ImageImageImage

Could we trade Flynn to Portland?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Coda
Sophomore
And1: 21

Could we trade Flynn to Portland? 

Post#1 » by Coda » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 am

We need a SG and they need a PG. What would you guys think of Rudy Fernandez for Flynn? Maybe we could even get Outlaw or Webster thrown in. Flynn is unlikely to start behind Rubio and Rudy will never start behind Roy. The trade also would make Rubio happier by getting rid of Flynn while completing our starting backcourt with a more familiar and complementary player. Still, kind of scared to complete any trade with Portland for fear that is will hurt to sit down for years to come...damn you Pritchard!
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: Could we trade Flynn to Portland? 

Post#2 » by AQuintus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:42 am

I'm not sure if Portland would do it, but I'd do Flynn + Craig Smith for Rudy in a second.
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#3 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:51 am

Nah Portland aren't doing that deal

Rudy is probably the only guy who fits the profile of what we are looking for though. Nice size, athletic, can make it rain given an inch, can basically do it all. He's also young with upside and the obvious kicker is that he's Spanish.

I would pee my pants if this went down, but it ain't, what other sweetner can we offer? Flynn and Craig isn't enough
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#4 » by AQuintus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:53 am

We could throw Pekovic and future picks, too.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#5 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:53 am

Kahn is (publicly) pretty adamant that he wants to keep Rubio AND Flynn...but I just don't see it working. I think it's just so they don't lose leverage in trade negotiations.

Something primarily based on Flynn for Fernandez makes a lot of sense for both teams. I'm going to preemptively decline any offers based around Outlaw, Webster or Bayless.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#6 » by jade_hippo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 am

i would love to see some spanish flavor in our backcout. Rubio/Fernandez would be a pretty nice backcourt. but it does lead us back to how bad defensively would they be. correct me if i am wrong, but Rudy is just a pretty average defender?
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:03 am

Id' consider Utah's Ronnie Brewer, still only 24, has playoff experience, plays solid D, but Utah have no need for anything we have

Courtney Lee would be nice

I think we need to go after Evans, possibly even give a little more than we should

It's probably best to sit on it for 48 hours and make a decision with Flynn based on what Rubio's camp feels about playing in Sota', thats my primary concern right now. If he isn't coming over than I'm happy to let Jonny go to work and move him later on
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#8 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:07 am

Rubio stated TODAY that the one thing he is concerned with is getting minutes and that he WILL come over if he gets minutes. I don't know why there is so much "Ricky hates Minny" commotion...probably because the media WANTS him to hate the Wolves, despite that not being the truth at all.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#9 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:09 am

jade_hippo wrote:i would love to see some spanish flavor in our backcout. Rubio/Fernandez would be a pretty nice backcourt. but it does lead us back to how bad defensively would they be. correct me if i am wrong, but Rudy is just a pretty average defender?

I don't get this, I don't know about Rudy's defense, but Rubio is a good defender in the European game. I understand that the players he will be facing in the NBA are more athletic, but I don't see why he should be considered to be a bad defender, when he actually plays very solid defense.
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 am

If our backcourt is Rubio and Flynn and he has to guard SG's then he's going to be a hell of a lot worse than bad at defense...

Even if Rubio's main concern is getting minutes, you don't go out and draft the guy who plays his freakin position 1 pick later.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#11 » by jade_hippo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:I don't get this, I don't know about Rudy's defense, but Rubio is a good defender in the European game. I understand that the players he will be facing in the NBA are more athletic, but I don't see why he should be considered to be a bad defender, when he actually plays very solid defense.

I watched him in the olympics and i've watched a few of his ACB games and he doesn't play bad defense i will admit. but I don't see him doing well playing against a lot of the bigger, stronger PGs and SG's hes going to have to try to guard in the NBA especially with Flynn being his supposed runningmate. not a knock on Juan Carlos Navaro, Shamond Williams or Raul Lopez or anything, but they aren't quite in the class of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Baron Davis

**as an aside, i hope he proves me wrong and is a great defender at both guard spots for different matches, kinda like Kidd does in Dallas now. i love the thought of having him on our team, he made me drool a little bit actually. I just don't see where this is going when our team was terrible defensively before we drafted all these point guards**
gjn19
Veteran

Post#12 » by gjn19 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:59 am

i'm not concerned about defense from the new backcourt. rubio is ok, and think will improve. flynn is already a very intense defender with a good nose. tough. but might be a little too short.

i'm more concerned about the offense with those 2. both can't shoot. i mean, they are really bad shooters. we can't take advantage of their passing abilities, when they can't drain those shots. both are at only 50% when not having the ball. both need the ball to get to their full potential.

i love flynn...maybe even more so than rubio. he's a great leader, has great intensity. you just feel the love for this game in every move he makes and every word he speaks. he will be a tremendous player in this league, if he can overcome his lack of height. he has all the intagibles.

if this is gonna work, both have to develop a jumper with range. if that's happen (but i don't think it will), we could have the best backcourt 3-4 years down the road.
tsherkin wrote:Sam's the king of the herky-jerky setup move, he's like 800 years old and STILL drops 30 on folks some nights...
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:07 am

so 5'10" Flynn on Kobe, or do we go with the rail thin 18 year old?

We can't compete with this backcourt defensively and we take away their strengths offensively when they play at the same time

Either make one a career backup or move one

Whoever that is I think depends entirely on Rubio's mindset regarding the Wolves
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,621

Post#14 » by jpatrick » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Well, we aren't winning anything in the next year or two, so hopefully Rubio is a little "thicker" by then.

If we were picking at 6 to trade him, we would have taken Curry who Portland (and NY and Phoenix) seemed to like. I think if a trade goes down with Portland, it involves Rubio. I'm sticking by Rubio + filler for Oden, probably won't happen but makes a little sense. Oden could probably use a change of scenary, unless he comes out like gang busters this year he's going to have the Foye/Roy problem as people keep comparing him to Durant.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#15 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 pm

I think Flynn's value can only go up, if you want to trade him, let him show people how good he is first.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#16 » by Dewey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Keep in mind ... the Wolves WILL get nice offers for either PG. If the right SG comes available we may or may not jump on it. I'm still thinking we have a shot at a Flynn/Evans swap.

We took the 2 best players on the board at the time. That was the right decision for a rebuilding team. We will be fine one way or another.
It would be interesting to see two players with superior ball-handling/passing abilities run an offense. One attacks the basket and the other sees the pick-n-roll as Art. Yes defense is scarey, but Flynn really is a very good defender - though size is an issue. Rubio may adjust to a more physical game much better than people think. We shall see.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Nobody in our starting 5 will have a jumpshot
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I think Flynn's value can only go up, if you want to trade him, let him show people how good he is first.

But then theres the possibility of him actually stinking up the joint and lowering his value

Although I think he will be a quality player personally
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#19 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 pm

It is pretty unlikely the Blazers would want Flynn. They have Bayless from last year. Their interest in Rubio was because he is thought to have very special skills.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#20 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:27 pm

JD45 wrote:It is pretty unlikely the Blazers would want Flynn. They have Bayless from last year. Their interest in Rubio was because he is thought to have very special skills.

Flynn is going to blow Bayless out of the water. Flynn has proven more in the NBA than Bayless, that's how bad Bayless was last year.

/trashtalkthatsnonethelesstrue

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves