ImageImageImageImageImage

Gomez a Goner (To MTL)

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Gomez a Goner (To MTL) 

Post#1 » by Jakespeare » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 pm

The New York Rangers have found a team for Scott Gomez, trading the center to the Montreal Canadiens.
Gomez
Gomez

The Rangers sent Gomez, forward Tom Pyatt and defenseman Mike Busto to the Canadiens in exchange for forward Chris Higgins and defensemen Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko.

The Rangers have been trying to deal Gomez since their season ended. The 29-year-old Alaskan, whose career-high point total was 84 in 2005-06 with the Devils, dipped to 58 points last season (16 goals, 42 assists) in 77 games while earning $8 million. It was his lowest offensive output since 2002-03 in New Jersey.

Gomez has five years and $33.5 million left on his deal -- $8 million next season, $8 million in 2010-11, $7.5 million in 2011-12, $5.5 million in 2012-13 and $4.5 million in 2013-14.

Higgins, 26, is a restricted free agent. He also disappointed last season, putting up only 23 points in 57 games after putting up a career-high 52 points the previous season.

Finally! The man has been so out of place and has been a colossal waste of money. It's fair to say he needs a real wing with scoring talent to really flourish, but I am very happy that he is now Montréal's problem. I am also happy with the return. Getting McDonagh and Higgins is a real nice return.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Re: Gomez a Goner (To MTL) 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:16 pm

Solid prospects, I bet Higgins at the very least duplicates Scott's production for half the price.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jakespeare
General Manager

Post#3 » by Jakespeare » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:25 pm

Now that they have all this cap room, i'm curious to see who they go after. Maybe Gaborik or Hossa
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#4 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:03 pm

Elon wrote:Now that they have all this cap room, i'm curious to see who they go after. Maybe Gaborik or Hossa

I have trouble envisioning either of those two signing with us for some reason. I have a feeling Heatley might be the prize of this cap space. If only Sather could find a taker for Rosival or Redden, I wouldn't care who we added.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jakespeare
General Manager

Post#5 » by Jakespeare » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:08 pm

j4remi wrote:
Elon wrote:Now that they have all this cap room, i'm curious to see who they go after. Maybe Gaborik or Hossa

I have trouble envisioning either of those two signing with us for some reason. I have a feeling Heatley might be the prize of this cap space. If only Sather could find a taker for Rosival or Redden, I wouldn't care who we added.

It sounds like Heatley won't waive his no trade clause
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#6 » by Slamm Goodbody » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:32 pm

I'll miss Scotty. He underperformed but he wasn't working out.

Want to keep Rozival but would give anything to dump Wade Redden.

In other news, we just signed Donald Brashear, who I absolutely hate.
Mardy Collins Superfan
Jakespeare
General Manager

Post#7 » by Jakespeare » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:53 pm

Well Orr signed with Toronto so we needed some more toughness/fighters. At least he won't be injuring our own players...

Return to New York Rangers