ImageImageImage

Ryan Gomes

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Ryan Gomes 

Post#1 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Pioneer Press wrote:Filling the gap: Forward Ryan Gomes has averaged 19.6 points in the five games since Jefferson went down. McHale said that's no coincidence.

"We need him to score more," he said. "When you take away Al's (23.1 points a game), someone's going to have to fill that void."

Last 5 games
19.6 pts
5.4 boards
2.0 assists
1.2 steals
12,000 hearts stolen

It's a shame we're so under-sized, I'd love to see that production playing exclusively at the 3.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Chance1117
Bench Warmer
And1: 23

Re: Ryan Gomes 

Post#2 » by Chance1117 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Gomes is such a quiet player. He can drop 20 and no one really notices. He is still young and this is the 3 year he has averaged 12 ppg. The bad is FG% has dropped each year. He plays a little too soft at times.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#3 » by revprodeji » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 pm

yea, high BBIQ but his aggression and focus can be lacking sometimes. If he could be consistent in those things he could be a decent starting 3 but he is most likely a bench 6th or 7th. I am impressed with his production.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#4 » by big3_8_19_21 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:46 pm

hockeyman12c wrote:Gomes is such a quiet player. He can drop 20 and no one really notices. He is still young and this is the 3 year he has averaged 12 ppg. The bad is FG% has dropped each year. He plays a little too soft at times.

He's also upped his volume of 3pt shooting each of those years, which is probably the biggest reason when that has happened. Seeing as how he is connecting on 38.5% of his attempts from deep this year, that's not a bad thing, either.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#5 » by revprodeji » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:03 pm

^^I am on my phone so I cant do this, but just compare his eFg for the last couple years. If his decline in overall FG % is due to more attempts of the 3, but his attempts of the 3 yield more value then his eFg will show that.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 704

Post#6 » by karch34 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Gomes might actually be my favorite player on the team. I like his game a lot. It's not flashy and he does have moments of inconsistency but for the most part he's a smart and productive player. I like him better at the 3 though and whether he's a starter or 6/7th man I would hope he's hear long term.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#7 » by deeney0 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:12 pm

2.5 3PA per FTA is absolutely awful, that's where he's at for the month. For the season, he's at 2.1. Call me old fashioned, but a player like Gomes should be under 1. Hard to say exactly who to compare Gomes to in this department - Granger (0.97), Jamison (0.67), even Al Harrington (1.68) and Rashard Lewis (1.9) are lower than Gomes, players who never met a 3PA they didn't like.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#8 » by AQuintus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:52 pm

James Posey:

238 3 point attempts
112 FT attempts

Obviously, Gomes isn't the same player that Posey is on the defensive end, but they have similar roles on offense.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#9 » by deeney0 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm

They should have a similar role on offense, but it seems to me that in actuality Gomes touches the ball more the Posey
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#10 » by southern wolf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:30 am

He's done incredibly well for himself considering he was drafted at pick 50, and he started his career playing behind Paul Pierce. I hope he stays long-term.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#11 » by funkatron101 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:15 pm

I've always liked Gomes. He's a great ambassador for the league and is becoming a great role player.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by revprodeji » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:46 pm

I am not worried about the FTa/3PtA because his threes come off the natural flow of offense. I never think he is forcing the 3. If it is there, take it.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#13 » by deeney0 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm worried about the whole team's lack of getting to the line.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:23 pm

thing about Gomes is he can use his quickness advantage at PF, but not his size (girth) advantage at SF. He's not very physical. So what you get is an offensive advantage/defensive disadvantage when he's at PF because he can use his quicks on offense, but doesn't have enough physicality on defense, then at SF he's got enough quicks to defend his man ok at SF, but doesn't have enough to do a lot of damage on offense or enough physicality to punish his man.

So you're stuck with either spot up shooter/passable defender playing SF or more versatile offensive player/bad defender at PF.

Maybe he just needs to go full-bore SF mode and lose 20 more lbs and hopefully get quick enough to beat SFs off the dribble and maybe it will bring him closer to a lockdown defender. Probably too much to ask.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#15 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:thing about Gomes is he can use his quickness advantage at PF, but not his size (girth) advantage at SF. He's not very physical. So what you get is an offensive advantage/defensive disadvantage when he's at PF because he can use his quicks on offense, but doesn't have enough physicality on defense, then at SF he's got enough quicks to defend his man ok at SF, but doesn't have enough to do a lot of damage on offense or enough physicality to punish his man.

So you're stuck with either spot up shooter/passable defender playing SF or more versatile offensive player/bad defender at PF.

Maybe he just needs to go full-bore SF mode and lose 20 more lbs and hopefully get quick enough to beat SFs off the dribble and maybe it will bring him closer to a lockdown defender. Probably too much to ask.

This is pretty much spot-on. Gomes' perimeter defense is tops on our team. His offensive arsenal is shifting more towards that of a SF, and if he can start to take guys off the dribble, he'll be dangerous. 20ppg on a bad team isn't OUTSTANDING, but Gomes' play with Al out is impressive. I've never thought this before, but between the way he's been canning 3's, his excellent defense on volume scorers like Kobe (has anyone else noticed how Gomes has just LOCKED him down the last few times we've played the Lakers?), and his emergence with Big Al out, I'm feeling comfortable with Gomes as a starting 3 if he can keep this up.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#16 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:41 pm

revprodeji wrote:^^I am on my phone so I cant do this, but just compare his eFg for the last couple years. If his decline in overall FG % is due to more attempts of the 3, but his attempts of the 3 yield more value then his eFg will show that.

His eFG this year is a career high .501%.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:53 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:thing about Gomes is he can use his quickness advantage at PF, but not his size (girth) advantage at SF. He's not very physical. So what you get is an offensive advantage/defensive disadvantage when he's at PF because he can use his quicks on offense, but doesn't have enough physicality on defense, then at SF he's got enough quicks to defend his man ok at SF, but doesn't have enough to do a lot of damage on offense or enough physicality to punish his man.

This is pretty much spot-on. Gomes' perimeter defense is tops on our team. His offensive arsenal is shifting more towards that of a SF, and if he can start to take guys off the dribble, he'll be dangerous. 20ppg on a bad team isn't OUTSTANDING, but Gomes' play with Al out is impressive. I've never thought this before, but between the way he's been canning 3's, his excellent defense on volume scorers like Kobe (has anyone else noticed how Gomes has just LOCKED him down the last few times we've played the Lakers?), and his emergence with Big Al out, I'm feeling comfortable with Gomes as a starting 3 if he can keep this up.

yea I think all his strengths and weaknesses point to him being a SF these days; good spot up shooter, solid perimeter defender, surprisingly awesome in the open court, he's pretty much automatic finishing on a break. But for his weight, he's not very effective backing guys down or rebounding.

In other words, it seems he's carrying unnecessary weight, it doesn't really help his game being 240+. I'm not a body composition expert, but I would think if it was possible for him to get down another 10 or 20 lbs, that he could be lighter on his feet and that would accentuate his strengths a lot more.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#18 » by Krapinsky » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm

I got to disagree on the solid perimeter defender part. That's the only part of his game I don't like, well that and the fact that he doesn't get to the free throw line.

Gomes is sort of starting to remind me 'Toine a little bit, only a little more composed, and little less aggressive offensively.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#19 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I got to disagree on the solid perimeter defender part. That's the only part of his game I don't like, well that and the fact that he doesn't get to the free throw line.

Gomes is sort of starting to remind me 'Toine a little bit, only a little more composed, and little less aggressive offensively.

Obviously this is only one possession, but man, he plays Kobe well in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd3WIp6j--Q
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#20 » by dunkonu21 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:16 pm

Robert Horry?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves