NIkola Pekovic

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: NIkola Pekovic 

Post#21 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 3:06 am

revprodeji wrote:
talkbasket wrote:Just so you guys know after the game he said in an interview that he will not come to the NBA, will not play for the Wolves and has no intention of playing in the NBA. He might be lying but that's what he said.

You have made comments like this before without proving it. Could you please provide proof?

It is very simple, ask in the international forum, start a topic on this. Anyone who saw the interview can confirm it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,558

Post#22 » by Calinks » Sun May 3, 2009 3:09 am

If he doesn't come over, will the wolves get compensated?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#23 » by Krapinsky » Sun May 3, 2009 3:13 am

Calinks3 wrote:If he doesn't come over, will the wolves get compensated?

No.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#24 » by 4ho5ive » Sun May 3, 2009 5:10 am

It would only be fitting that Pekovic doesnt come over. Its like the draft was one big middle finger to the fans.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#25 » by Krapinsky » Sun May 3, 2009 5:12 am

4ho5ive wrote:It would only be fitting that Pekovic doesnt come over. Its like the draft was one big middle finger to the fans.

JonG should have the 411 on this tomorrow or monday.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,558

Post#26 » by Calinks » Sun May 3, 2009 5:20 am

If this is true... you got to be kidding me. Nobody wants to come here, wolves always find a way to get screwed. The craziest crap happens out of nowhere.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#27 » by Basti » Sun May 3, 2009 2:13 pm

man I should have been home this weekend to kidnap that dude forcing him to play for the Wolves.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,833

Post#28 » by shrink » Sun May 3, 2009 3:17 pm

I don't go over to the International Board here very often, but I learned a lot about Pekovic in this thread, so I thought I'd bring over the link:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=819738&start=0
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#29 » by Steve_Holiday » Sun May 3, 2009 5:11 pm

Sounds fairly doubtful that Pekovic will play in the NBA, which wouldn't make his any different than most 2nd round picks. From reading the other thread, there seems to be a consensus that he is a back-to-the-basket type of player with average defense and rebounding; definitely not a good fit for the Wolves.

I'm not sure I completely follow Talkbasket's points in the other thread addressing Pekovic's skills. On the one hand, he's the second-option on his team and they would gladly match most big offers to keep him around. On the other hand, he routinely rides the bench for playing poor defense and his team prefers a style of play that better-suits their backup center. How does that make sense?

Additionally, TB claimed that Pekovic is better than Kevin Love. This could certainly be true, but honestly, how many European players have come to the NBA in the last 15 years that contribute even as much as Love (who is by no means yet a star)?...Dirk, Tony Parker, AK47 (who only had a couple good seasons), Big Z, Okur (eh...), Gasol brothers...I have serious doubts that a potential NBA star is hanging out on a bench in Greece, completely under the radar, while the Darkos and the Marcos and the Danielos and the Andreas of the world bust year after year after year.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#30 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 5:47 pm

Steve_Holiday wrote:Sounds fairly doubtful that Pekovic will play in the NBA, which wouldn't make his any different than most 2nd round picks. From reading the other thread, there seems to be a consensus that he is a back-to-the-basket type of player with average defense and rebounding; definitely not a good fit for the Wolves.

I'm not sure I completely follow Talkbasket's points in the other thread addressing Pekovic's skills. On the one hand, he's the second-option on his team and they would gladly match most big offers to keep him around. On the other hand, he routinely rides the bench for playing poor defense and his team prefers a style of play that better-suits their backup center. How does that make sense?

Additionally, TB claimed that Pekovic is better than Kevin Love. This could certainly be true, but honestly, how many European players have come to the NBA in the last 15 years that contribute even as much as Love (who is by no means yet a star)?...Dirk, Tony Parker, AK47 (who only had a couple good seasons), Big Z, Okur (eh...), Gasol brothers...I have serious doubts that a potential NBA star is hanging out on a bench in Greece, completely under the radar, while the Darkos and the Marcos and the Danielos and the Andreas of the world bust year after year after year.

Pekovic is much better than Love. He has a chance to be an all star in the NBA for sure. You don't understand a club like PAO. It means literally nothing whether you start or come off the bench. It has absolutely zero relation to what NBA players and coaches believe.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#31 » by Krapinsky » Sun May 3, 2009 6:46 pm

I posted this in the other thread and wanted to share it here also:

I really do not think you can read to much into this. Let's think of the incentives ---

Pekovic says: "I can't wait to go play in the NBA"

Effect: His Greek team knows that he wants to leave, thus giving them leverage in any buyout discussions. They can afford to play hardball and refuse to negotiate on his buyout. Timberwolves can come in with a low ball offer knowing he wants to play in the NBA.

Pekovic says: "I love it here, I have no desire to play in the NBA for the Timberwolves or whoever"

Effect: His Greek team is pleased in the meantime thinking he wants to stay. The rest of his teammates trust him as they believe he remains committed to the long term success of the franchise. Timberwolves know they'll have to pony up extra dough to convince him to come over which gives Pekovic more leverage and results in a higher paying deal.

This financial incentive line of reasoning is consistent with why he was picked with the first pick in the second round. Teams knew that with him it was going to be about the money and were told not to lock him into the first round rookie scale or else he would not come over.

Conclusion: Seems to me Pekovic is just saying what any smart player with a a smart agent would say. Saying he can't wait to play in the NBA provides no incentive since he is already drafted. A player that has yet to be drafted on the other hand would have an incentive to say he "can't wait to take his game to the NBA," because that would mean he would be drafted higher and have a chance to make more money.

Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#32 » by Steve_Holiday » Sun May 3, 2009 8:00 pm

Pekovic is much better than Love. He has a chance to be an all star in the NBA for sure. You don't understand a club like PAO. It means literally nothing whether you start or come off the bench.

Take another look at my post. I said nothing about starting vs. coming off the bench. I simply reiterated your talking points on the linked thread that Pekovic sees less playing time because he is benched for poor defense and his style of play doesn't mesh with his team. What I'm saying is how do go from that to certain NBA All-Star, especially when a very tiny fraction of European stars find even moderate success in America?
Rakocevicftw
Junior
And1: 3

Post#33 » by Rakocevicftw » Sun May 3, 2009 10:17 pm

If/when we offer Pekovic the full midlevel, his buyout and his love of European basketball will quickly go out the window.
Zach Randolph>Frye. Kevin Durant > Oden. Random guy off street> Pritchard.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#34 » by Basti » Sun May 3, 2009 10:36 pm

Rakocevicftw wrote:If/when we offer Pekovic the full midlevel, his buyout and his love of European basketball will quickly go out the window.

I'm not sure though if I'd want to give him the full MLE - or at least not until 2010 free agency.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#35 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 11:06 pm

Steve_Holiday wrote:
Pekovic is much better than Love. He has a chance to be an all star in the NBA for sure. You don't understand a club like PAO. It means literally nothing whether you start or come off the bench.

Take another look at my post. I said nothing about starting vs. coming off the bench. I simply reiterated your talking points on the linked thread that Pekovic sees less playing time because he is benched for poor defense and his style of play doesn't mesh with his team. What I'm saying is how do go from that to certain NBA All-Star, especially when a very tiny fraction of European stars find even moderate success in America?

You need to read my posts better. Pekovic doesn't play D or rebound to the standard of PANATHINAIKOS. He has a 50/50 chance of being an NBA all star if he came to the NBA. He's already much better than guys like Marc Gasol and Luis Scola ever were in Europe.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#36 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 11:07 pm

Rakocevicftw wrote:If/when we offer Pekovic the full midlevel, his buyout and his love of European basketball will quickly go out the window.

His Euro club would pay him well over the MLE to keep him. He would not be coming to the Wolves for money, because the MLE would be a pay cut. The only reason would be if he wanted to play in the NBA. His club already said he will get a big raise to above the NBA MLE if NBA clubs start making offers.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#37 » by Krapinsky » Sun May 3, 2009 11:16 pm

talkbasket wrote:
Steve_Holiday wrote:

You need to read my posts better. Pekovic doesn't play D or rebound to the standard of PANATHINAIKOS. He has a 50/50 chance of being an NBA all star if he came to the NBA. He's already much better than guys like Marc Gasol and Luis Scola ever were in Europe.

What's the point of pulling stuff like this out of your a**? I just don't get it. Just say I think he has a chance to be an all star.

KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#38 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 11:24 pm

I am really getting frustrated and aggravated by fans in these forums. Here I am trying to give helpful and useful info to you fans that really know nothing at all about this guy and at EVERY STEP I am called out and argued with. Forget about any more updates or info on Pekovic from me.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#39 » by revprodeji » Sun May 3, 2009 11:48 pm

Sorry Talkbasket, some of the people here think you are just delusional. Please continue to update me with Pekovic information, I really do appreciate it.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#40 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 11:51 pm

revprodeji wrote:Sorry Talkbasket, some of the people here think you are just delusional. Please continue to update me with Pekovic information, I really do appreciate it.

Sure no problem.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves