Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Timberwolves Workout Response: Point Guards 

Post#81 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:22 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
working hard to ignore the 'balls in his hands' part, I think Holiday and Curry are the ones that most need the ball in their hands to be effective as Holiday has shown he's nightmarishly ineffective without the ball, and Curry has shown his team sucks when he's not knocking down shots en masse. Evans, Lawson and Flynn though will still give you pressure defense and will push the ball even when they're not controlling every possession. Flynn and Lawson particularly can control the ball without looking for their shot first and foremost, they're true PGs through and through, we've never really had anybody like either of them on the team, true PGs that are super fast and play defense.

Holiday has shown to be nightmarishly ineffective without the ball in his hands? In what way, scoring? It's hard to score when you don't ever have the ball in his hands but everything else he's done has shown that he can be effective. Besides, he should have the ball in his hands as a point guard. He's a better playmaker than Evans.

Holiday hasn't really shown he's a better anything when it comes to what he's done vs Flynn/Lawson/Evans. Really the biggest thing he's proven is that he's 6'3" and that he's great at deflecting blame onto his coach. Say what you want about the UCLA or Collison holding him back offensively, doesn't excuse the games he got lit up on defense. I hope people don't think he's anything approaching Westbrook, because you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Even if he turns out to be a stud, I personally find it way too risky to ignore an entire season of struggles and assume he's a top 10 player again. That's just not good policy.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#82 » by Dewey » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
working hard to ignore the 'balls in his hands' part, I think Holiday and Curry are the ones that most need the ball in their hands to be effective as Holiday has shown he's nightmarishly ineffective without the ball, and Curry has shown his team sucks when he's not knocking down shots en masse. Evans, Lawson and Flynn though will still give you pressure defense and will push the ball even when they're not controlling every possession. Flynn and Lawson particularly can control the ball without looking for their shot first and foremost, they're true PGs through and through, we've never really had anybody like either of them on the team, true PGs that are super fast and play defense.

Holiday has shown to be nightmarishly ineffective without the ball in his hands? In what way, scoring? It's hard to score when you don't ever have the ball in his hands but everything else he's done has shown that he can be effective. Besides, he should have the ball in his hands as a point guard. He's a better playmaker than Evans.

Holiday hasn't really shown he's a better anything when it comes to what he's done vs Flynn/Lawson/Evans. Really the biggest thing he's proven is that he's 6'3" and that he's great at deflecting blame onto his coach. Say what you want about the UCLA or Collison holding him back offensively, doesn't excuse the games he got lit up on defense. I hope people don't think he's anything approaching Westbrook, because you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Even if he turns out to be a stud, I personally find it way too risky to ignore an entire season of struggles and assume he's a top 10 player again. That's just not good policy.

Holiday has struggled some at the collegiate level ... his athleticism is not as good as advertised and he's struggled to play at faster speeds. At the Timberwolves workout, he was a little rough.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#83 » by the_bruce » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:12 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:A good question is, assuming we got Evans, who is the point you'd want to put next to him? (i.e. Wizards dream trade scenario) In that case, you could make a strong case for Holiday over Flynn, but I'd give the nudge to Curry there.

I'd actually give the edge to teague here. Teague and Evans can both create their own shot and get to the rack...They can also dish out some assists. Neither has a great ast/to ratio, but I think teague could manage a better ratio since he would be relied on less as a volume scorer at the next level. Get him some work coming off screens and the pnr and you have a nightmare of a backcourt. To me Teague is a Foye who can get to the rack at will and draw contact, but still finish. He's probably one of the only players in the draft that I would swap Foye with regardless of other trades that happen.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,965

Post#84 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm sorry to rehash this thread, but I was looking for rfoye4s (Now El_Lobo_3) post and what was said on Flynn that day. And I found this snippet of a quote to be quite humorous after some of the events that have taken place.

Dewey wrote:Kahn may not like Foye, but if that's the case. he must really dislike Telfair.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves