ImageImageImage

Could we trade Flynn to Portland?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: Could we trade Flynn to Portland? 

Post#61 » by Esohny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:LOL at comparable stud player. Flynn or Rubio havn't done anything yet. I guess we could trade Jeff Pendergraph and Patty Mills for one of them since they are potential studs as well.

Rudy set a rookie record for 3's, and made one of the all rookie teams.

As for this Oden is a bust crap.....I get tired of reading ignorant fans spout this crap out.

Oden's PER was better than Howard's rookie year, Bynums first two years

Oden's PER this past season was 18.3. Second highest of any rookie. HIs PER was higher than Ewing's, Garrnetts', Al Jefferson's, Dwight Howard's and Amare Stoudemire's rookie years.

His per 32 minute numbers were all better than Howards were his rookie year. Yes, Oden fouled way too much. He probably will always have a high number of fouls, but completely recovering from his knee surgery, which takes two years, should cut down on that.

Here is a nice article that shows how good he was

http://www.lolsports.com/nba/oden/

Ok, so don't freak out too much, because I'm not saying that Oden is a bust yet or that I wouldn't want him for a fair deal, but I don't really put a ton of stock in those numbers. The PER in such limited minutes is nice and all, but I might as well say that Marreese Speights is going to be a star big man, since he had a PER of over 18 as a rookie. The fact is, Oden has been injured a lot in the last 3 years, with two leg problems after being red flagged before he was drafted. As has been mentioned, he does foul a heck of a lot, and couldn't stay on the floor for very long at all last year. That's a lot of question marks for a prospect.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#62 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:15 am

did that guy just say Rubio doesn't have value because he's unproven, then in the very next paragraph go on about how valuable Oden is by using the rarely seen per '32 minute' guideline?
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#63 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:25 am

revprodeji wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:
big3_8_19_21 wrote:Rubio stated TODAY that the one thing he is concerned with is getting minutes and that he WILL come over if he gets minutes. I don't know why there is so much "Ricky hates Minny" commotion...probably because the media WANTS him to hate the Wolves, despite that not being the truth at all.

I agree, I think Flynn and being no.5 has set him down this course most of all. Not necessarily Minny or your guys' roster.

MN wants to play them together. Flynn is a scorer who defends the pg, and Rubio is the pg that defends the SG (kid is a 6'5 18 yr old) Kahn said in a letter to fans that "He will be our starting point guard here the moment he walks through our front door. We may have to wait a year, or even two, but he is worth the wait. We must be patient. " The team wants to build around Rubio. Flynn compliments that.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wol ... avid-kahn/

Despite Rubio's height, I think him guarding SG's at this point is a stretch. Can they play together? No, I don't think so at all, both absolutely need the ball in their hands to be effective. Maybe that isn't Rubio's issue though.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#64 » by tviper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:03 am

one thing I haven't read is that Kahn is in a no lose situation...if they are great together, the Wolves win big-time and have the last laugh...if they are so-so or not so great together, everyone will say it is because they are both point guards and they can't co-exist, and they will be able to get value for one...worst case scenario is that one assumes the starter role and the other comes off of the bench, and I don't believe either player will let that happen (personal opinion)...
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#65 » by tviper » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:05 am

I always assumed that Rubio would go back in play in Spain, but after just reading a poster on the Rubio thread (I think), the team needs Rubio to come to the NBA for money reasons. If, in fact, that is an accurate report, then Rubio is here next year and it is only a matter of who he is playing for...perhaps that is why ESPN goes on and on about Kahn's "mistake"...but I think they have it exactly backwards, this is a great situation for the Wolves because they hold all of the leverage...
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#66 » by KG_Wolves » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:12 am

Flynn is much more valuable than Fernandez so I don't like this trade idea. Flynn has Chris Paul potential lets let the kid play.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#67 » by revprodeji » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:34 am

EddieJonesFan wrote:
Despite Rubio's height, I think him guarding SG's at this point is a stretch. Can they play together? No, I don't think so at all, both absolutely need the ball in their hands to be effective. Maybe that isn't Rubio's issue though.

Rubio has played with a pg before and enjoyed it. Rubio also likes to come off screens to get the ball in an 18 ft range and then make a move. Flynn is more of a scorer and has a very good catch-shoot ppr.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
LOOSH
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#68 » by LOOSH » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:01 am

Rubio and Flynn can't play together in the NBA, they don't compliment each other and it would be a disaster defensively. Flynn is more of a scorer than Rubio, but he's not a scoring guard, he's a PG, both of these guys need the ball in their hands. Flynn is Minny's guy, Rubio will be traded.

Kahn is just saying all this crap to create the largest amount of leverage he can, and he's right, there is no rush for Rubio to come over now, none at all, worst that can happen is you get to see how good Johnny Flynn really is and Rubio matures another year. Kahn is handling this all very well.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#69 » by Tirion » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:14 am

Flynn is Minny's guy, Rubio will be traded.

There is no indication at all, that Kahn prefers Flynn over Rubio. In fact everything he said leads to the opposite. Yeah, Flynn was higher on Minny's draft board than Curry, DeRozan and Jennings, but that's it. Kahn fully understands who Ricky is, what kind of talent he posesses and how much income he would generate. If Rubio and Flynn can't play together in the league, the one who's gonna be traded will be Flynn. He's a very nice prospect, but players like him come out every year, whereas Ricky is a once in a decade kind of talent.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#70 » by AQuintus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:23 am

This whole situation reminds me of the Sonics drafting Durant and then trading to get Green. I don't remember, though, did everyone just assume in 2007 that Durant was going to be immediately traded because he had a higher salary? Or did people realize that it would be incredibly stupid to trade the guy with the much higher upside and much more talent? Or, a third option I guess, did they realize that Green and Durant could perhaps play together or maybe even have one back up the other?
Sephiroth
Senior
And1: 93

Post#71 » by Sephiroth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:32 am

Wondering if POR would have done a #18 (Lawson/Teague at the time) and #28 for Rudy?

Big fan of Rudy...too bad he plays for POR.
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#72 » by call.me.dude » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 am

Sephiroth wrote:Wondering if POR would have done a #18 (Lawson/Teague at the time) and #28 for Rudy?

Big fan of Rudy...too bad he plays for POR.

No Sorry. We want either high-quality veterans that fit our needs like Hedo, Miller, Hinrich or Top 5 talent (in this draft) prospects at PG. That includes Rubio and, because he's a good fit next to Roy, Curry (though only if it didn't cost us much since Bayless has also good potential and we have Rudy as a shooter). Not even Flynn, which says a lot because I really love that guy.

We don't want to get any younger, except if we had the chance to get Rubio. At least, that's how I see it.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#73 » by casey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:28 am

Tirion wrote:
Flynn is Minny's guy, Rubio will be traded.
There is no indication at all, that Kahn prefers Flynn over Rubio. In fact everything he said leads to the opposite.

Well, Rubio pretty much had to be picked because of his value at #5. We could get more in a trade than what the 5th pick is generally worth. Whereas Flynn wasn't valued all that highly by other teams, yet we still took him at #6 even though we had just drafted another PG. And Kahn could be talking up Rubio to try to increase his trade value. Not that I necessarily think Kahn prefers Flynn, just sayin.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,277

Post#74 » by tribulations » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:08 am

KG_Wolves wrote:Flynn is much more valuable than Fernandez so I don't like this trade idea. Flynn has Chris Paul potential lets let the kid play.

word. why is everyone so keen to trade this cat? just let him go and get it done on the floor and in the meantime off the floor either a) work on a deal for rubio, or b) put in the hours to show rubio the love and coax him to come play in minny whether it be now or in the following year
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#75 » by AQuintus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:21 am

casey wrote:Well, Rubio pretty much had to be picked because of his value at #5. We could get more in a trade than what the 5th pick is generally worth. Whereas Flynn wasn't valued all that highly by other teams, yet we still took him at #6 even though we had just drafted another PG. And Kahn could be talking up Rubio to try to increase his trade value. Not that I necessarily think Kahn prefers Flynn, just sayin.

So all those efforts to trade up into the top 3 to draft Rubio were just some super plan to raise is trade value?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,426

Post#76 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 am

Ideally in a couple years we have a rotation of 8 or 9 high-quality guys, and flynn fits perfectly as the 3rd guard. Do you invest the 6th pick in a 3rd guard?
In this weak draft that might be the best you can hope for.
who are those 8 or 9 guys on a championship level team?
1. PG - Rubio - 34 min (If he reaches his potential)
2. PF/C - Jefferson - 36 min
3. SG/Big Time Perimeter scorer - ? Ellington - 32 min
4. PF - K-Love - 34 min
5. SF - Gomes? (ideally good catch/shooter and decent defender, think shane battier) - 28 min
6. 3rd Guard - Jonny Flynn - defensive stud, ideal to run 2nd unit, can play "nate robinson" role while being more of a willing passer. - 30 min
7. C/3rd Big - Defender, Rebounder, Shotblocker - defensive stud - 26 min
8. Backup sf/sg - Ideally great perimeter d, outside stopper. Corey Brewer? - 20 min

Rubio, Jefferson, Love, Flynn, Brewer all fit ideally their role, and ellington/gomes are nice short term fits with the potential to be more. Craig smith and telfair are even nice 9th & 10th players.
Find "3" through our draft pick next year or a trade, and "7" through a trade or our owed picks.
If we still had deandre jordan he would be a perfect "7".

The fact is everyone drafted after Flynn is a huge question mark or has a huge hole in his game.
Steph Curry can't guard either guard position, is frail, and his wingspan is just as small as flynn's.
derozan has no outside game and has bust written all over him.
Honestly Flynn was the safest bet of anyone left other than jordan hill, and hill is yet another PF.

wayne ellington had much better college production than derozan, and is already a much better shooter. he gives up to demar 1 inch in height (6'6.5 to 6'5.5) and 2.5 inches in reach (6'9 to 6'6.5) and .5 inches in vert (38.5 to 38). He outbenched derozan 13 to 5. He is 2 years older. Outside of length and age, derozan is not a better prospect, but he has more "potential" because of all the hype and flash. But watching ellington improve so much in his 3 years at UNC shows a great work ethic.
He improved his vert by 4 inches and his bench from 7 to 13 from the '08 draft camp to the '09.
His body was incredibly soft at this time last year, and now he is NBA-strong. His defense may be a question mark, but he could be a scorer in the michael redd vein in the NBA.

I don't think reaching for derozan was a good idea, I don't think much of value would have been gained in a trade down anyway, and I like the pick of elllington at 28 and flynn at 6 over derozan or curry at 6 and anyone else at 28.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#77 » by casey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 am

AQuintus wrote:
casey wrote:Well, Rubio pretty much had to be picked because of his value at #5. We could get more in a trade than what the 5th pick is generally worth. Whereas Flynn wasn't valued all that highly by other teams, yet we still took him at #6 even though we had just drafted another PG. And Kahn could be talking up Rubio to try to increase his trade value. Not that I necessarily think Kahn prefers Flynn, just sayin.

So all those efforts to trade up into the top 3 to draft Rubio were just some super plan to raise is trade value?

"Not that I necessarily think Kahn prefers Flynn, just sayin."
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Marc
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#78 » by Marc » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:52 pm

Rudy Left Fuming With Portland's Pursuit Of Turkoglu : http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... _turkoglu/
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#79 » by john2jer » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:10 pm

I think we should trade casey for Rudy. Guarantees we get Rubio.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#80 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:11 pm

Marc wrote:Rudy Left Fuming With Portland's Pursuit Of Turkoglu : http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... _turkoglu/

I saw that..Kahn should call em up...Flynn for Rudy.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves