Confidence...

Moderator: BigSlam

CanuckPete
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 37

Confidence... 

Post#1 » by CanuckPete » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:51 pm

How much more (or less) confident are you going into the playoffs with an experienced, and legit #1 Ray Emery in net, as opposed to past seasons with other goalies?
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#2 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:02 pm

If the Senators lose, it won't be Emery's fault
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 190

Post#3 » by 9th Wonder » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:21 pm

Wasn't even really his fault last year.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#4 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:27 pm

9th Wonder wrote:Wasn't even really his fault last year.

didn't say that it was
CanuckPete
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 37

Post#5 » by CanuckPete » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:25 pm

The vibe feels different this year.

NJ is so scared of the Sens that they fired their coach. ;)
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 190

Post#6 » by 9th Wonder » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:34 pm

MAS wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

didn't say that it was

That wasn't directed at you. Just the overwhelming sentiment after last year's playoffs.
matt2727
Junior
And1: 4

Post#7 » by matt2727 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:56 pm

besides lalime a few years ago, when he let in two weak goals against toronto in game 7, I don't really think that goaltending has been teh major issue.

The main reason for the sens struggles has been there inability to score goals. they usually get a lt of shots and all that, but they just cant come up with enough goals or more importantly big goals when they need them.

I think emery will be fine in the playoffs and he'll continue to do his usual thing and just be solid and steady, hopefully he can steal a game or two and come up with big saves when we need them, but really It's all about the offence being able to come through.

I think we have been arguably the best team in the league for the last few months and I really like the team this year. I think it's probably the best team we've ever had going into the playoffs. We have great depth, and all 4 lines can score, and we have a good balance of types of players and multi-dimensional players. I can't wait for the playoffs to start!

Go Sens!
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#8 » by BringBackPopeye » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:38 pm

goaltending hasn't been the problem really but it also hasn't been a strength. Playing behind a goalie that you know will make the saves when you need them gives the team a lot more confidence to go out and take some risks. Thats what seemed to be missing from the sens in the past, when the games had a lot on the line the players tightened up and got away from their strengths
Dennis Vial
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Dennis Vial » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:37 pm

matt2727 wrote:besides lalime a few years ago, when he let in two weak goals against toronto in game 7, I don't really think that goaltending has been teh major issue.

The main reason for the sens struggles has been there inability to score goals. they usually get a lt of shots and all that, but they just cant come up with enough goals or more importantly big goals when they need them.

I think emery will be fine in the playoffs and he'll continue to do his usual thing and just be solid and steady, hopefully he can steal a game or two and come up with big saves when we need them, but really It's all about the offence being able to come through.

I think we have been arguably the best team in the league for the last few months and I really like the team this year. I think it's probably the best team we've ever had going into the playoffs. We have great depth, and all 4 lines can score, and we have a good balance of types of players and multi-dimensional players. I can't wait for the playoffs to start!

Go Sens!

Although I don't entirely disagree with you, goaltending has always been an issue with the Sens. Not making excuses but its a mental & confidence thing for the Sens forwards and defensemen. If you don't have confidence in your goaltending, you tend to lag at crucial times. "Lalemon" was absolutely horrible and was a Senator for too long and Emery played fantastic last playoffs, but the inexperience was a factor too.

But yes, the Sens big guns have always had a tendency of disappearing when it counts the most, that being playoff time. Alfie, Heatley and Spezza were pretty much kept off the scoresheet during last year's playoffs. The guys that seem to bringit for the Sens during the playoffs are guys like Neil, Fisher, Vermette and Schafer. The hustlers and grinders.

Time to erase the past and bring it for real during these playoffs. If we don't win the Cup, I expect nothing less than a date in Eastern Conference Finals. A 1st or even 2nd round loss will once again be a huge disappointment here in Ottawa in my opinion. We blow it this year and I don't what this team needs to make it over the hump. :noway:
Seebs
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#10 » by Seebs » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:39 pm

MAS wrote:If the Senators lose, it won't be Emery's fault

agreed
Garbage2Hero
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Garbage2Hero » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:39 pm

Emery has shown that he can get the job done..whether its the playoffs or regular season. the big question is will they choke like they did last year?

Return to Ottawa Senators