say we get in on the action...

Jason Collins, Mark Madsen and Miami 1st

for

Maybe switch madsen to mccants and stevenson to songalia and I think it might work.
Rakocevicftw
Junior
And1: 3

Post#16 » by Rakocevicftw » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Blatche plz.
Zach Randolph>Frye. Kevin Durant > Oden. Random guy off street> Pritchard.
stop-n-pop
Sophomore

Post#17 » by stop-n-pop » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 am

I didn't realize how badly the Wizards are over the cap. If the status quo remains, they enter next season with $76 mil in salaries. They could have a top 3 pick which would put them at $80 mil. The current lux tax projection is at $67.5 mil. That's $12.5 mil in extra lux tax payments, which would put them at $92.5 mil for a s$%tty club with less than 20 wins. By moving James and Thomas, they can take $12 mil off the baseline number. With an addition of Smith, they get a nice young bench player and $10 mil off the mark, which puts them at $66 mil, or below the lux mark. Of course the lux mark could go lower. That would make it even more imperative for them to clear salary. As far as the Wolves are concerned, that money is already out the door and they are below the cap.

Making this deal could end up saving the owner of the team somewhere in the neighborhood $26 .5 mil. That's not exactly chump change. Even if they get the top pick, is he worth that much? That's a hard one to argue.
foyemyboy
Freshman

Post#18 » by foyemyboy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 am

hey, did you get a load of that nerd!
[img]imagesrandyfoye[/img]
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#19 » by revprodeji » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:54 am

yea, lets make fun of the guy who actually adds value and insight to the thread. Sorry he used big words and numbers Foye.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
foyemyboy
Freshman

Post#20 » by foyemyboy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 am

Lighten up buddy, its just a joke. I think stop-and-pop can defend himself
[img]imagesrandyfoye[/img]

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves