An Extension For Alfie?

Moderator: BigSlam

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

An Extension For Alfie? 

Post#1 » by BigSlam » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 pm

It's being reported this morning that the Sens are looking to lock Alfie up before he becomes an UFA.

I'm hearing $20 mil over 4 years (front loaded, something like 7, 7, 3, 3)

He's 35 now, that will take him to 40.

Money well spent?
B B M F 'ers
Dennis Vial
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: An Extension For Alfie? 

Post#2 » by Dennis Vial » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Good deal and Alfie should be a Sen for life.

Our problem now is that we're following how TB built their team a couple seasons ago after their Cup win and investing all of our money in 4 players. (Alfie, Heater, Spezz and Fish) Something's gotta give soon, because you can't be a contender when almost half you payroll is taken up by just 4 players. Someone's going before the deadline and my guess its either Heater or Spezza.

We have to acquire goaltending in some capacity because its this team's achilles heal. Your team is only as good as the keeper that's backing you up. We have no confidence in either Auld or Gerber, so until we can get someone decent between the pipes this team will continue to underachieve and disappoint. :(
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: An Extension For Alfie? 

Post#3 » by BigSlam » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:00 pm

I don't know Dennis, Auld has been really soild. No brain farts, consistant, smart. We are only averaging 2.46 goals against - good for 6th in the league (and that takes into account Gerbers 3.1 goals against).

While Auld is no super star, he's cheap and he's been good. I also like his size.

I do agree though - too much money invested in too few. I'm guessing if anyone goes it will be Fish. Can't afford to carry him. Only problem is - who wants him and what would we get in return?

It's easy to say get rid of Spez, but he's a 100pt guy - and they don't grow on trees.

No way can we afford to trade Alfie or Heater.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Ottawa Senators