violet palmer
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,604

Re: Summer Cap Space Numbers 

Post#22 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
I didn't realize that. In other words that means we couldn't use the MLE for the entire cap year even if later moves brought us to the cap?

Then I think perhaps it is bleak and I think Kahn may have messed up by not using our expiring contracts when we had a chance. That's a lot less flexibility than I thought.

An Al Jefferson trade might be mandatory then. His impact does not justify him taking 1/4 of our available cap space. IMO, that's a negative contract for a team currently faced with the limitation of the salary cap. Without the ability to sign a free agent at least as good as Gay, in my opinion, pretty much means we would need a rookie to have a Brandon Roy like impact next year or the year after. That seems highly unlikely, with the exception of Wall or Tuner (40% chance). And if that's the case I don't see enough talent on the roster to get us into the playoffs in the next two years.

I think it's more likely that Kahn knows something that shrink doesn't than vice versa, so I'm gonna assume Kahn knows what he's talking about when he says we'll have 12-14 million in cap space. I also think Kahn has had a specific number in mind with his moves last summer through now. Maybe I'm wrong and Kahn is an idiot, we'll have to see how this plays out.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#23 » by Krapinsky » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
I didn't realize that. In other words that means we couldn't use the MLE for the entire cap year even if later moves brought us to the cap?

Then I think perhaps it is bleak and I think Kahn may have messed up by not using our expiring contracts when we had a chance. That's a lot less flexibility than I thought.

An Al Jefferson trade might be mandatory then. His impact does not justify him taking 1/4 of our available cap space. IMO, that's a negative contract for a team currently faced with the limitation of the salary cap. Without the ability to sign a free agent at least as good as Gay, in my opinion, pretty much means we would need a rookie to have a Brandon Roy like impact next year or the year after. That seems highly unlikely, with the exception of Wall or Tuner (40% chance). And if that's the case I don't see enough talent on the roster to get us into the playoffs in the next two years.

I think it's more likely that Kahn knows something that shrink doesn't than vice versa, so I'm gonna assume Kahn knows what he's talking about when he says we'll have 12-14 million in cap space. I also think Kahn has had a specific number in mind with his moves last summer through now. Maybe I'm wrong and Kahn is an idiot, we'll have to see how this plays out.

You're probably right. Thanks for talking me of the ledge.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,838

Post#24 » by C.lupus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Kahn seems to think we'll have 12-13 million. I don't doubt your numbers shrink, I'm just curious where the discrepency is.

Maybe he's planning on trading the CHA and Utah picks???? That would bring it to around $13m.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,260

Post#25 » by shrink » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:05 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Kahn seems to think we'll have 12-13 million. I don't doubt your numbers shrink, I'm just curious where the discrepency is.

Maybe he's planning on trading the CHA and Utah picks???? That would bring it to around $13m.

Excellent theory C.lupus. One of the most important points in a discussion here is that a pick, then "rights to a player" carries no salary-matching weight whatsoever. It only carries matching weight when it becomes a player. In other words, you can include a pick in a trade before they are drafted and become players, and it doesn't turn into a drag on your salary.

Just as an example - not a trade suggestion:

On June 28th, Jefferson ($12) + 2 picks ($0) for Granger ($10) fits.

On July 28th, Jefferson ($13) and the two PLAYERS signed with those picks ($3) does not fit with Granger ($11.2)

IND would be taking on too much salary, violating the 125% + $100,000 max rule
shrink
RealGM

Post#26 » by shrink » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:you mean that team that plays in a financially rigged league?

As opposed to a league with a rigged lottery system and referees that fix games?

for the record there was only one ref that fixes game, the rest are just wildly incompetent

Stuff like this is what makes me keep coming back to this board. Great stuff.
shrink
RealGM

Post#27 » by shrink » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 pm

Worm Guts wrote: I think it's more likely that Kahn knows something that shrink doesn't than vice versa, so I'm gonna assume Kahn knows what he's talking about when he says we'll have 12-14 million in cap space. I also think Kahn has had a specific number in mind with his moves last summer through now. Maybe I'm wrong and Kahn is an idiot, we'll have to see how this plays out.

Is you'ze saying im dum?

Seriously though, its a bit odd. Whenever Kahn has given his cap estimates in interviews all season, theyve always been higher than we projected. you have to figure that even if he's not an expert himself, he's got his own shrinks on staff feeding him the real numbers, so I agree that there must be something going on that isn't apparent.
shrink
RealGM

Post#28 » by shrink » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Two other trade commodities besides picks that move salary without having to be matched:

Pekovic and Rubio

I didn't include Pek's potential salary in the numbers, but I'd be disappointed to see either traded.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#29 » by casey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:It looks like there are about 6 teams that might have TPEs large enough to possibly take on Gomes prior to 6/30 (CHA, Den, LAC, Utah, Orl, NOH). [b]Does the 25%+100K rule apply for matching salaries to TPEs?[/b{

Nope
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#30 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:18 pm

shrink wrote:

Two other trade commodities besides picks that move salary without having to be matched:

Pekovic and Rubio

I didn't include Pek's potential salary in the numbers, but I'd be disappointed to see either traded.

Pek could also stay in Europe another year without affecting the salary cap. His contract for Panth has another year I think.
shrink
RealGM

Post#31 » by shrink » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:20 pm

casey wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:It looks like there are about 6 teams that might have TPEs large enough to possibly take on Gomes prior to 6/30 (CHA, Den, LAC, Utah, Orl, NOH). [b]Does the 25%+100K rule apply for matching salaries to TPEs?[/b{

Nope

Good point Biff.

Casey's right: TPE rules is 100% + $100,000. Since Gomes is paid $3,892,500 this season so a team would have to have a TPE worth $3,792,500. That would mean UTA, ORL, and NOH, and all three would be over the lux.

This summer, when Gomes is 4.26, UTA and ORL would be able to add him, as well as any team far enough under the cap to absorb his salary.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#32 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:23 pm

shrink wrote:
Worm Guts wrote: I think it's more likely that Kahn knows something that shrink doesn't than vice versa, so I'm gonna assume Kahn knows what he's talking about when he says we'll have 12-14 million in cap space. I also think Kahn has had a specific number in mind with his moves last summer through now. Maybe I'm wrong and Kahn is an idiot, we'll have to see how this plays out.

Is you'ze saying im dum?

Seriously though, its a bit odd. Whenever Kahn has given his cap estimates in interviews all season, theyve always been higher than we projected. you have to figure that even if he's not an expert himself, he's got his own shrinks on staff feeding him the real numbers, so I agree that there must be something going on that isn't apparent.

I've been thinking that maybe he's projecting a higher cap than you, but yeah, I'd expect Kahn would not only know the salary pretty well himself but that he'd also have others helping him out. Unlike McHale or alot of other GM's, Kahn is an administrator. Stuff like the salary cap should be his strength.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#33 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:27 pm

casey wrote:

Nope

Probably not 6 teams then. Utah, Orl, and NOH for sure. Is it legal to combine multiple TPEs? Then Den and LAC could be included.
shrink
RealGM

Post#34 » by shrink » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Can't combine TPE's.

I edited in the previous post. This summer, TPE's of UTA and ORL could be used, as well as any team with raw cap space.

I'm doubtful we'd see a trade like that, but you're sharp to see the back door mechanically.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#35 » by casey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 pm

shrink wrote:I'm doubtful we'd see a trade like that, but you're sharp to see the back door mechanically.

There's a sexually explicit joke in there somewhere.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
gensu3k1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#36 » by gensu3k1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:06 am

I think that while signing a max free agent would obviously be awesome (LeBron! ZOMG LOL), having only 10m in cap room isn't exactly a bad situation.

I wonder how much we'd have to offer Morrow to have GSW not match it. 4 yrs, 28m?

If the Wolves came out of this offseason with Pekovic, good draft picks and Morrow, I'd be more than satisfied.
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#37 » by Narf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:50 am

I think the number you got wrong Shrink is 54 million. I'm hearing it's going to be closer to 57 mil. I thought for sure we'd trade Gomes, but I guess not.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#38 » by Krapinsky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:51 am

ZOMG at offering Morrow 4 yrs 28 million!!!!
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,090

Post#39 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:34 am

Krapinsky wrote:ZOMG at offering Morrow 4 yrs 28 million!!!!

Well, Marvin Williams was "worth" 11 million a year...
Breakdown777
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#40 » by Breakdown777 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 am

shangrila wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:ZOMG at offering Morrow 4 yrs 28 million!!!!

Well, Marvin Williams was "worth" 11 million a year...

He was worth 11 mil. a year before the cap numbers were projected to drop drastically, and before the nba economy totally tanked, AND the hawks overpaid to keep him.

I see Morrow signing to a team for somewhere around 2 years for 8-10 mil. I see most middle of the pack to roster filler talents signing short deals in the hopes that the cap number will increase soon and they'll be able to sign a better contract in just a few years.
"Llevaré mi talento a Minnesota".

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves